2012-13 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Well that's why I said sweet 16 team. I'm not sure if I'm buying into this team as a National Title contender.

Its likely they won't have a single player go in this year's NBA draft. What are they going to do when they play a team like Michigan who will probably have three players going in the first round? You can have all the intangibles in the world, but end of the day you still need talent and I'm not if Miami has enough of that to be taken as a serious threat to win it all.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Miami's perfect record against the ACC comes to an end at the hands of Wake Forest. 80-65 Deacons!

Well that's why I said sweet 16 team. I'm not sure if I'm buying into this team as a National Title contender.

Its likely they won't have a single player go in this year's NBA draft. What are they going to do when they play a team like Michigan who will probably have three players going in the first round? You can have all the intangibles in the world, but end of the day you still need talent and I'm not if Miami has enough of that to be taken as a serious threat to win it all.

Win because Michigan's too young and falls asleep at the wheel too often?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Miami will win one or two games at the very most in the tournament this year, lock it up right now. I've watched most of their games and aside from the whopping that they gave Duke and UNC at home, they really haven't impressed me. They've sneaked by a bunch of low-quality ACC teams recently, and they won't be that fortunate in the tournament. In my opinion this could be the first year since 2006 that the ACC doesn't get any teams into the Elite 8.

You know, I kinda feel sad that this is the end of BracketBusters. It was a fun little event, but it seems like that the ravages of expansion has taken it's toll on it.

In my mind, I wish there would be something to replace it. In a way, my idea would be challenge series (like the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, but with mid-major leagues) set up by different conferences.

For example, there would be a series between the MVC and the WCC. Here's the matchups you would get for this event (using the current standings right now AND adding Pacific because they join the WCC next season):

-Gonzaga vs. Wichita State

-St. Mary's vs. Creighton

-BYU vs. Northern Iowa

-Santa Clara vs. Indiana State

-San Diego vs. Evansville

-San Francisco vs. Illinois State

-Pepperdine vs. Bradley

-Portland vs. Drake

-Loyola Marymount vs. Missouri State

-Pacific vs. Southern Illinois

You can't tell me that some of those matchups aren't TV worthy. Another example would be a series between the MAC and the OVC. You could have fun with this one since they both do divisions. For example, MAC East could face OVC East, creating a matchup between Ohio and Murray State. That would be a good game.

The MVC tried the challenge series format with the Mountain West. However, I think they have been unhappy with it, Mind you, they are likely less unhappy with it than they have been with the BracketBusters series, which is why this thing is dying now. But either way I'm not sure the Valley is up for challenge series anymore.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Indiana goes down against Minnesota! There's a good chance Gonzaga will be #1 for the first time ever and the first for a mid-major since St. Joe's in 2003 or 2004.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=330570135

Them being #1 in a week is only important since they have never been #1 before. As for the tournament, look below.

Cocktease Florida strikes again.

And, to think, Joey Brackets STILL had this team as a #1 seed entering this week? They're much closer to a #4 seed than a #1 seed, even in this year's weak as hell field.

It does not really matter if Florida or Gonzaga are #1 or #4 seeds since as the NCAA and teams use geography and fuel prices to determine where they "pod" teams. This system actually penalizes areas without an elite team since before pods, your round of 64 venue was guaranteed a site with either a 1 or 2 seed. Now, that does not matter.

This year's sites do not assist either team very much.

Florida: 2/3 Round venues are closest happen to be Lexington, Dayton, and Austin. The first two are straight up I-75. Even if they were a #1 seed, they would most likely be slotted to the Arlington, TX regional since they will try to give the Big East or ACC the slot in DC at the Verizon Center.

Gonzaga: 2/3 Round venues are Salt Lake City or San Jose. The school will determine which regional the most of their fans can get to. The Zags have three jets to fly to tournament venues, so they do not have to worry about the plans most teams have to for the tournament. They will be booked into Staples Center for the Sweet 16 from the west anyway.

