Arby's gets a makeover

BroadSt_Bully

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, I worked at an Arby's for about 30 minutes. I watched a training video in "the back" (a short hall which served as an office, storage room, and smoking room) that was directly next to the food prep area. There were cigarette butts everywhere and the equipment was disgusting. I quit the next day and have never eaten at an Arby's since.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the urban legend about how Arby's meat is a gelatinous fluid that is cooked into a remarkably beef-like substance.

I can neither confirm nor deny this. And I worked the kitchen fairly often — scary.

What I can say is that the "beefs" come in a thick plastic bag that is vacuum-sealed into a form that works best on a slicer (wish I could find a picture). It is then cooked in a convection oven for like 2 hours, and placed in a holding oven until it's ready to use. The "beef" juice that comes out of the bags when in the holding oven... words cannot describe the smell.

Needless to say, I only get the Marketfresh stuff if I eat there — that's actually real food.

Arby's new slogan is "Slicing Up Freshness," emphasizing how they slice all of their roast beef and such in-store. Something tells me the apostrophe in the new logo is supposed to represent one of these:

tsm_the_sausage_maker_7_5_inch_electric_meat_slicer_64131_detail.gif

If that's the case, then bravo to that one detail.

I was talking to someone this morning and said the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's a meat slicer, which I find completely weird.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Arby's new slogan is "Slicing Up Freshness," emphasizing how they slice all of their roast beef and such in-store. Something tells me the apostrophe in the new logo is supposed to represent one of these:

tsm_the_sausage_maker_7_5_inch_electric_meat_slicer_64131_detail.gif

If that's the case, then bravo to that one detail.

I was talking to someone this morning and said the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's a meat slicer, which I find completely weird.

NRN ran their story today. Here is part of their story on the rebrand:

“This brand has had an identity crisis for the past few decades,” said Russ Klein, Arby’s chief marketing officer. “We’ve made the decision that we want to be a modern sandwich shop.”

On Sept. 30, the company introduced a “Slicing Up Freshness” advertising campaign, which highlights the chain’s freshly sliced sandwich meat. Other quick-service restaurants, like Subway, slice it before the meat reaches stores. Freshly sliced meats, Klein said, is and always has been a clear competitive differentiator for the Arby’s brand.

The chain’s “Good Mood Food” campaign, which launched in early 2011, was discontinued in spring 2012, he added.

The roasters and rebranding are the result of a Boston Consulting Group study completed during fall 2011, Klein said. The study, conducted specifically for Arby’s, showed that the chain’s customers were “modern traditionalists"' he said.

“They’re not defined by age, ethnicity or gender,” he said. “They’re bound together by their value systems and their beliefs. They tend to skew a little bit older, and they tend to skew a little bit male … knowing who our consumer was a critical component of developing new product ideas.”

Turkey Roasters were a direct attempt to appeal to more female consumers, he said. “Turkey had a number of positive attributes,” he said. “It’s a nice complement to roast beef. It also skews toward high-income households.”

Commodity costs, including the rising price of beef, didn’t play into Arby’s decision to introduce the hot turkey sandwiches. “We don’t really use the cost of good fluctuations to decide the types of products that will go on our calendar,” he said.

“The number one reason companies stall is that they fail to innovate,” Klein said. “We don’t want to be caught short-handed when it come to meeting our objectives.”

The company plans to introduce 12 new menu items during 2013, he said.

Huh?

ASIDE: Now to go back two decades, does anyone else remember when Blimpie tried to challenge Subway, but it was one name with two slightly different concepts split geographically? Freshly sliced meats were a part of stores on one side of the nation, but not on the other.

I don't know--it doesn't repulse me or amuse me or interest me--sort of a bland thing--but I'm not upset over it either.

I don't mind the lower case part--used well it can look cool.

The hat has always strcuk me a bit bland.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I understand going with a modern font to kinda match the branding they've been leaning towards in their commercials and packaging etc. but I think the lowercase a is what ruins it, besides the 3d/2d part.

They closed all the Arby's in like a 2 hr radius like 5-10 years ago :'(

It's so good and affordable! I have to make a stop every time I make a road trip. The world could be so cruel sometimes.

A quick trip to Illustrator:

arbys-a.png

Would that have been so hard, arby's?

Bingo, nailed it. Companies seem to overthink these projects, when the best solution is right under their nose.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Just found one of those "can't unsee this" features in the new logo. Check how the top part of the hat gets indented by the apostrophe in "Arby's." This whole thing seriously looks like they wanted to go modern, but didn't know how to do it.

arbys_logo_detail.png

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Archived