Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People suggesting that a team will become a travelling team in serious conversation makes my head hurt. These types of teams didn't exactly work back in the day, and they certainly won't work in the 21st century.

But it does work if "leafs" is a verb. So you can say that maple from Toronto sprouts leaves. Or even better, that maple from Toronto leafs through a book.

This comment is pretty ridiculous (honestly). I don't know why you think the last sentence is "even better"... :wacko:

Maple's not even a noun (it's an adjective), so it can't leaf through a book. Show me a maple. Not a maple tree, not a maple shrub, not maple syrup, not a maple table...just a maple.

In this proper-noun team name context, maple leafs refers to the, well, leaf of the tree. If you need help, check out the logo. It's a leaf. It's not "leafing" through a book.

Maple can be used as a plural noun. You can't say you've got a maple, but you can say that you've got some maple. Could refer to the sap, or the wood. Ask any Vermonter.

As an aside, I can't believe this topic has turned into a grammar debate.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

But it does work if "leafs" is a verb. So you can say that maple from Toronto sprouts leaves. Or even better, that maple from Toronto leafs through a book.

This comment is pretty ridiculous (honestly). I don't know why you think the last sentence is "even better"... :wacko:

Maple's not even a noun (it's an adjective), so it can't leaf through a book. Show me a maple. Not a maple tree, not a maple shrub, not maple syrup, not a maple table...just a maple.

In this proper-noun team name context, maple leafs refers to the, well, leaf of the tree. If you need help, check out the logo. It's a leaf. It's not "leafing" through a book.

Maple can be used as a plural noun. You can't say you've got a maple, but you can say that you've got some maple. Could refer to the sap, or the wood. Ask any Vermonter.

If you're a delivery truck driver, and you say you have a truck full of maple...the question is, maple what? Furniture, syrup, sap, et al? When people say they have a couple of maples in the backyard, they're really saying "I have a couple of maple trees". I still think it's more of an adjective/descriptor than a regular noun.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You cant?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

People suggesting that a team will become a travelling team in serious conversation makes my head hurt. These types of teams didn't exactly work back in the day, and they certainly won't work in the 21st century.

OITGDNHL

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

:lol:

You cant?

Ummm...you forgot the apostrophe in "can't"... :lol:

I can haz sig?

:lol:

You cant?

Ummm...you forgot the apostrophe in "can't"... :lol:

Well played.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

==BUMP==

A thought crossed my mind...If this upcoming change is a not-so-major thing, could it be that Carolina is introducing a dark gray color into their scheme? I could be wrong, but I don't recall a dark, charcoal-ish gray ever being used in the NHL before.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Maple Leafs is fine by the way. One player is a Maple Leaf. You aren't pluralising the leaf though, your pluralising the player, to make a team. So different pluralising rules apply. In short to emphasize that it's the humans that are plural, not a collection of leaves, you just add an s. It's complicated but grammatically correct.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Maple Leafs is fine by the way. One player is a Maple Leaf. You aren't pluralising the leaf though, your pluralising the player, to make a team. So different pluralising rules apply. In short to emphasize that it's the humans that are plural, not a collection of leaves, you just add an s. It's complicated but grammatically correct.

You giving grammar tips is like Rex Ryan giving fitness tips.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maple Leafs is fine by the way. One player is a Maple Leaf. You aren't pluralising the leaf though, your pluralising the player, to make a team.

This is not correct (see: Timberwolves, not Timberwolfs). The right answer has already been posted enough times in this thread. Please don't get everyone started again with misinformation like this.

By this logic, Kevin Garnett was a longtime Timberwolve. We're making this harder than it needs to be. "Leafs" is a plural noun.

EDIT: dammit, you!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So wait is Ted Williams a Red Sock? I'm more confused now than before!

Yes, because "Sox" was headline shorthand for "Socks," itself a nickname for "Stockings." You're really talking about the Boston Red Socks, you're just using proto-Vince Russo spelling conventionz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So wait is Ted Williams a Red Sock? I'm more confused now than before!

Yes, because "Sox" was headline shorthand for "Socks," itself a nickname for "Stockings." You're really talking about the Boston Red Socks, you're just using proto-Vince Russo spelling conventionz.

You are actually incorrect. If a player is a famous Dodger, or a famous Yankee, than another player with the same popularity is a famous Red Sox, not Red Sock. Weird but true. Same with the White Sox. An individual is never called a White Sock or a Red Sock, according to AP journalistic standards.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

its the carolina hurricanes. they are going to rebrand from the Hurricanes to a new name because of the sensitivity of the name Hurricanes in the wake of recent natural disasters. rebrand to include new name, logo, and color scheme.

That would make the most sense. I'm guessing part of their rebranding hinges on what Winnipeg is going to do. Carolina should have a name derived on flight (wright brothers), but it'd be redundant if the Jets were back, so...we'll see.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So if the Hurricanes rebrand due to the "sensitivity" of their name, then I suppose Colorado will be on that bandwagon at some point in the future? The Sharks need to change too. Shark attacks are nothing to be joked about. And the Flames? Better talk to Smokey the Bear about how inappropriate that name is.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Archived