As a fan of a mid-major school it's great to see Gonzaga potentially move up to #1. But they do have two games before the rankings come out next week. Some have speculated this could be the year a mid-major wins it all. I find it hard to believe, but I'd just be happy to see one make the Final Four again. Either Gonzaga, Butler, or even St. Louis would be my pick.

Gonzaga's not really a mid-major anymore guys.

Today, we are all otaku.

They aren't. They continually recruit well, and are about to put together their best chance at a Final Four birth since Adam Morrison was balling it up. They only keep that "mid-major" label because they're a small school in a small conference.

Butler isn't even one. VCU is probably at the head of the mid major pack.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

They aren't. They continually recruit well, and are about to put together their best chance at a Final Four birth since Adam Morrison was balling it up. They only keep that "mid-major" label because they're a small school in a small conference.

Butler did not get to two consecutive title games because they are great...they got to two consecutive title games due to randomness. Buter is a team with less talent yet got to win four games in March. Gonzaga has been given poorer seeds, but im 2011 BYU went to a zone which Gonzaga failed beat.

Well both now are in the A10 which I'm not really sure I would consider a mid-major.

To me a mid-major is any conference that can consistently get more then one team in the big dance, but is lucky if they get as many as three in. Three teams in for the A10 is usually a given. You got Saint Joe's, Temple and Xavier. Two of those three are getting in virtually every year right there and just about every team in that conference has made at least the NIT in the last decade, so finding at least two more teams besides that group to get in the tourney is usually not a tall task.

Gonzaga I think is borderline for being a mid major myself. Powerhouse college basketball program, but I'd say still a mid-major team because of their conference. You got them and Saint Mary's right now, but once you get past that it gets a little trickier. Adding BYU will help, but who else? Pepperdine? San Diego? Santa Clara? I think at least one more school needs to breakthrough in order for the WCC to shed that mid-major label.

But this is one of the reasons why I like college basketball and not college football. Your conference doesn't necessarily dictate how successful your program is. You can be a Gonzaga, a Butler, a Saint Mary's and have just as much success as any school in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten year in and year out.

Gonzaga isn't that good this year. It helps to play a really weak schedule. I'd be really surprised to see them make the Final Four or even Elite Eight. I don't think Florida's that good this year either. I think this year's top teams are relatively weak compared to most years.

That was a big win for Minnesota last night. They've been struggling recently, so that was huge to lock up their NCAA berth without a doubt.

And Joe Lunardi's seedings this year have been awful. I don't know if he's using ESPN's BPI at all or not, but that has to be one of the worst ranking systems out there.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

But this is one of the reasons why I like college basketball and not college football. Your conference doesn't necessarily dictate how successful your program is. You can be a Gonzaga, a Butler, a Saint Mary's and have just as much success as any school in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten year in and year out.

Plus mid-majors get plenty of chances to boost their resume throughout the year with stuff like BracketBusters and the fact that major programs aren't deathly afraid to play top mid-majors out of conference.

Compare that to football, where a program like Boise State or (formerly) Utah or TCU is now "too good" for top BCS schools to schedule in lieu of buying a win from an FCS school, and they're penalized for their conference and resume not being "tough enough" despite this being largely out of their control.

I love college football, but it's probably the most :censored:ed-up of all the college sports.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Totally agree, that's pretty much the reason it happens in NCAAF, and yeah it sucks.

But I also feel that a marquee win can catapult a team in the the National Championship picture. That's why I hate penalizing team's for their conference schedule for football. They can't control who they play every year in their conference, and they can't get those marquee games on the schedule because power conference opponents are scared. Yet teams in the SEC are palying the Sun Belt conference in week 14 (in their controllable out of conference schedule).

If you think you are great team, play a great team out of conference. It's a high risk - high reward game. You can lose and be out of the NCG picture, or you can win, further your championship status, and perhaps eliminate another NCG contender.

Archived