Sign in to follow this  
Popmart

Logo Revolts

Marquette sees your 'logo' revolt and raises you a 'renaming your team the Marquette Gold' revolt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all

At least a good logo came out of that whole debacle:

lk47sf36h6g3y141mktt.gif

But yeah, MU could've saved themselves a lot of future headaches if they'd have just reverted to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche upon dropping the Warriors tag.

That's canceled out by their 'Fighting Chickens' logo that was released at the same time :P

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

New Mexico State had a revolt when our original Pistol Pete was modernized in 2000's.

d_ap_1.jpg

This was our original Pistol Pete

image002.jpg

This was the modernized version made in 2005. The big complaint was he was missing his pistols and fans called him Lasso Larry instead.

QOVSCDWYBGDHLCC.20050815174335.jpg

After a few years of complaining, Pistol Pete got his guns back.

new-mexico-state-logo.png?w=224&h=197

I personally prefer the black hat and guns look.

Saddest part is, I'm not only shocked to see a logo with guns in this day and age, but totally flabbergasted that a gun-free logo was changed to include them after the public revolted against the *lack* of guns.

Virtually every non-sports video game and most action-thriller movie posters feature a gun, or guns. I just don't think most people are all that outraged by gun references. This year, the same revolt happened with the 'Colt 45s'. MLB initially said no to the gun on the front, but later reversed their decision. This story had a poll attached to it... 97% disagreed with the MLB.

colt45s.jpg

And it is important to note that the Colt 45's name change was not a result of fan outrage. It was a battle with the Colt 45 firearm company that lead to the name change (according to the always reliable internet).

We all know what happened to the Washington Bullets... But I'm not convinced the shift to the Wizards was a result of mass fan protest, and throwback unis remained popular after the name change.

New Mexico State had a revolt when our original Pistol Pete was modernized in 2000's.

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

This was the modernized version made in 2005. The big complaint was he was missing his pistols and fans called him Lasso Larry instead.

Wow, so what's the story here. Why does Ok State's logo look so much like that old NM St logo? Who copied who?

2557.gif

Actually Pistol Pete was a real cowboy who avenged his father's murder. He wound up selling his likeness to the University of Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico state. So nobody is really ripping anyone else.

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Wow, so what's the story here. Why does Ok State's logo look so much like that old NM St logo? Who copied who?

2557.gif

Actually Pistol Pete was a real cowboy who avenged his father's murder. He wound up selling his likeness to the University of Wyoming, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico state. So nobody is really ripping anyone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Eaton

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Saddest part is, I'm not only shocked to see a logo with guns in this day and age, but totally flabbergasted that a gun-free logo was changed to include them after the public revolted against the *lack* of guns.

I would not expect anything less. Sports Illustrated once said that NMSU has the most politically incorrect fight song with this line. "We will pop a keg of booze, wobble in our shoes, and drink to the Aggies win or loose."

I think of the New Hampshire Primaries. Too bad Fisher Cats fans didn't like it. These would of been killer.

d1vg2yfmpmc2s6xv6kpwudi06.gif

6546ivez6sv8ofvu9wehppoqq.gif

I would not expect anything less. Sports Illustrated once said that NMSU has the most politically incorrect fight song with this line. "We will pop a keg of booze, wobble in our shoes, and drink to the Aggies win or loose."

Thus making it the most accurate and memorable college fight song of all time, far better than the ridiculous gilded-era penned fight songs which have all the vigor and sizzle of a dry cat turd. "Hail, hail, ra-ra team, move that ball, the field is there" etc.

I think of the New Hampshire Primaries. Too bad Fisher Cats fans didn't like it. These would of been killer.

Was this a revolt? Or did the team have cold feet about this identity?

Marquette sees your 'logo' revolt and raises you a 'renaming your team the Marquette Gold' revolt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18marquette.html?pagewanted=all

At least a good logo came out of that whole debacle:

lk47sf36h6g3y141mktt.gif

But yeah, MU could've saved themselves a lot of future headaches if they'd have just reverted to Hilltoppers or Golden Avalanche upon dropping the Warriors tag.

That's canceled out by their 'Fighting Chickens' logo that was released at the same time :P

gr_newgoldeneaglegraphic.jpg

d_ap_1.jpg

image002.jpg

Virtually every non-sports video game and most action-thriller movie posters feature a gun, or guns. I just don't think most people are all that outraged by gun references. This year, the same revolt happened with the 'Colt 45s'. MLB initially said no to the gun on the front, but later reversed their decision. This story had a poll attached to it... 97% disagreed with the MLB.

colt45s.jpg

And it is important to note that the Colt 45's name change was not a result of fan outrage. It was a battle with the Colt 45 firearm company that lead to the name change (according to the always reliable internet).

We all know what happened to the Washington Bullets... But I'm not convinced the shift to the Wizards was a result of mass fan protest, and throwback unis remained popular after the name change.

It's just not what you'd expect in today's social climate is all I'm trying to say. I think it's fine that traditions are king when it comes to guns in logos, but it's just a bit unexpected.

*New Hampshire Primaries logo package BALEETED*

Was this a revolt? Or did the team have cold feet about this identity?

Cold feet IIRC

Badass. That's all I can say.

wow... that's a shame these didn't get used then. Both of these are gorgeous

As a Cowboys fan, I'd say the "double star" nonsense. I don't know if fan outrage killed it, but I can't think of a single fan I know that liked it.

Good riddance.

In 1997 the Red Sox had two alternate hats to be worn with the home whites. A red hat with a blue brim and a white hat with a blue brim. While the red cap was worn a few times IIRC, the white cap was scrapped after one game.

As a Cowboys fan, I'd say the "double star" nonsense. I don't know if fan outrage killed it, but I can't think of a single fan I know that liked it.

Good riddance.

Double star? Pictures?

Good riddance.

Double star? Pictures?

These

emmitt94pf-1.jpg

The "Little Giants" jerseys.

Wish the outrage at the new Lightning logo did anything, but so many Tampa Bay area fans get complacent so easy, the minimal changes (adding black around the numbers and lightning bolts to the pants) appeased the people that were, like myself, very upset with the new look.

Combine that with the owner giving free jerseys to people with the new look, and the outrage died down even more unfortunately.

I really hope the current look of the Lightning goes the way of the Buffalsug and is banished. But I doubt it because the fan outcry died out much already since many don't care enough. Sucks.

Blues+Proposed+3rd+Jersey.jpg

This is quite possibly the disgusting thing I've ever seen. It makes the Burger King jersey look like the Habs.

The best decision Mike Keenan made during his time with the Blues.

Most Ole Miss fans don't like these mascots.

ole_miss_rebel_black_bear-thumb-603x425-22159.png?w=405&h=222

Good riddance.

Double star? Pictures?

These

emmitt94pf-1.jpg

The "Little Giants" jerseys.

They even wore a blue version!

569894.jpg

Blues+Proposed+3rd+Jersey.jpg

This is quite possibly the disgusting thing I've ever seen. It makes the Burger King jersey look like the Habs.

The best decision Mike Keenan made during his time with the Blues.

Most Ole Miss fans don't like these mascots.

ole_miss_rebel_black_bear-thumb-603x425-22159.png?w=405&h=222

Ole Miss should make Admiral Akbar their mascot.