2012-13 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Perhaps now would be a good time for my proposal of shortening the shot clock? (if not 24 seconds, then at HIGHEST 30?)

It might have some effect. Most shots are taken with about 9 to 10 seconds remaining, so teams would have to adjust their offenses. Teams would also have to be more aggressive in making it a full court game.

The one downside I could see is it may deter point guard development. The toughest thing for point guards is how to a play in a half cout offense. As it is now point guards are already subjected to a crash course with learning how to play at the NBA level. If they aren't allowed to learn how to play half court and the college level I think it will just put them further behind in development.

So you may get more points but it will probably also be an uglier game to watch in terms of how many turnovers and forced shots you'll see.

I don't know if I would object going to 30 seconds too much, but I think going to 24 would be a bad idea.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the country. Watching Wisconsin isn't pretty but he always wins. I thought this would finally be the year he finished outside the top four in the B1G, but he somehow has them right up there again. Probably won't ever be a national championship contender because he doesn't recruit the top players, but he gets the guys that fit his system and gets everything possible out of them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Bo Ryan is one of the best coaches in the country. Watching Wisconsin isn't pretty but he always wins. I thought this would finally be the year he finished outside the top four in the B1G, but he somehow has them right up there again. Probably won't ever be a national championship contender because he doesn't recruit the top players, but he gets the guys that fit his system and gets everything possible out of them.

It wouldn't say never with Bo Ryan when it comes to potentially winning a National title.

They've made the tourney every year he's been there and they've been ousted once in the first round.

The biggest problem I see with Wisconsin is they just get don't the horses in recruiting to be serious National Title contenders. He makes the absolute most out of what he has to work with, but how many solid NBA players has Wisconsin produced?

I could see that potentially changing though. Its only been the last 20 years or so people have started to take notice of Wisconsin basketball. Before that they were a doormat. That stigma I think can take awhile to get over. There's been plenty of great coaches at the college level that took a long time to win a National title.

As long as your a good enough to get your team to the big dance every year and play fairly well in addition to that, eventually your going to hit pay dirt with one of those teams.

Devin Harris is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. They have a lot of really good college/system players that just aren't made for the NBA: Jordan Taylor, Brian Butch and Alando Tucker are the ones that come to mind.

Well that's the thing. Good college players, but ultimately you need horses if your serious about winning a National title.

Most teams that win a National title have at least one or two future NBA starters on the roster if not All-Stars.

Wisconsin really hasn't gotten any players like that, yet. But I could see that changing over the next few years if they able to maintain this level of success. Like I said if your in it every year eventually your going to have a team that breaks through.

It wouldn't say never with Bo Ryan when it comes to potentially winning a National title.

They've made the tourney every year he's been there and they've been ousted once in the first round.

The biggest problem I see with Wisconsin is they just get don't the horses in recruiting to be serious National Title contenders. He makes the absolute most out of what he has to work with, but how many solid NBA players has Wisconsin produced?

I could see that potentially changing though. Its only been the last 20 years or so people have started to take notice of Wisconsin basketball. Before that they were a doormat. That stigma I think can take awhile to get over. There's been plenty of great coaches at the college level that took a long time to win a National title.

As long as your a good enough to get your team to the big dance every year and play fairly well in addition to that, eventually your going to hit pay dirt with one of those teams.

Devin Harris is all I can think of and he kind of flamed out already. He just doesn't have a very attractive offensive system and a lot of the top players want to go to a program that's a stepping stone to the NBA in one or two years, not playing in a boring, low scoring offense. Ryan's been there for 9 years now I think and he's finished in the top four in the conference every single year. I just don't see them becoming players in top recruits anytime soon. The thing that sets Ryan apart from a lot of coaches is that he gets hard workers that fit his system and stay around for four years. I was thrilled when Illinois won a recruiting battle against Wisconsin a few months ago for a 6'10" forward that could shoot, prototypical Bo Ryan player. It was almost better that Bo Ryan didn't get him than the fact that we did because those are the kind of guys that Wisconsin's been winning with for a decade.

