NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Does the switch from Reebok to Nike reset the 5-year uniform change limit? Does it allow for tweaks? Or does it only allow for construction-related stuff?

Well it must do something because the Jaguars are doing a full make over in 13 after only 4 season in the current uniform.

Are we expecting a new Jaguars logo as well? While it is a solid logo, I feel like it could use a modernization, much like the Panthers logo just got.

As far Im understanding the logo is being left alone.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A minor-detail Q: Is the "NFL Equipment" patch on the apex of the collar going to change, like going back to just having the NFL logo, as it was before 2002?

As far as I understand it's still going to be the centerpiece of The fly wire at the bottom of the collar.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

As much as I would like that tag to go away (has there ever been a more useless and inaccurate designation?), that was a league initiative, and as such I expect to see it remain.

I am curious if the nike swoosh is going on the sleeve where the reebok logo has been or on the chest where it is on most Nike Jerseys.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Sleeves just like Nike had the last time they were NFL uni providers.

That's what I figured but you just never know.

It's not up to Nike, unless it was negotiated into the new contract - and there's been no indication that the league has made any concessions for Nike that they haven't previously made for any other provider.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's not up to Nike, unless it was negotiated into the new contract - and there's been no indication that the league has made any concessions for Nike that they haven't previously made for any other provider.

Also in Football a sleeve logo is probably worth as much as a chest logo in TV time and exposure, given the nature of the game as a front on contact sport, where a lot of the movement in skills positions come from arms, be they throwing or catching skills, or holding a ball into the chest.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Also in Football a sleeve logo is probably worth as much as a chest logo in TV time and exposure, given the nature of the game as a front on contact sport, where a lot of the movement in skills positions come from arms, be they throwing or catching skills, or holding a ball into the chest.

Which, to piggyback off this point, was the reason sleeve/shoulder numbers were implemented to begin with IIRC.

All of which makes one wonder about the trending disappearance of TV numbers on college football uniforms...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well with the sleeves they get two placements vs 1, but I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would trade that single front logo for the two sleeve logos if given the choice.

I get that a lot of action shots are from the side and that logo gets seen there, but you still can't compare that to having your logo right on the front of every single player, so that it's in every shot that shows them from the chest up, and it's front and center on every replica jersey that fat kids who will never have "side action shots" are wearing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well with the sleeves they get two placements vs 1, but I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would trade that single front logo for the two sleeve logos if given the choice.

I get that a lot of action shots are from the side and that logo gets seen there, but you still can't compare that to having your logo right on the front of every single player, so that it's in every shot that shows them from the chest up, and it's front and center on every replica jersey that fat kids who will never have "side action shots" are wearing.

They're on the chest in college only because the NCAA mandates only one placement. In the early 90's when the logos first appeared, most companies used them on one shoulder. Nike made the chest standard in the late 90s and other companies followed.

Is there any reason to actually believe the Packers are going modern?

No, not really. In fact, in terms of the bulk of the reporting so far, there's every reason to believe the Packers (and about 29 to 30 other teams) are not really changing much of anything, design-wise. New materials, new cuts (so Nike can trump up how "cutting edge" they are and get more high schools and colleges to jump on), but as far as designs? Nope...pretty sure Lights Out will remain disapointed.

Lights Out plus like 90% of casual fans. Casual fans on Twitter want the Jets to look more like Oregon and less old-school. No joke.

I could think of at least a few team I'd rather see get the Nikegon treatment than the Jets, but truth be told, I really wouldn't be upset if they were the ones to get it.

I'm also not expecting any changes to the Packers that are even as significant as anything Forrest Gregg did. If they did go "modern" something would've surfaced locally by now.

From what i've heard, the Swoosh will remain on the sleeve. That goes for the apparel too. Nike originally had many swooshes on the front upper shoulder area, but designs were revised because the NFL told them no...

That's about what I've understood..

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Again, I wish people would remember this. Nike is working for the NFL. The NFL is making the decisions after setting the parameters. Nike isn't going to do whatever they want. Major professional sports entities still control their image. The NBA doesn't allow the adidas logo on the uniform. MLB anly allows the Majestic logo on one sleeve & the New Era logo is not on the side of the hat. FIFA dictates to all their member associations what can and can't be worn in official competition down to the logo on the undershorts. And the NFL isn't going to change from their branding. Maybe you see different jersey materials (like the Giants & Colts already switched too), but they won't look like a Swedish League Hockey Team, with all Nike branding.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Packer uniforms aren't changing was the header on this story. Not so for other teams...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/142340685.html

A lot has been made about the NFL's switch in uniform manufacturers from Reebok to Nike and what changes that might bring.

Here's one thing you can take to the bank: The Packers' colors aren't changing.

I've been assured that by someone in the league who has been briefed on the switchover to Nike. It is true that some teams will make drastic changes to their uniforms in the name of marketing dollars, but the only difference you'll see in Packers uniforms is the material from which they're made.

Nike is known for its futuristic color combinations and mesh look (see University of Oregon), so you can anticipate some change when the uniforms roll out April 3, as ProFootballTalk.com has reported. But most of it will only be noticeable from close up I'm told and from the stands or TV it shouldn't look that different.

Of course, that's from someone who hasn't seen the Packers' new uniforms but is going on what basic knowledge on the switch is around the league.

One could only imagine GM Ted Thompson's hair going from snow white to on fire if he was presented with a uniform that bore any difference than the one the Packers are wearing now, let alone a flourescent green one like Oregon's. He's such a devoted traditionalist that he would never stand for anything but the most minor of changes - if any.

Back in 1993, word got out that then-GM Ron Wolf was considering changing the base color of the Packers uniform from green to blue, but that created a firestorm of criticism from many different directions and the change wasn't made. Neither Thompson nor president Mark Murphy want any part of that.

The technological changes Nike is instituting should make the uniforms appear a little different, but the word is things will be as status quo as possible for the Packers. We'll know in a matter of weeks what Nike's interpretation of green and gold is, but if you see Thompson's head on fire between now and April 3 you'll know something has gone wrong.

It's where I sit.

Archived