Digby

Montreal's third back..

I don't know why they took this route. White numbers would show on black and blue verticale lines all the way to the top.

Some competitions require numbers to be on a solid colour no matter how good the contrast otherwise. Anyone know if MLS uses that?

It's certainly been the case for a while. Both Chivas' stripes and Dallas' hoops get broken up for the number area on the back. In a more subtle instance, the Timbers' jersey dropped the two-tone split and went with the darker shade for the number area on their 2011-12 kits. I even have an old Nike MetroStars jersey that interrupts the stripes on the back with a solid black circle for the number.

Exactly, I think it's pretty safe to say this is basically the standard now.

Yes, I should have noticed. Thanks for the comment, its clearly the standard.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Whitecaps kit a lot actually.

In fact, I really like the majority of the kits released this week. The only one I really don't like is Colorado's secondary. I get the idea behind it, but it doesn't do anything for me. The Dynamo's new set is pretty bland to me as well.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I'm sure they will. I wonder if the third will be used at all this year. The away is basically the same as the third now, just with an Ajax-style stripe on the chest.

What?

How is this basically the same as the new away?

I just mean looking at it as a full kit -- both of them are all-white kits. The away has red trim and a red stripe down the middle, but it's still mostly white. Not that I can think of any MLS team that clashes with both dark green and white, so I doubt it really matters. Just an observation.

How is it that Portland gets away with having only one color of shorts?

They do have an alternate dark green pair of shorts to wear with the home kit. That said, seems like MLS doesn't really care if two teams wear the same color shorts.

Because they'll be available for purchase at the unveiling?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm sure they will. I wonder if the third will be used at all this year. The away is basically the same as the third now, just with an Ajax-style stripe on the chest.

What?

How is this basically the same as the new away?

Timbers3rdkit-548x767.jpg

The "Alaska Airlines" stylization on this kit tells me they're still stuck in a time period between 1984-1989.

I don't get the point of Portland having a jersey unveiling if they are just going to have a video of them on their own website...

Kind of redundant, isn't it? But SodBoy insists that it's to sell the unis on the spot at the physical unveiling.

The Timbers 3rd jersey is a retro fauxback, meant to echo the NASL era and using the team's old kelly green and yellow color scheme. They got Alaska Airlines to play along and use their '70s-'80s wordmark for the sponsorship.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Portland looks a lot better on a player than it did with just the shirt. I like how they're keeping with the red clash shirt too, that was one of my favorite kits in the league. There's a little too much white for my liking in these, though. I'm guessing they'll have green alternate shorts again? Otherwise, it might be a little hard if they're playing a team in all white.

Yeah, I don't think I'll hate these nearly as much as i thought I would. I don't understand the purpose of the strange v-neck pattern.

I just mean looking at it as a full kit -- both of them are all-white kits. The away has red trim and a red stripe down the middle, but it's still mostly white. Not that I can think of any MLS team that clashes with both dark green and white, so I doubt it really matters. Just an observation.

I dont see the jersey like that

Good to see they kept the Rose City logo. Now I'm wondering if adidas will be outfitting the ladies as well.

Nope, the NWSL is going to be an all-Nike league, I believe. That's why they couldn't be "Timbers Women" -- the Adidas contract says that the Timbers logo can't appear on other manufacturers' kits.

Really like the Sporting jersey, definitely picking one up.

The whole two-state concept and shape of the angle on the jersey (and that has always been on the crest) probably doesn't mean much unless you live around here but I think it's a clever graphical way of making the shirt "local" and a much smarter solution than adding a pointless and hideous jock tag to the shirt.

I also really like how the Ivy Funds sponsorship logo picks up the color of the jersey and doesn't stand out. The extra stripe along the state line is a nice touch and I also like how the sponsorship logo doesn't overlap or impede the design. For instance, I love the Seattle away shirt, it's gorgeous, but my one nitpick is how the XBOX text is just kind of overlaid and intrudes onto the stripe design without any real rhyme or reason.

My one nitpick on this SKC shirt is that the Ivy Funds logo itself has the same type of vertical striped elements that the crest does and from a distance it looks like two very similarly shaped and sized logos on the front.

Still, for Adidas and for a club which has had some of the most boring kits around in the past decade, this is way better than I expected and I really think this shirt will be a hit with SKC fans. I expect to see tons of them around Sporting Park this season.

P.S. - even though having a sponsor often hurts the integrity of the actual kit design, I for one am glad SKC finally has one. Maybe I am just jaded from decades of having advertising on kits but it just doesn't seem as professional to not have a sponsor on the shirt now.

I agree with most everything you said (well, except for having advertising on the jersey, but that's a different discussion).

My two nit-picky things about the new Sporting kit are:

1) the neck of the shirt looks like it has a wider band in the back than it does in the front and it creates some sort of weird point/tab thing that looks like it would dig in to the side of your neck and be a major annoyance. I don't understand the point of that.

2) It looks like the sponsor logo is offset just a bit to the left to accommodate the state line. In all the pictures I've seen, it just doesn't look like it lines up with the v-neck. If you draw a line straight down from the point of the neck, it looks like the logo is off centered. Maybe it's just the angle of the pictures, but if not, I think that will bother me every time I see it.

Other than those two things, I really like it.

385802_10151458721352042_601796189_n.jpg

I'm okay with the new SKC jerseys. I definitely like them better than the last set if for no other reason than it looks like and actual soccer jersey. The plainness and lack of sponsor on the previous set made them look like training shirts rather than soccer jerseys.

Archived