2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Adidas didn't have a problem with making unique collars before, what's different now?

Could be a different manufacturer, which is my point. If you want a faster, lighter, newer, whatever it is, sometimes only one place does it that way and you might have to play by their rules to get what you want.

A school can say to whatever company, "I want the collar to look like this on this uniform." The company might say, "Well, we only have these four styles of collar, so you're going to have to choose the closest option." You might say the company is being lazy, but in reality that might mean the factory that's producing the garments only has those four options, for example, and it doesn't make sense (busines-wise) for them to produce a bunch of custom collars for whatever company, no matter how big a deal they are or who their clients are.

It's the world we live in. Custom craftsmen are few and far between, and very expensive.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Could be a different manufacturer, which is my point. If you want a faster, lighter, newer, whatever it is, sometimes only one place does it that way and you might have to play by their rules to get what you want.

A school can say to whatever company, "I want the collar to look like this on this uniform." The company might say, "Well, we only have these four styles of collar, so you're going to have to choose the closest option." You might say the company is being lazy, but in reality that might mean the factory that's producing the garments only has those four options, for example, and it doesn't make sense (busines-wise) for them to produce a bunch of custom collars for whatever company, no matter how big a deal they are or who their clients are.

It's the world we live in. Custom craftsmen are few and far between, and very expensive.

Adidas in particular seems to push the template model at the pro level - perhaps more than other manufacturers. Look at their history with soccer unis, for example. Nike's apparently following suit with their work on the NFL, but they seem to be able to handle a wider variety of soccer uni templates than Adidas can (or is willing to).

That rule is for primary jerseys only. They've always been pretty loose on letting teams wear they alternates for color on color matchups. Expect to see the Nuggets, Cavs, and Warriors alts worn at home most, if not all, of the time.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's a recent development because I remember specific instances of teams wearing white on the road when Phoenix wore those terrible orange alts or even as far back as the yellow pinstriped Pacers set. I think color-on-color matchups are terrible and amateurish. It doesn't matter if there is enough contrast between the teams' colors, it doesn't look good. The Bulls look far better wearing their home jerseys against a team in black, even if black and red are distincively different. It's just more visually appealing to have one team in a white jersey.

Anyway, I think that only yellow and the Spurs' silver are light enough to be worn as a home jersey. Orange does not work in that case. Also, home teams should be forced to wear a white/yellow/gray jersey and road teams should never wear white. The "we just want our fans to see our road jersey so they buy it" is BS in thie day and age, when every game is televised and fans could see any jersey from a Google image search. It shouldn't anything like soccer with "clash kits" or anything dumb like that. You have a home jersey - wear it at home.

Aww man, clash uniforms are fun! I'd love it if American sports leagues did it a little bit.

Spurs' grey uniform template looked very good in action.

I agree. This is one of my favorite looks in the NBA right now, actually. Some would say that means I have bad taste, but if you heard my other favorites there would be no way to stand by that. I don't know why it appeals to me so much, but I love it. If another team had taken a stab at it, I might hate it. The colors, iconic logo that perfectly illustrates their team name, team history, awesome striping, and uniqueness all are factors. I understand why most hate it, but different shouldn't always equal bad.

I liked the Spurs alternates when they were unveiled, but they look terrible in action. Stick to what works San Antonio.

I hated them when they were unveiled, and I agree they look terrible in action.

1) The spur logo looks terrible and lopsided when removed from the wordmark. It doesn't work on a jersey front.

2) Their color is silver and not gray. They shouldn't have made this jersey unless they could do it in shiny material (as is still used on the black jersey's side panels)

3) The side panels and collars inexplicably are a different pattern than on the home and road jerseys, and not for the better.

Basically, there is nothing redeeming about these jerseys. They are terrible. And even worse, I get the feeling they are going to wear them something like 30 times a year. Even with the huge downgrade Adidas made to their home and road jerseys by going to a V-neck and removing the waist stripes, these are a gigantic downgrade from their normal set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Adidas in particular seems to push the template model at the pro level - perhaps more than other manufacturers. Look at their history with soccer unis, for example. Nike's apparently following suit with their work on the NFL, but they seem to be able to handle a wider variety of soccer uni templates than Adidas can (or is willing to).

I wouldn't disagree, necessarily, but the reason is different. Nike's 'template for everyone is basically a plain shirt, to which they add various trims, like sublimated patterns, fold-up sleeve cuffs, welded graphics, etc. They don't have any more templates than adidas does, but they're doing a lot with a little.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Will color vs color match ups last all year long?

I think its mostly an early season thing. Teams like to open the season wearing road unis at home, especially if they have a new set. We'll see it some more as the season goes on, but not as much as in home openers. Further, as someone conjectured, pretty sure these Spurs greys will have to be home alternates. They won't work on the road since they're so light.

I liked the Spurs alternates when they were unveiled, but they look terrible in action. Stick to what works San Antonio.

I hated them when they were unveiled, and I agree they look terrible in action.

1) The spur logo looks terrible and lopsided when removed from the wordmark. It doesn't work on a jersey front.

2) Their color is silver and not gray. They shouldn't have made this jersey unless they could do it in shiny material (as is still used on the black jersey's side panels)

3) The side panels and collars inexplicably are a different pattern than on the home and road jerseys, and not for the better.

Basically, there is nothing redeeming about these jerseys. They are terrible. And even worse, I get the feeling they are going to wear them something like 30 times a year. Even with the huge downgrade Adidas made to their home and road jerseys by going to a V-neck and removing the waist stripes, these are a gigantic downgrade from their normal set.

I was under the impression that the rev30 versions no longer had shiny silver. That's how its looked to me.

Spurs_Thunder_Basketb_Reyn___t607.jpg

Hard to tell without seeing them in person, but they're definitely nowhere near as shiny as previously.

And I normally love wastebands, but I like their unis better without them. They don't seem to work as well when paired with side panels.

I for sure thought the Thunder would be breaking out their alternate tonight for the home opener. Perhaps this Sunday, where this alt could be a Sunday home jersey? Just speculation. Does anybody have an idea on when the Thunder will be breaking out this bad boy? I've been looking forward to a third jersey for us for over 2 years now.

Archived