2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Why must every NHL team try to play Original 6 dressup? This new Hurricanes look is already boring and we haven't seen it in full yet.

What was so wrong with this?

HB60hPI.png

Sure, it doesn't look like Ye Olde Carolina Hurricanes Original Six Hockey Club, but it was identifiable as theirs and a modern classic. The only changes they needed were to add the warning stripes to the sleeves and make the alternate logo look like an actual hurricane warning flag.

Nothing, this set was perfect and it lifted the Stanley Cup. No need to change the sleeve stripes either.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8923c698c6d511e2918122000a9f4d8a_7.jpg

Looks a LOT like the wings....

speaking of which, I got up to go grab drink and I had this page up with the teaser pics and my wife walks by my computer and asks me if the Wings are getting new uniforms. I told her it was the Hurricanes teaser. She was like, "You sure? That looks awfully a lot like the Red Wings." She gave me a dumbfounded look and walked back to the living room.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Why must every NHL team try to play Original 6 dressup? This new Hurricanes look is already boring and we haven't seen it in full yet.

HB60hPI.png

Sure, it doesn't look like Ye Olde Carolina Hurricanes Original Six Hockey Club, but it was identifiable as theirs and a modern classic. The only changes they needed were to add the warning stripes to the sleeves and make the alternate logo look like an actual hurricane warning flag.

I don't know, I never rally liked the italicized NoB/numbers and I think it would be too much to have the hurricane striping on the sleeves, but other than that, I agree with you.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

HB60hPI.png

I don't know, I never rally liked the italicized NoB/numbers, but other than that, I agree with you 100%.

The only thing I didn't like about the Canes' original unis was the fact that none of the striping matched. The collar, the sleeves, the waist, and the socks (throw in the pants for good measure if you like) were all different. They could have made the sleeve pattern the "standard," repeated it on the socks and collar, and make the single red stripe on the white sweater's waist silver, and they'd have a much more consistent set.

And that's what really scares me about what's been revealed so far. How does the black/white/red/white/black stripe pattern go with the plain (let's be honest, "Red Wings") white stripe on the socks? Or what may be a big, solid red shoulder yoke?

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

My excitement for this unveiling dwindles with every miserable teaser. The Hurricanes have had a unique, instantly recognizable identity since the franchises inception... Also has a Stanley Cup behind it. Why ditch it for this generic cookie cutter garbage...

Same thing the Lightning did.

It's just stupid and lazy. I don't get why teams think this is a good idea.

2ly2w09.jpg

I always felt that adding the storm flags to the sleeves along with the hem would have been overkill.

That sleeve number really throws me. Either it's in a white inset on the red jersey, or it's a sign that there's not nearly enough red in the white jersey. And they're supposedly keeping the current third with this new set, right? Puzzling.

I understand we've only had a few select peeks designed to not give us a feel for the full uniform, but everything I've seen feels very much like the Portland Trailblazers. And since the Blazers are probably the worst-dressed they've ever been these days, that's not cause for optimism.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Trail Blazers' alternates are pretty awful, but their home and away look just fine to me. I like them favoring black, silver, and white over red; it sets them off from the Bulls.

The Hurricanes, more than almost any other team in the league, are just some guy's toy to do whatever with. Somehow, only God knows how, "whatever" once encompassed winning a championship, but for the most part, everything they do is random and forgettable and indulgent. What a waste of time, what a waste of a team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That looks like a black pants stripe too. Something the mockups are missing.

But yay for the death of originality.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I think this picture is designed to be misleading. At first glance, it looks like a single thin white stripe, but I don't think it is. If you look at the previous teaser with the stripe, you see that it is presumably a thin black stripe, then white stripe, then thick red, then white, then thin black on a white background. What could be in this picture is the same striping style, only W-R-B-R-W on red socks, and only the top white stripe is showing.

I think this picture is designed to be misleading. At first glance, it looks like a single thin white stripe, but I don't think it is. If you look at the previous teaser with the stripe, you see that it is presumably a thin black stripe, then white stripe, then thick red, then white, then thin black on a white background. What could be in this picture is the same striping style, only W-R-B-R-W on red socks, and only the top white stripe is showing.

If that's the top stripe, it's going to be VERY low on the sock.

"We're getting rid of our clean-yet-flavorful uniforms for some unbearably dry nothingness that identifies this team and region as Nothing from Nowhere, Home of the Red Uniformed Team."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It would be nice to see the warning flags appear SOMEWHERE...even on the arm instead of the solid stripes there... So it's not overpowering the uniform... Not sure why they disliked that element so much.

It would be nice to see the warning flags appear SOMEWHERE...even on the arm instead of the solid stripes there... So it's not overpowering the uniform... Not sure why they disliked that element so much.

They don't dislike it. They know it's popular, but they are the ones in charge and in line to make some more bucks. Which is why they are going with something uncommon just for sake of change, and it probably saves time and money to sew 20 hurricane warning patches across the waist of each jersey. The Hurricanes are victims of corporate identity thieves. So were the Lightning.

I remember the Hurricanes GM being adament about the RBK Edge jerseys not being tucked in so his team could preserve it's original "Hurricane Warning" striping pattern... There were articles about it back in 2007.

Archived