NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

Ice_Cap's right, the Wings' red jersey has been pretty much the same ever since they became the Wings: http://www.nhluniforms.com/RedWings/RedWings.html

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No such luck. They're keeping the "BOLTS" jersey and merely modifying the shoulder patches.

http://mobile.rawcharge.com/2012/7/30/3205020/tampa-bay-lightning-2012-2013-third-jersey

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Welp, there they go. Ruined the last good jersey by taking away the better logo shoulder patch and placing the clip art on it.

I knew the old logo wouldn't last long, but it was so great to see it when we did last year.

I feel like the new patch is going to look awkward since the Bolts third has all the "icky we don't want a part of us" colors on it, and the patch is the bland blue and white.

I wish they'd just put black into the logo and of course into the unis.

God forbid they use another third that is black now that they have a chance to.

The Tampa Bay Maple Leafs everybody!

2ly2w09.jpg

No such luck. They're keeping the "BOLTS" jersey and merely modifying the shoulder patches.

http://mobile.rawcharge.com/2012/7/30/3205020/tampa-bay-lightning-2012-2013-third-jersey

So they're going to take an already terrible jersey (Bolts? Really!?) and make it worse. Awesome :rolleyes:

I hope the lightning never win a cup in their current set.

Welp, there they go. Ruined the last good jersey by taking away the better logo shoulder patch and placing the clip art on it.

I knew the old logo wouldn't last long, but it was so great to see it when we did last year.

I feel like the new patch is going to look awkward since the Bolts third has all the "icky we don't want a part of us" colors on it, and the patch is the bland blue and white.

I wish they'd just put black into the logo and of course into the unis.

God forbid they use another third that is black now that they have a chance to.

The Tampa Bay Maple Leafs everybody!

It never says that they're putting the new primary logo on the shoulder, just that there will be a more current shoulder patch. That could very well be a brand new logo. But two blue jerseys are still unnecessary. While the current primary uniforms are the best set they've had, the best single uniform in terms of design is the third. Get an actual logo on that and a matching white jersey and they'll be great.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The best part of the Lightning unveiling the current set last year was the tweak to include black trim and the indication that more substantive changes would happen the following season...

...am I allowed to feel that a promise has been broken here?

The best part of the Lightning unveiling the current set last year was the tweak to include black trim and the indication that more substantive changes would happen the following season...

Yes. If they don't add in more black trim to the home and aways, or at least add in the victory stripes, then I'm putting down the new set as a loss in my book. Either that, or they don't want to bother making the changes until next season, because there's not going to be a "this season".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't anticipate any more changes.

They won't be adding anymore black, I really wish the fan base was more passionate about the black being back in the scheme. But I also hoped they were more against the :censored: logo.

But I don't expect to see victory stripes anytime soon if ever. They had said they couldn't do anymore than what they did last year with the black outline, but that wsa just to appease the large majority of Tampa Bay area fans, this being Lightning fans, that a. Don't care that much. b. Are easily appeased. c. Stopped caring. and/or d. Believe the owners will do it everntually.

And WildWing, most people aren't buying the jerseys now. Most people who have them are the ones given to season ticket holders and includes a discount so they wear it.

2ly2w09.jpg

So they're going to take an already terrible jersey (Bolts? Really!?) and make it worse. Awesome :rolleyes:

Really? You hope Tampa never wins a Cup just because of their uniforms? Jeez this board is disconnected from reality at times.

mav23.gif

Really? You hope Tampa never wins a Cup just because of their uniforms? Jeez this board is disconnected from reality at times.

That's a pretty common sentiment actually. If a team wins a championship in a uniform you hate, you're forever going to be seeing highlights of that uniform. It's not that disconnected from reality.

PvO6ZWJ.png

http://mobile.rawcha...13-third-jersey

No. He said he doesn't want them to win a Cup in those uniforms, because then Yzerman and co would think they're some untouchable, classic hockey icon that must never be tweaked and because their Cup win would be forever associated with that pile of garbage (I still find it funny that he called it "iconic" at the unveiling. Imagine what he would do if they won something in them.).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No. He said he doesn't want them to win a Cup in those uniforms, because then Yzerman and co would think they're some untouchable, classic hockey icon that must never be tweaked and because their Cup win would be forever associated with that pile of garbage (I still find it funny that he called it "iconic" at the unveiling. Imagine what he would do if they won something in them.).

Case in point: 2009 Penguins, 1999 Stars and 2012 Kings Home (stupid black crest on black jersey).

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

The clowns already think these unis and logo are iconic.

We could see 10 straight losing seasons, or never win the Cup again, so long as the rocket scientists who loved this design are around, the :censored: design is staying.

If they won in this design, I would be more happy the team won the Cup again. At that point being a fan, I'd be looking past the uniforms. But when the dust settled and at some point I'd realize I'd have to see these unis forever instead of being trashed like they should be.

It annoys me enough I have to see the logo and jerseys every game, but to be more immortalized to where even when these guys are gone the unis and logo is stuck in history like that? I shudder.

2ly2w09.jpg

why does everyone think winning a cup in a uniform makes it untouchable?

the pens won back to back cups in athletic gold. the stars won the cup in green. the bolts won the cup in black. the avs got reeboked too. and that's all just recent history.

does anyone really think that if the canucks had won the cup in 1994, they'd still be dressed up like germany? or the sabres in black and red if they'd won in 1999? or better yet, the ducks in eggplant and jade if they'd beat the devils?

the pens won back to back cups in athletic gold. the stars won the cup in green. the bolts won the cup in black. the avs got reeboked too. and that's all just recent history.

does anyone really think that if the canucks had won the cup in 1994, they'd still be dressed up like germany? or the sabres in black and red if they'd won in 1999? or better yet, the ducks in eggplant and jade if they'd beat the devils?

I agree. I think the main reason why the Canucks changed their look is because their old look was not selling and not so much that management wanted to put their stamp on the team. I don't even think fans wanted change and if I recall not many people liked the new look when it came out. Any time money is not being made, then change is going to happen.

This is Steve Yzerman we're talking about. He called this look "iconic" when it was first unveiled. If they won a Cup in it, he'd think it would be some all-time classic look that should never be tweaked. As long as he's at the head of the ship, these are here to stay. A Cup would only give him more justification to stubbornly keep these.

Plus, a Cup would buy this set more time. You're not going to seriously overhaul your set right after it's attached to a Cup win. The Penguins overhauling to the Robo-Pen was an anomaly. The Pens still kept athletic gold for about 10 years, the Stars kept green for about the same time, the Lightning's identity was about the same for 8 years, and the Avs still have the same general look. While a championship doesn't mean the look will be there forever, it certainly helps to keep it around.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

These are prime examples of why winning a cup in a uniform should make them untouchable. All of the above teams butchered their identities not long after their respective triumphs.

Yes the Canucks would be wearing black, red and yellow today if they'd won the cup in 1994. Even if The awful Navy and Maroon Orca jerseys still happened in between. I couldn't imagine the Sabres going back to the cup-less Blue and Gold scheme had they triumphed in 1999 either.

Archived