I'm not completely discounting Wisconsin from ever winning a title under Ryan, but in order to do that he'll probably have to land an All-American or two and that's just something that he hasn't shown he can do yet.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Conversely, the Badgers have been bounced by lower seeded teams more often than not. Bo Ryan ball does not translate well to the NCAA tournament, where they actually, you know, call fouls. I'm pretty sure Bucky will never win it all so long as Ryan is there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Conversely, the Badgers have been bounced by lower seeded teams more often than not. Bo Ryan ball does not translate well to the NCAA tournament, where they actually, you know, call fouls. I'm pretty sure Bucky will never win it all so long as Ryan is there.

True, but Wisconsin was never going to win it all anyway.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Miami is ranked number 2. You have no idea how happy I am. Sure we had our worst game of the season last night, but a win is a win. Hopefully the boys bounce back on Tuesday and continue their pillage of the ACC.

I think it's unbelievable that this is the same team that got beat by Florida Gulf Coast earlier this season. It amazes me how much they have turned around since.

mcbqza.jpg

My question with Florida is how much talent does this team really have.

Are they a big fish in a small pond or is this team actually for real. I seriously wonder if Florida would have the record they have right playing in the Horizon League, even minus Butler this year. I don't know. Outside of Florida there's no SEC team that would intimidate me even as a mid-major, especially now that Kentucky is without Noel.

The one thing I do think Florida has going for them in addition to their record is Billy Donovan. I think when you get into the tourney that's when you start to see guys like him, Tom Izzo, Mike Krzyzewski, John Calipari really start to shine. They almost always are able to get their teams a round or two deeper then talent should dictate they should go. I think after talent level how good your coach is the biggest determining factor in how deep you go and there's not many ones better then Billy Donovan.

Same thing with Miami who may have the best head coach in college basketball you've never heard of in Jim Larranaga. You may know him better as the coach that took a George Mason program that was going through the motions of being a Division 1 team in a small conference before he got there to a Final Four appearance in addition to multiple tournament births. Now he has infinitely more resources to work with down in Coral Gabrles and in his second year I think your starting to see the results of that.

I don't know if either one is good enough to win a National Title, but I think both of them will make deep runs in the tourney this year. I would pencil both of them in for at least the Sweet 16.

Same thing with Miami who may have the best head coach in college basketball you've never heard of in Jim Larranaga. You may know him better as the coach that took a George Mason program that was going through the motions of being a Division 1 team in a small conference before he got there to a Final Four appearance in addition to multiple tournament births. Now he has infinitely more resources to work with down in Coral Gabrles and in his second year I think your starting to see the results of that.

I don't know if either one is good enough to win a National Title, but I think both of them will make deep runs in the tourney this year. I would pencil both of them in for at least the Sweet 16.

Winning two games in less than 48 hours is tough for most teams in the pressure situation of the NCAA Tournament.

Miami is playing better since Miami is OLD! They have older, stronger dudes!

Outside of Larkin, most guys who get minutes are 21 or older. We are told that Kadji is "24". Johnson is 23, Gamble is 22, Adams is 22. Scott is 23. They are men playing against boys and they are learning how to win close games with Larkin at point in home and away situations.

This assumes that, despite :censored: ing up the investigation something fierce, the NCAA still won't try to take an axe to the basketball team. Apparently the phrase "lack of institutional control" was used in the notice of allegations, so they just still might.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Tired of having ESPN writing front page stories about things I say here the day before.

http://espn.go.com/m...lege-basketball

Talking about how he got criticized for only winning with Bill Self's players, Bruce Weber said, "If you said that, then you could also say, 'Bill went to Kansas and won with Roy's players.'"

Sure thing, Bruce. Because Bill Self hasn't done anything at Kansas with the players he recruited...

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Kiss that 1 seed goodbye.

Today, we are all otaku.

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Well :censored:. Great, another year of Bizzledick running the program into ground. Yeah, I'm happy for the players, but this has just been enough.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived