Player's name goes agianst the team name...

Stampman

So I was thinking this agian the other day watchng the CFL.

So how about a list of player's whose last name doesn't match the team name--either because it's opposite or contradictory to the team name--or their last name references another team in their league?

I have two examples to start off that follow the second criteria.

Fred Stamps of the Edmonton Eskimos.

It can get confusing when the announcers speak of Stamps--do they mean him or the team based in Calgary--Edmonton's provincial rivals?

A guy with a name like Stamps should be on the Stamps, not the Eskimos (And he is a good player)

Shannon Boatman of the WInnipeg Blue Bombers.

The Toronto Argonauts are sometimes referred to as the Boatmen--which makes sense given their history & name (The team was started by a team of rowers, and thus a name like the Argonauts and it's boatmen connotations.)

Fel free to add others--I'm sure they are out there.

(Although players with colours as their name on teams with a colour in their name may be a bit too easy--so let's see how many other we can name besides those ones...)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick Kane is a member of the Blackhawks, despite Black Hawk's tribespeople (the Sauk) primarily relying on buffalo, corn and squash to fill out their diet rather than sugar cane. Also the blackhawks weren't even named after the tribe or the chief, so my first post was exponentially stupid.

Jay Cutler is a member of the Chicago Bears, whose ursine namesake has nothing to do with the creation or selling of forks and spoons.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He doesn't play there anymore, but remember former Cleveland Browns RB William Green?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Matt Derbyshire, formerly of Nottingham Forest. Derbyshire is near Nottingham, and a rivalry exists between the two places. It seems that the club noticed this, going as far as to allocate him the number eight shirt for the 2011/12 season.

It's because "eight" kinda sounds like "hate" if you say it fast enough.

How about the opposite: for a while Sheffield United (nicknamed the Blades) had a player called Billy Sharp! By the same token, the Ireland international footballer called Stephen, erm, Ireland.

The best one of this bunch by far though, is Xavi AndorrΓ , who plays his club football with FC Andorra and his international football with - yes you guessed it - Andorra!

All I can think of at the moment...

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

He doesn't play there anymore, but remember former Cleveland Browns RB William Green?

I had Green and Jamel White in my post, before I removed them because the original post wanted guys other than those who play for teams that are names of colors; these guys still fit, though.

I know this is not quite the same, but former Punter Jeff Feagles played for the Eagles (and against as a division rival).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Martin St. Louis on Tampa Bay

This one gives me fits when seeing Lightning "St. Louis" jerseys and also seeing his name in the score line. I always think it's about the Blues.

Anyways, here are some NBA players that could qualify:

Travis Outlaw on the Sacramento Kings

Jordan Hill on the LA Lakers

More of a "goes with the team name," but Julyan Stone of the Denver Nuggets and Channing Frye of the Phoenix Suns.

For MLB, the Mariners have Mike Carp and the A's have Sean Doolittle.

Archived