College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Maryland started work today on new turf for Byrd Stadium. As I understand, three things are true:

-We're going to FieldTurf to replace the grass field that never looked good at all (and looked even worse once lacrosse season was over with)

-The conversion is entirely funded by Under Armour

-......it's not going to be green.

Rumor has it as either a pewter-type color, or black. And yes, I'm aware of the issues with a black field.

Cold black & silver according to a poster on this Maryland message board. Here is a concept from that same thread.

Maybe Under Armour will use their HeatGear technology to make it so the turf won't get so hot?

If thats real that's pretty cool looking.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, a black field would actually fit the Raiders and they're about the only team that could pull it off.

This is a team that has made absolutely no changes to their uniforms since the 60s. They probably won't be the pioneer of colored fields in the NFL.

As far as Maryland goes...ah hell, why not? They already rolled out the craziest uniform I've ever seen, why not just go all the way and make the field look all crazy and :censored: as well?

Maryland started work today on new turf for Byrd Stadium. As I understand, three things are true:

-We're going to FieldTurf to replace the grass field that never looked good at all (and looked even worse once lacrosse season was over with)

Rumor has it as either a pewter-type color, or black. And yes, I'm aware of the issues with a black field.

Cold black & silver according to a poster on this Maryland message board. Here is a concept from that same thread.

Maybe Under Armour will use their HeatGear technology to make it so the turf won't get so hot?

If I'm not mistaken every color of turf is a different piece, so I that's real that seems like it would be a lot of extra work to install.

Hey, a black field would actually fit the Raiders and they're about the only team that could pull it off.

This is a team that has made absolutely no changes to their uniforms since the 60s. They probably won't be the pioneer of colored fields in the NFL.

They may not have changed their uniforms, but they were likely the first team to consciously build their image around their colors. They probably won't try it while still at the Coliseum, but if they ever do get their own stadium in Oakland, I wouldn't be surprised to see the idea being floated as I'm sure the overall theme of the stadium (even if the turf remains green) would be black, black and more black.

You'd think with Maryland's financial issues the athletic department would prefer the cash value of the black field.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They may not have changed their uniforms, but they were likely the first team to consciously build their image around their colors. They probably won't try it while still at the Coliseum, but if they ever do get their own stadium in Oakland, I wouldn't be surprised to see the idea being floated as I'm sure the overall theme of the stadium (even if the turf remains green) would be black, black and more black.

I'm assuming Dethklok would be handling the in-stadium music in this scenario.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That midfield logo is terrible. It's like the Maryland squashed the flag.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I hope I didn't make it sound like what I posted is what the turf is going to look like. These were made up by a fan.

472035.png
472039.png

I think the NFL only allows green.

No, the rule is that corporate sponsors cannot force a team to change their field color as part of a naming rights deal.

Not the way everyone reported it. The NFL has outlawed non-green fields as a pro-active move in case any sponsors were toying with changing turf colors to match their brand.

http://www.ktvb.com/home/NFL--118519374.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/22/there-will-be-no-blue-nfl-fields/

gYH2mW9.png

I hope I didn't make it sound like what I posted is what the turf is going to look like. These were made up by a fan.

472035.png
472039.png

That subtle turtle shell pattern on a green field would look amazing. But black? Blech.

BFFBFS?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

BFFBFS?

Black for :censored:ing Black's :censored:ing Sake?

Black field for black field's sake.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You'd think with Maryland's financial issues the athletic department would prefer the cash value of the black field.

I'm sure they would, but if somebody is making a donation for that purpose, and that purpose alone (which is the case), you take it, especially since they've been desperate to figure out a way to go to FieldTurf for a while now. The field has never been able to hold up to the abuse it gets put under. As it is, there's already talks that they'll be able to hold more events (high school football and what not) with the new field, which will increase revenues.

472035.png
472039.png

Yeah, those are just concepts. Nothing definite there.

The flag endzones, however, are going to be staying. And while it's not a guarantee that the "Maryland" script logo will be at midfield, that was the logo they went with this year.

This is going to look like absolute :censored: .

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived