2012-13 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

The Illini lose to goddamn Purdue, then beat the 8th ranked team in the country? Oi. Make up your mind, Illinois.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always count on Illinois to win one they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't in Big Ten play. They've played two so far and already have those both out of the way. If Illinois plays like this they can easily find themselves in the Elite Eight or better. Problem is they come out too many times like they did against Illinois and get bullied out of their game. The good thing about it is there aren't many teams in the NCAA Tournament that subscribe to the "let's foul on every play because they won't call all of them" theory. It's probably good that I didn't post after the Purdue game because that was one of the most frustrating college games I've watched. And I somehow made it through the entire game where we put up 33 points and only lost by 5 a few years back.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Ducks are looking like a legit team, as long as these 2 frosh (Artis/Dotson) keeping playing with this composure and points/game, they could be a threat in the Pac-12

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Ducks dealt Arizona their first loss of the year Thursday.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Minnesota just took care of the other surprise Big Ten team on their home court. I'm impressed, particularly because this was a solid road win against a good Illinois team. However, they'll have to get past #5 Indiana and #2 Michigan before I get my hopes too high. The schedule gets significantly easier after the Michigan game, so it will be huge for the Gophers if they can pick up a win or two in this short stretch.

And Arizona goes down. I have a feeling this'll be a good year in Eugene. B)

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

And Arizona goes down. I have a feeling this'll be a good year in Eugene. B)

What does that mean?

Too good for the CIT or CBI and just the NIT?

What?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Minnesota just took care of the other surprise Big Ten team on their home court. I'm impressed, particularly because this was a solid road win against a good Illinois team. However, they'll have to get past #5 Indiana and #2 Michigan before I get my hopes too high. The schedule gets significantly easier after the Michigan game, so it will be huge for the Gophers if they can pick up a win or two in this short stretch.

The Big Ten is absolutely brutal this year. It's like looking at an SEC football schedule. I was at the game last night and was obviously disappointed with how Illinois played. They couldn't hit a shot from three (they were below 20% on the night) which is what cost them. And we couldn't get the calls at home that you usually see in Big Ten games. This is the best Minnesota team I've seen in a while though. You guys are real strong down low and have guards that are good enough to make plays when you need them. Definitely a team to look out for in March if your guards can knock down shots like they did last night.

Illinois has three very winnable games coming up that they frankly need to win to stay where they want to be when tournament time comes up. Wisconsin is as bad as they've ever been under Ryan, but winning on the road in conference is tough and never a guarantee. And Wisconsin is such an annoying team to play against. I hate teams that slow it down so much that the first 20 seconds of the possession are meaningless each time down. At least they don't play the Purdue "foul them on every possession because the refs won't call every one" style. I just hope we can start hitting our shots consistently. There's got to be a middle ground between where we were shooting the lights out in Maui and Spokane and where they've been struggling the past four or so games.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Duke falls! Now if Michigan beats Ohio they take over #1!

If Michigan falls, Louisville will be #1 for the first time since the 08-09 March Madness.

*plays Michigan fight song*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So, would it be fair to say that the Mountain West is one of the best basketball conferences in the nation this year?

So, would it be fair to say that the Mountain West is one of the best basketball conferences in the nation this year?

I'd think so. They have three teams in the Top 25 (San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico) and a Wyoming team that just lost it's first game to Boise.

It wouldn't shock me if the Mountain West had at least three go to the Big Dance and those three are the teams in the Top 25. Wyoming is on the cusp IMHO, but they haven't played anyone during that 13-0 start. That scares me a little.

Yes, it definitely would.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'd think so. They have three teams in the Top 25 (San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico) and a Wyoming team that just lost it's first game to Boise.

It wouldn't shock me if the Mountain West had at least three go to the Big Dance and those three are the teams in the Top 25. Wyoming is on the cusp IMHO, but they haven't played anyone during that 13-0 start. That scares me a little.

As of this poststamp, the MWC has the 3rd Best RPI.

Remember, as we get into conference play, some highly ranked teams are finally playing true road games, not just neutral court games.

UNLV will be out of the Top 25 Monday most likely since they just lost to New Mexico, but the Mountain West is definitely good this year. I'd probably be most scared of UNLV out of anyone in that conference. If I were to rank the conferences now I'd probably put the Mountain West in the 4-6 range.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And Boise is quietly having a good year themselves. They're 13-2, beat Creighton and Wyoming, and almost knocked off Michigan State in East Lansing. They have a big test coming up against New Mexico in a few days, should be a good one. The Mountain West is staaaacked.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived