Latest Rumor: NHL Team Expected to Announce Rebranding in 2012

Mac the Knife

When someone says a "Southern" team, though, I don't know why LA or Anaheim would even enter into the discussion. They're in the Southern half of the United States, true, but "Southern" has taken on its own meaning and wouldn't apply to anyone outside the Southeast (to me, even Texas is a stretch when you're talking about "Southern").

To be fair, hockey is a sport where a large portion of the fans consider the entire U.S. "Southern".

Ah, in that case, let me be the first to start the rumor that it's the Detroit Red Wings who are rebranding (and not a moment too soon)! Here's hoping they change it to something sensible, like the Detroit LakeDogz or Skating HC Detroit.

I heard they might be getting rid of their arched nameplate :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really interesting news.

Here's my thoughts regarding the teams that come to mind:

Dallas - Very possible, perhaps a change to "Lonestars".

Carolina - I personally don't think it's them, as they have won a recent cup with the Hurricanes identity (establishing themselves as one of the few success stories in the south). I'm not at all saying it's impossible, they're just not the team I'd bet money on.

Florida - The recent red campaign makes it seem unlikely (why change things up the year before a rebrand?), but some of the reasons mentioned above make you wonder...

Tampa Bay - I'd say no, as they just rebranded.

Nashville - Also planning on changes next year, so I'd say likely no.

Now, these may or may not be counted as "Southern", but just in case...

Phoenix - Definetely possible, if by some miracle they're still around by then. A switch to "Roadrunners" would be pretty cool.

Anaheim - I certainly hope so. Thier identity is among the biggest messes in the NHL. I'd love a return to the Disney era (arguably one of the most unique and identifiable brands in NHL history), but if not that, then something that's much more visually appealing than the steaming pile they've got now.

But the thing that catches my attention most is the OP quoting his friend saying "Something that's never been done in the NHL before." of course this is wide open and could pertain to anything from the name to the uniforms....but my honest-to-goodness first thought was this: what if a team goes the Euro route and throws in an "HC"? Like, "Carolina HC" or "HC Nashville", for example? I'm not saying that's what I'd pull for, but that thought hit me in an instant when I read that quote.

I definitely see this happening

I think all the teams in the US except the Rangers, Bruins, Black Hawks and Red Wings will move to Canada. So Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit will all get teams...but not Hamilton. <_< That should make all the Canadians happy...LOL

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I think all the teams in the US except the Rangers, Bruins, Black Hawks and Red Wings will move to Canada. So Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit will all get teams...but not Hamilton. <_< That should make all the Canadians happy...LOL

And when they all lose in the playoffs, all but Hamilton will be burnt to the ground. (bow)

70389454.png

And when they all lose in the playoffs, all but Hamilton will be burnt to the ground. (bow)

(Shakes hand) as the crowd goes wild.

untitled-6.jpg

Yes! I get to survive!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Dude, epic sig pic peeing on Irsays grave in a Ravens jersey. The irony is that the list of Browns fans waiting to do that to Modell's grave if/when that happens, is countless. I know Ill be there.

Dude, epic sig pic peeing on Irsays grave in a Ravens jersey. The irony is that the list of Browns fans waiting to do that to Modell's grave if/when that happens, is countless. I know Ill be there.

Browns fans? You'd have to stand in line to get to the grave - the line to piss on it would be a few miles long.

$50 says he winds up cremated, just as a final show of spite.

nav-logo.png

Browns fans? You'd have to stand in line to get to the grave - the line to piss on it would be a few miles long.

$50 says he winds up cremated, just as a final show of spite.

Well the way I see it...you all in Cleveland should have seen it coming. If it could happen with a historical franchise like the Colts it could happen with the Browns. And you all have huge stones to carry a grudge...you got a new (partially) NFL funded stadium, all your history and colors and name back. Be happy you only went what 3 years with out the NFL. So if pissing on his grave will make you feel better...go ahead...but I will just keep dropping the Browns off at the Super Bowl every morning. Oh and you should also piss on Al Lerner's grave too...after all he brokered the deal to have the Browns move to Cleveland....I guess you all forget about that.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Did you just say Randy Lerner is jerking off his dead dad?

I think that's what just happened.

I've mentioned the AL patch on their jerseys before. 1/3 don't know what it means, 1/3 had never noticed it was there, and 1/3 say, "yeah, he brought the Browns back. He's a legend!" In conclusion, Browns fans are dumb.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'll never understand why Browns fans let his kid get away with the public masturbation of a permanent patch.

The owner can do whatever he wants. The patch is unnecessary, but it's his team.

the coyotes had a very nice looking uniform set, albeit entirely generic and devoid of character, when they ditched the picasoyote and went to the gretzky-era look...

then they ruined it with the edge system and the colored yoke and no waist stripes. now it's just boring and ugly. before, it was just generic.

Did you just say Randy Lerner is jerking off his dead dad?

I think that's what just happened.

I've mentioned the AL patch on their jerseys before. 1/3 don't know what it means, 1/3 had never noticed it was there, and 1/3 say, "yeah, he brought the Browns back. He's a legend!" In conclusion, Browns fans are dumb.

Wait, the Browns are not in the American League?

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived