Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sharks" is the best expansion name of the last 20 years. Good thing the question wasn't posed much later, or they'd have missed the cut!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In my freshman dorm there was a kid whose legal last name was "Thrasher". He was tall and skinny and he loved skateboarding. To this day I can't think of the Atlanta Thrashers without thinking of that goofy curly-haired red-head and his "radical extreme" skateboarding.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So if the Hurricanes rebrand due to the "sensitivity" of their name, then I suppose Colorado will be on that bandwagon at some point in the future? The Sharks need to change too. Shark attacks are nothing to be joked about. And the Flames? Better talk to Smokey the Bear about how inappropriate that name is.

Sorry but that's idiotic. Guess we should change Lions and all Tiger-related teams because some moron got eaten by one in a NYC apartment recently too. Hey, Pistons must go because of the financial and emotional distress when a piston fails in someone's car. What about Saints and the Catholic priest scandals? 49ers promotes economic class envy. Bears and Bruins...same as Lions and Tigers, munch munch. Bucks are targets of violent non-vegetarians! So are Ducks!

No matter what any team is named, there will be some liberal whiner there to claim they're offended. As a Redskins fan, I've been putting up with them for decades.

It's bad enough the Bullets' identity was thrown away for a horrible name like the "Wizards". If this is true and really happens, it's a joke...a crock. If people are "so sensitive" that the name of a sports team stresses them out, I fear the future of our civilization. We've already feminized the males in our society enough, lets not make them overly-sensitive girly-men on top of it.

Thankfully the U of Miami will never consider this...at least they better not.

I could be interpreting wrong but I think GMW79's post was intended as sarcasm...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I'm sure most of the rest of the members of this forum are as intelligent as Elliott.

Buster, on the other hand... adds a few more good examples of the type of idiocy I was decrying.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

So if the Hurricanes rebrand due to the "sensitivity" of their name, then I suppose Colorado will be on that bandwagon at some point in the future? The Sharks need to change too. Shark attacks are nothing to be joked about. And the Flames? Better talk to Smokey the Bear about how inappropriate that name is.

Sorry but that's idiotic. Guess we should change Lions and all Tiger-related teams because some moron got eaten by one in a NYC apartment recently too. Hey, Pistons must go because of the financial and emotional distress when a piston fails in someone's car. What about Saints and the Catholic priest scandals? 49ers promotes economic class envy. Bears and Bruins...same as Lions and Tigers, munch munch. Bucks are targets of violent non-vegetarians! So are Ducks!

No matter what any team is named, there will be some liberal whiner there to claim they're offended. As a Redskins fan, I've been putting up with them for decades.

It's bad enough the Bullets' identity was thrown away for a horrible name like the "Wizards". If this is true and really happens, it's a joke...a crock. If people are "so sensitive" that the name of a sports team stresses them out, I fear the future of our civilization. We've already feminized the males in our society enough, lets not make them overly-sensitive girly-men on top of it.

I could be interpreting wrong but I think GMW79's post was intended as sarcasm...

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I'm sure most of the rest of the members of this forum are as intelligent as Elliott.

Buster, on the other hand... adds a few more good examples of the type of idiocy I was decrying.

damn, Buster! really? LMAO

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I liked Thrashers as an expansion name. Strong local connection, and the name itself had an aggressiveness to it (despite it not being a predatory bird) that worked without being ridiculous.

Except that the majority of people outside of Georgia had no idea that a Thrasher was a bird, and thought that the team had some kind of skate boarding connection.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I liked Thrashers as an expansion name. Strong local connection, and the name itself had an aggressiveness to it (despite it not being a predatory bird) that worked without being ridiculous.

Except that the majority of people outside of Georgia had no idea that a Thrasher was a bird, and thought that the team had some kind of skate boarding connection.

Sad but true.

untitled-6.jpg

After the game Vancouver is considering a radical change to their uniforms

Minnesota-460f_799578c.jpg

BFBS

Haha! well played.

Don Cherry would would suggest that they've gone with an entire roster of European players...they're all wearing visors!

I can haz sig?

Where's YOUR sense of humor?

Didn't get my Onionian post? Munch munch!

87Redskins.png

I mean, sometimes it's pretty hard to detect sarcasm over the internet, but I definitely interpreted your response as serious, while GMW's, is, clearly, sarcastic. Whatever, though, you should hit up the onion, see if there's any job openings...

After the game Vancouver is considering a radical change to their uniforms

Minnesota-460f_799578c.jpg

BFBS

Haha! well played.

Don Cherry would would suggest that they've gone with an entire roster of European players...they're all wearing visors!

Honestly, the color scheme is better than Vancouver's current. :P

Archived