2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

I wish I could find the quote (I'll admit I just looked for it, it was a decade and a half ago and from another life), but it was not grounded in reality. I don't think this Warriors quote is either. I can't imagine that in 10 years these t-shirts will be anything but a kitchy throwback for anyone but possibly the Warriors. Perhaps because they're first they'll stick with it.

Who ever thought we'd see the day when NFL jerseys don't have sleeves and NBA jerseys do?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To make things even worse, some players will still wear their own tank underneath the sleeved tee. E.g., Jarrett Jack here.

adidas_8.jpg

Now you're stuck with the faint outline of the tank base layer, the inner shoulder seam, *and* the outer shoulder seam. :therock:

I will say that it's fascinating that Adidas is being so transparent about a "uniform performance innovation" being driven by a desire to provide better fan merch, as opposed to actual improved on-court performance. As my wife said, it doesn't matter how non-restrictive the sleeve fabric is, it's still more restrictive than no sleeve fabric at all. This is purely driven by a desire to sell more Swingman jerseys, and it comes at the expense of player performance.

What is the justification for pinstripes on the pants but not on the jersey?

"Pinstripes arent really pinstripes... They're cables from the bridge..."-Rick Welts

I don't believe him. There's no way that bridge cables are 5.9% lighter than fabric pinstripes.

It wasn't the most outlandish thing I've heard about these, though:

Via 670thescore.com

"It was the right moment, the right team," said Lawrence Norman, Adidas' vice president of global basketball. "Even more important, the right city. When you launch something as innovative as this —that will change the way the players look on the court and the way the fans support the team forever — why not launch it in the most innovative part of the United States?"

Big talk. The last time I rolled my eyes this hard, the head of MTV was saying Robbie Williams (?) was their next big superstar.

Now for another dated and obscure reference: Jerry Leggett. Western Big Six. Quincy, then Moline. More Illinois high school basketball for you. Those jerseys looked better than these, though. Skin tight is rarely right.

Well now THAT is something I never thought I would see or hear again...

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

Mismatched yellows, pinstripes on the shorts but not the top, an ugly collar, and a jersey design that looks pretty half-assed. This jersey fails. The sleeves don't really bother me that much. I'm glad they're not contrasting. One good thing that's lost in this mess of a uniform is the side stripe which I think is pretty cool. Overall, the Warriors failed on this one, mainly because if they wanted a yellow jersey in the rotation a yellow version of the current set or a yellow throwback would have been far superior options.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

These are so awesomely bad, every 15-20 years we get a true gem of crappiness that goes down in uniform history and these are it. People are going to talk about these years down the road.

I don't know if I'd put these in the same category as the Gorton's jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

These are so awesomely bad, every 15-20 years we get a true gem of crappiness that goes down in uniform history and these are it. People are going to talk about these years down the road.

I don't know if I'd put these in the same category as the Gorton's jerseys.

I think it makes for a good practice jersey, but no way that should be a game jersey.

I do think the advertising thing may have something to do with it, which seems like its coming no matter how loud people complain about it.

The only thing good about the entire uniform is the front logo, word mark, and number combo. That's how the regular uniform should look...other than that...wow I will bet anyone here that all Adidas teams in the big dance will wear these with the tiger stripe shorts and neon colors.

Apparently these are the new alternate uniforms for the Golden State Warriors. They... have sleeves.

BC11R6mCIAEhfiJ.png

I don't mind the idea of a jersey w/ sleeves, but the adidas template being used still has seams and mesh patterns that follow the traditional tank top cut. So it makes the sleeve look like afterthoughts not fully integrated into the rest of the garment.

This. That and the fact that the sleeves are like those of a compression shirt, but the rest of the jersey fits like a conventional jersey make it look like a normal jersey grew tight sleeves for some reason. The sleeve part is really ruined for me by the clear outline of a normal jersey being visible. Looks very added on.

Was hoping they'd give us an on court reason for these. None provided. All the compartments and breathable material that went into the sleeve were for what, fan fashion? I just don't get why jerseys needed more material. It doesn't look good enough to justify itself.

Maybe the sleeves need pinstripes, too, to tie it all in.

I don't need to even comment on the mismatching color of the shorts and top. Make the shorts a totally different color to go with the mismatching pinstripes. Just a complete dumpster fire of a disaster.

You just KNOW Miami is going to be one of the teams.

Really don't think so. They're a very traditional franchise that still haven't bought into the new analysis technology spreading through the league. They'll have some new jersey next year, but I don't think they'll go this far out.

If we were to take bets on the next team (excluding All-Star, D-League, and X-mas instances) to introduce a short-sleeved alternate, my money would be on the Mavericks. Seems outlandish, but with Cuban at the helm and their history of wacky alternates, I think it's almost a lock. Next 3 most likely? Charlotte, Houston, Cleveland.

If we were to take bets on the next team (excluding All-Star, D-League, and X-mas instances) to introduce a short-sleeved alternate, my money would be on the Mavericks. Seems outlandish, but with Cuban at the helm and their history of wacky alternates, I think it's almost a lock. Next 3 most likely? Charlotte, Houston, Cleveland.

I'd say Miami. They're the kings of alternates.

90758391980.gif

To make things even worse, some players will still wear their own tank underneath the sleeved tee. E.g., Jarrett Jack here.

adidas_8.jpg

Now you're stuck with the faint outline of the tank base layer, the inner shoulder seam, *and* the outer shoulder seam. :therock:

Hate to break it to you, but that's the jersey. That undershirt-looking line is actually where the "360 stretchable fabric" begins.

It just seems like ... if you want to sell t-shirts that look like the jersey, then do so.

I'd be interested in a well-done t-shirt that mimicked the Nuggets alt, but this is what they come up with instead so of course no one's buying something that's so poorly done. Just do the concept well and surely they'd sell, whether players are wearing sleeves or not.

adidas_8.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but that's the jersey. That undershirt-looking line is actually where the "360 stretchable fabric" begins.

No. Look at #2's left shoulder. There is the shoulder seam where the sleeve starts, then there is the seam where the tanktop jersey normally starts, and inside that you can see the outline of a compression tanktop. There is a spot on the shoulder with the holed mesh, but it is normal material underneath, yet there is a distinct curve of a tanktop.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No. Look at #2's left shoulder. There is the shoulder seam where the sleeve starts, then there is the seam where the tanktop jersey normally starts, and inside that you can see the outline of a compression tanktop. There is a spot on the shoulder with the holed mesh, but it is normal material underneath, yet there is a distinct curve of a tanktop.

Oh, okay, I see what you're seeing. I thought you were looking at the seam farther to the left. That just seems silly, if the jersey is going to be compression, why wear a compression tank underneath?

I'd say Miami. They're the kings of alternates.

Ditto. The Cavs and Heat have both cashed in with what's 'hot' simply by having LeBron on their team. I'm pretty sure no one has worn more jerseys than him. Throwbacks, Cavfastic, Alternates, Monochrome ... next season ... sleeved jerseys. Whatever team LeBron is on is stupid NOT to cash in.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived