2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Chokelahoma strikes again, folks. Somehow, Bob Stoops still has a job even though yearly chokejobs to lesser conference opponents have become tradition in Norman.

I'm not entirely sure I'd classify Bill Snyder the Grey's Wildcats as a "lesser" opponent at the moment.

Well, "lesser" in the rankings at least.

Rankings still show residual bias from the Preseason rankings in which Oklahoma gets a top ten ranking by virtue of existing. Not exactly a good standard at the moment.

Rams, that is also another reason why preseason polls are pointless. What's weirder is that LSU beat Auburn by 2 points and Oregon shuts out Arizona.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Big Ten is to me the most disappointing conference this year as well as C-USA.

The Big East would be kind of disappointing too, technically.

Then why is Louisville, Cincinnati, and Rutgers all undefeated?

Because they've played really bad teams and no one of significance....

Of these teams' opponents, only one has a winning record, and said school is an FCS team.

The Big Ten is to me the most disappointing conference this year as well as C-USA.

The Big East would be kind of disappointing too, technically.

Then why is Louisville, Cincinnati, and Rutgers all undefeated?

Hate to say it, but aside from Rutgers holding on, yesterday was quite a "woof" day for the Big East, including going 0-2 against the MAC. It also helps Rutgers' only opponent of note was going to be Arkansas, and now they're on the level of their other non-conference opponents I guess. I'll give your Cards some credit, at least, for the 2 BCS opponents they had and came away with victories, but that effort against FIU has to be disconcerting.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I don't buy LSU as the #2 team in the nation. Am I alone? I think both Oregon and FSU should jump them.

Edit: Looks like Oregon jumped LSU but not FSU.

I agree. FSU should have jumped them too. I think LSU is going to lose in two weeks when they play Florida. Personally, I think that the SEC East is looking better (well, deeper) than the West this year. I think Florida, South Carolina and Georgia are all title contenders and could win the SEC championship.

Also, IMO, Notre Dame should be in the top 5. Has any other team beaten two top 20 teams? Wins vs. Navy, Michigan State, and Michigan are much more impressive than Buffalo, Missouri, Florida Atlantic and Vandy to me (Georgia?s schedule)

I don't buy LSU as the #2 team in the nation. Am I alone? I think both Oregon and FSU should jump them.

Edit: Looks like Oregon jumped LSU but not FSU.

I agree. FSU should have jumped them too. I think LSU is going to lose in two weeks when they play Florida. Personally, I think that the SEC East is looking better (well, deeper) than the West this year. I think Florida, South Carolina and Georgia are all title contenders and could win the SEC championship.

Also, IMO, Notre Dame should be in the top 5. Has any other team beaten two top 20 teams? Wins vs. Navy, Michigan State, and Michigan are much more impressive than Buffalo, Missouri, Florida Atlantic and Vandy to me (Georgia?s schedule)

But were those top 20 rankings justified? I don't think Michigan State is worth a damn.

But were those top 20 rankings justified? I don't think Michigan State is worth a damn.

Any rankings before at least the 5th week of the season are nothing more than space fillers. They're worthless. And let's not forget that one of the polls is the coach's poll. How these coaches can manage to work 23 hours a day and still keep track of other teams well enough to rank them is an enduring mystery. Than again, all football coaches are geniuses so I guess it is possible.

BB52Big.jpg

Any rankings before at least the 5th week of the season are nothing more than space fillers. They're worthless. And let's not forget that one of the polls is the coach's poll. How these coaches can manage to work 23 hours a day and still keep track of other teams well enough to rank them is an enduring mystery. Than again, all football coaches are geniuses so I guess it is possible.

Guess what, Wisconsin is still ranked in the coaches poll and they played terrible against UTEP.

My Reaction:

tumblr_lwjjvgVNct1qbcq69.png

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Is there any teams that could be the pot hole in Oregon's road to the championship? Are USC, Stanford and Oregon State worthy of upsetting the Ducks?

Trips to Tempe, LA, maybe Berkeley and Corvallis really standout. Especially that Civil War game.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

My money's on USC. Even with the trouble against Stanford, I think they'll pull it off in LA.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

My money's on USC. Even with the trouble against Stanford, I think they'll pull it off in LA.

The LA Colosseum is one of the most overrated Home field advantage in football (maybe second to The Big House). The stadium is so spread out, so its not loud at all, and the fans tend to be somewhat apathetic. USC wins their because they are USC, not because of the home crowd.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So they've capped the possible sites to host the first ever College Football Playoff Final at six.

University of Phoenix Stadium, Sunlife Stadium, Rose Bowl, Superdome. Plus the addition of the Georgia Dome and Cowboys Stadium. Indy, Detroit, St Louis, Orlando, Houston, San Diego, Jacksonville and Tampa all expressed interest as well.

Link

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Orlando needs to do some major renovations before they should even be considered- I'm surprised they don't already receive a ton of pressure to do just that for being allowed the Capital One Bowl.

That is probably the reason the Chick-Fil-A Bowl was favored over the Capital One location, as the Capital One is surely the "bigger" bowl of the two...being equal to Cotton Bowl.

Tampa would be nice and welcomed. Charlotte seems like another good location as well, wonder why they didn't try.

Orlando needs to do some major renovations before they should even be considered- I'm surprised they don't already receive a ton of pressure to do just that for being allowed the Capital One Bowl.

When Orlando city and Orange County residents approved a tourist tax in 2007 to build Amway Center for the Magic, they also approved a new performing arts center and Citrus Bowl improvements (new lower bowl and 8,000 club seats). As Amway Center was being built, the economy tanked and there were less tourism dollars for both city and county. The arena went on, but the other two projects were halted. This June, the city and county agreed to a new financing plan with a target date to be begin in 2014.

But, the county may not be able to even meet their part of the deal since a judge made a ruling on hotel taxes which favored online travel sites two weeks later.

Archived