Logo Revolts

Popmart

Marquette sees your 'logo' revolt and raises you a 'renaming your team the Marquette Gold' revolt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all

At least a good logo came out of that whole debacle:

lk47sf36h6g3y141mktt.gif

But yeah, MU could've saved themselves a lot of future headaches if they'd have just reverted to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche upon dropping the Warriors tag.

That's canceled out by their 'Fighting Chickens' logo that was released at the same time :P

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

New Mexico State had a revolt when our original Pistol Pete was modernized in 2000's.

d_ap_1.jpg

This was our original Pistol Pete

image002.jpg

This was the modernized version made in 2005. The big complaint was he was missing his pistols and fans called him Lasso Larry instead.

QOVSCDWYBGDHLCC.20050815174335.jpg

After a few years of complaining, Pistol Pete got his guns back.

new-mexico-state-logo.png?w=224&h=197

I personally prefer the black hat and guns look.

Saddest part is, I'm not only shocked to see a logo with guns in this day and age, but totally flabbergasted that a gun-free logo was changed to include them after the public revolted against the *lack* of guns.

Virtually every non-sports video game and most action-thriller movie posters feature a gun, or guns. I just don't think most people are all that outraged by gun references. This year, the same revolt happened with the 'Colt 45s'. MLB initially said no to the gun on the front, but later reversed their decision. This story had a poll attached to it... 97% disagreed with the MLB.

colt45s.jpg

And it is important to note that the Colt 45's name change was not a result of fan outrage. It was a battle with the Colt 45 firearm company that lead to the name change (according to the always reliable internet).

We all know what happened to the Washington Bullets... But I'm not convinced the shift to the Wizards was a result of mass fan protest, and throwback unis remained popular after the name change.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Mexico State had a revolt when our original Pistol Pete was modernized in 2000's.

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

This was the modernized version made in 2005. The big complaint was he was missing his pistols and fans called him Lasso Larry instead.

Wow, so what's the story here. Why does Ok State's logo look so much like that old NM St logo? Who copied who?

2557.gif

Actually Pistol Pete was a real cowboy who avenged his father's murder. He wound up selling his likeness to the University of Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico state. So nobody is really ripping anyone else.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Wow, so what's the story here. Why does Ok State's logo look so much like that old NM St logo? Who copied who?

2557.gif

Actually Pistol Pete was a real cowboy who avenged his father's murder. He wound up selling his likeness to the University of Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico state. So nobody is really ripping anyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Eaton

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Saddest part is, I'm not only shocked to see a logo with guns in this day and age, but totally flabbergasted that a gun-free logo was changed to include them after the public revolted against the *lack* of guns.

I would not expect anything less. Sports Illustrated once said that NMSU has the most politically incorrect fight song with this line. "We will pop a keg of booze, wobble in our shoes, and drink to the Aggies win or loose."

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

I would not expect anything less. Sports Illustrated once said that NMSU has the most politically incorrect fight song with this line. "We will pop a keg of booze, wobble in our shoes, and drink to the Aggies win or loose."

Thus making it the most accurate and memorable college fight song of all time, far better than the ridiculous gilded-era penned fight songs which have all the vigor and sizzle of a dry cat turd. "Hail, hail, ra-ra team, move that ball, the field is there" etc.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Marquette sees your 'logo' revolt and raises you a 'renaming your team the Marquette Gold' revolt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all

At least a good logo came out of that whole debacle:

lk47sf36h6g3y141mktt.gif

But yeah, MU could've saved themselves a lot of future headaches if they'd have just reverted to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche upon dropping the Warriors tag.

That's canceled out by their 'Fighting Chickens' logo that was released at the same time :P

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Virtually every non-sports video game and most action-thriller movie posters feature a gun, or guns. I just don't think most people are all that outraged by gun references. This year, the same revolt happened with the 'Colt 45s'. MLB initially said no to the gun on the front, but later reversed their decision. This story had a poll attached to it... 97% disagreed with the MLB.

colt45s.jpg

And it is important to note that the Colt 45's name change was not a result of fan outrage. It was a battle with the Colt 45 firearm company that lead to the name change (according to the always reliable internet).

We all know what happened to the Washington Bullets... But I'm not convinced the shift to the Wizards was a result of mass fan protest, and throwback unis remained popular after the name change.

It's just not what you'd expect in today's social climate is all I'm trying to say. I think it's fine that traditions are king when it comes to guns in logos, but it's just a bit unexpected.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think of the New Hampshire Primaries. Too bad Fisher Cats fans didn't like it. These would of been killer.

*New Hampshire Primaries logo package BALEETED*

Was this a revolt? Or did the team have cold feet about this identity?

Cold feet IIRC

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6546ivez6sv8ofvu9wehppoqq.gif

Badass. That's all I can say.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In 1997 the Red Sox had two alternate hats to be worn with the home whites. A red hat with a blue brim and a white hat with a blue brim. While the red cap was worn a few times IIRC, the white cap was scrapped after one game.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

As a Cowboys fan, I'd say the "double star" nonsense. I don't know if fan outrage killed it, but I can't think of a single fan I know that liked it.

Good riddance.

Double star? Pictures?

These

emmitt94pf-1.jpg

The "Little Giants" jerseys.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Wish the outrage at the new Lightning logo did anything, but so many Tampa Bay area fans get complacent so easy, the minimal changes (adding black around the numbers and lightning bolts to the pants) appeased the people that were, like myself, very upset with the new look.

Combine that with the owner giving free jerseys to people with the new look, and the outrage died down even more unfortunately.

I really hope the current look of the Lightning goes the way of the Buffalsug and is banished. But I doubt it because the fan outcry died out much already since many don't care enough. Sucks.

2ly2w09.jpg

Blues+Proposed+3rd+Jersey.jpg

This is quite possibly the disgusting thing I've ever seen. It makes the Burger King jersey look like the Habs.

The best decision Mike Keenan made during his time with the Blues.

Most Ole Miss fans don't like these mascots.

ole_miss_rebel_black_bear-thumb-603x425-22159.png?w=405&h=222

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

As a Cowboys fan, I'd say the "double star" nonsense. I don't know if fan outrage killed it, but I can't think of a single fan I know that liked it.

Good riddance.

Double star? Pictures?

These

emmitt94pf-1.jpg

The "Little Giants" jerseys.

They even wore a blue version!

569894.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Blues+Proposed+3rd+Jersey.jpg

This is quite possibly the disgusting thing I've ever seen. It makes the Burger King jersey look like the Habs.

The best decision Mike Keenan made during his time with the Blues.

Most Ole Miss fans don't like these mascots.

ole_miss_rebel_black_bear-thumb-603x425-22159.png?w=405&h=222

Ole Miss should make Admiral Akbar their mascot.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived