2012-13 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Okay now I know how far Michigan will be going in the tournament this year.

Wait wuh?

*checks score*

Oh, MgoBlog is going to be amazing tomorrow.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree, that's pretty much the reason it happens in NCAAF, and yeah it sucks.

But I also feel that a marquee win can catapult a team in the the National Championship picture. That's why I hate penalizing team's for their conference schedule for football. They can't control who they play every year in their conference, and they can't get those marquee games on the schedule because power conference opponents are scared. Yet teams in the SEC are palying the Sun Belt conference in week 14 (in their controllable out of conference schedule).

If you think you are great team, play a great team out of conference. It's a high risk - high reward game. You can lose and be out of the NCG picture, or you can win, further your championship status, and perhaps eliminate another NCG contender.

Many coaches, athletics directors, and school Presidents believe.....and rightfully so....that playing in the national championship game depends more on luck than anything else. These same folks will also tell you that winning their conference is more important, as it's something they can control.

Something else they can control is how to make money they don't share with their fellow conference mates. Buying a home game and generating revenue the entire weekend means more than putting yourself in national championship contention. Many towns where these big-time schools reside require that you pay for two nights' worth of hotel rooms/camping spots/etc. for Saturday games. The towns make a ton of money, and the schools make even more with tickets and all the in-stadium and on-campus purchases made. Paying some small team $500K-$1M pales when you're easily surpassing that number in money made, and your town benefits hugely as well.

Michigan just showed the greatest display of ineptitude I've ever seen. I knew they were overrated, but come on, they lost to us! Penn State is ranked #200 in the RPI, 30th in scoring, 336th in rebounds, and 333rd in FG percentage. That's how bad this team was this season.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Well that's why I said sweet 16 team. I'm not sure if I'm buying into this team as a National Title contender.

Its likely they won't have a single player go in this year's NBA draft. What are they going to do when they play a team like Michigan who will probably have three players going in the first round? You can have all the intangibles in the world, but end of the day you still need talent and I'm not if Miami has enough of that to be taken as a serious threat to win it all.

Win because Michigan's too young and falls asleep at the wheel too often?

Like I was saying....

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Well that's why I said sweet 16 team. I'm not sure if I'm buying into this team as a National Title contender.

Its likely they won't have a single player go in this year's NBA draft. What are they going to do when they play a team like Michigan who will probably have three players going in the first round? You can have all the intangibles in the world, but end of the day you still need talent and I'm not if Miami has enough of that to be taken as a serious threat to win it all.

Win because Michigan's too young and falls asleep at the wheel too often?

Like I was saying....

That's fine. Its one game, I was using Michigan as an example and the post was more about Miami then Michigan.

But I know you and it just further proves my point that your 100% critical of my posts and I think it would kill you to say that I actually say I made a good point. So I always consider the source whenever you have something to like that to say and this is probably the last time your going to get a response me on anything from here on out.

Arizona sucks

The Pac-12 is just really mediocre this year. We'll get about 5-6 teams in, but I don't think any of them will make it past the Sweet 16. In fact, the only team that has a chance to go that far is Arizona. The next best bet is the Ducks, and they're almost certainly out in the 3rd round if not DEFINITELY out in the Sweet 16.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Arizona sucks

The Pac-12 is just really mediocre this year. We'll get about 5-6 teams in, but I don't think any of them will make it past the Sweet 16. In fact, the only team that has a chance to go that far is Arizona. The next best bet is the Ducks, and they're almost certainly out in the 3rd round if not DEFINITELY out in the Sweet 16.

Honestly, its frustrating, Arizona is regressing it seems like. Last night they surrendered 89 to USC, a team who isn't good at all and the first time they played them gave up 50 and that number was arguably inflated. I can't believe this team beat Florida and killed Miami. In conference, AZ only has wins against 2 teams that have tourney hopes.(Colorado and that was lucky and ASU).

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Arizona sucks

Honestly, its frustrating, Arizona is regressing it seems like. Last night they surrendered 89 to USC, a team who isn't good at all and the first time they played them gave up 50 and that number was arguably inflated. I can't believe this team beat Florida and killed Miami. In conference, AZ only has wins against 2 teams that have tourney hopes.(Colorado and that was lucky and ASU).

Pardon me while I throw objectivity out the window, but Arizona did not beat Florida; Florida beat Florida that night. Turnovers and missed free throws are the only conceivable way to lose a game where you're up by six points with under a minute to play.

But that is nothing new with the Gators, who pissed away going to the Final Four (and perhaps a championship in 2011) the past two years because they are fricken' terrible at closing out games. I'm already prepared to bitch about this again once it happens in this year's Tourney.

spacer.png

Virginia takes down #3 Duke. So means only Miami is in Gonzaga's way of being #1.

So does that lock up a tourney bid for UVA? You know something's wrong when a team with 3 losses to CAA teams is making the tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

NCAA visit's Saint Mary's, sets phasers to smite.

4 year probation, head coach has 5 game suspension next season, no off campus recruiting next offseason for same, they lose 2 scholarships/year for 2 seasons, no skill instruction for the next two seasons, no trips abroad until 2018, and no preseason tournaments until 2016.

Today, we are all otaku.

NCAA visit's Saint Mary's, sets phasers to smite.

4 year probation, head coach has 5 game suspension next season, no off campus recruiting next offseason for same, they lose 2 scholarships/year for 2 seasons, no skill instruction for the next two seasons, no trips abroad until 2018, and no preseason tournaments until 2016.

And goodbye to the chance of anybody winning the WCC for the next 5 years besides Gonzaga.

Well, there's always BYU... Yeah, anyone but Gonzaga please. I hate how the little red headed stepchild (when compared to Washington and Waz-Spew over the years) has become the darling.

Final score: Manhattan 34, Fairfield 31.

There is a point where the slow down game has gone too far, and I think we have clearly crossed that point.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Final score: Manhattan 34, Fairfield 31.

There is a point where the slow down game has gone too far, and I think we have clearly crossed that point.

Maybe it was a good thing I turned off ESPNU once Harvard-Princeton and their usual HAMfest was over.

As for Syracuse...

HEADESKHEADESKsquidwardheadboat.gif

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived