College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

The Rainbow Warriors are back....dare I begin to dream of the return of rainbow striped pants?...

Awesome. Even though some of their green and black Warriors stuff was pretty cool, the Rainbow Warriors uniforms were really cool. Hopefully they go with a total rebrand to go along with the name change.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rainbow Warriors are back....dare I begin to dream of the return of rainbow striped pants?...

Hope not... they'd be reverting to an inferior look. The Timmy Chang-era uniforms were one of the best sets in college football and should be brought back regardless of the name change.

There's gotta be a way to combine the looks. The darker colors don't really work for a team from Hawaii. The logo is really good, but the uniforms were hardly one of the best. Not even close

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Hawaii is returning to "Rainbow Warriors". I would expect uniform changes in the upcoming years!

http://www.sbnation....ainbow-warriors

This is great news. The old kelly green with rainbow stripes uniform was one of my all time favorites. The dark green and black fake-tuff look was so tired.

(I feel a concept coming on...)

"(Ben) Jay has now decided that no teams would go by Rainbow Warriors and that all teams would go by Rainbow Warriors."

Top notch journalism.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

?

I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

?

Wow, I never saw those uniforms before. Must be from when they played at the old Honolulu Stadium.

Hawaii is also having a "retro" night against SDSU this season wearing new uniforms from Under Armour: http://www.hawaiiath...0416135429.aspx

I'd love it if they did something like this concept I did years ago:

HawaiiThrowback.jpg

With the news of the name change, I'm guessing it's going to be the Rainbow Warrior era uniforms for the SDSU game. While I enjoyed the Warrior era with June Jones, the Rainbow Warriors brings back all the nostalgia and memories from "small kid" time. It's unique and screaming "Go 'Bows!" at the football games just sounded better than "Go Warriors!"

There's some debate going on about the name change, though. Not everyone is happy, especially with a new AD at the helm. His first big move was to change the men's teams to "Warriors", but public outcry seemed to change his mind. Conspiracy theories are abound at the Sports Hawaii forum where most members appear to prefer the "Warrior" name and think that the change was a money issue where old-time donors may have threatened to pull their support. There's definitely a divide between old and young.

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

?

Wow, I never saw those uniforms before. Must be from when they played at the old Honolulu Stadium.

Hawaii is also having a "retro" night against SDSU this season wearing new uniforms from Under Armour: http://www.hawaiiath...0416135429.aspx

HawaiiThrowback.jpg

With the news of the name change, I'm guessing it's going to be the Rainbow Warrior era uniforms for the SDSU game. While I enjoyed the Warrior era with June Jones, the Rainbow Warriors brings back all the nostalgia and memories from "small kid" time. It's unique and screaming "Go 'Bows!" at the football games just sounded better than "Go Warriors!"

There's some debate going on about the name change, though. Not everyone is happy, especially with a new AD at the helm. His first big move was to change the men's teams to "Warriors", but public outcry seemed to change his mind. Conspiracy theories are abound at the Sports Hawaii forum where most members appear to prefer the "Warrior" name and think that the change was a money issue where old-time donors may have threatened to pull their support. There's definitely a divide between old and young.

I mocked this up a while back.

UH-Logo-1.png

So many of my WAC football memories are tied up in these uni's.

fbb6.gif

I agree that there's some wac nostalgia but in all honesty the only uniform element that is unique are the pants stripe...the jersey is completely generic and looks like a practice jersey and the white helmet is pretty average despite the groovy logo...at least the polynesian motif was unique to hawaii, they just had too much black.

keep the rainbows as a throwback please.

hawaii-1959-uniforms.jpg

?

HawaiiThrowback.jpg

I'm curious, which side is favoring which? I would think that Warriors sounds tougher so that the younger crowd would like it, but Rainbow Warriors is such a quirky and hip name that younger people could also like it. Personally I love rainbow warriors much more, and I'm 19.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

?

I'm curious, which side is favoring which? I would think that Warriors sounds tougher so that the younger crowd would like it, but Rainbow Warriors is such a quirky and hip name that younger people could also like it. Personally I love rainbow warriors much more, and I'm 19.

But wasn't "Rainbow" pulled because of the "gay connotation"? In that case, I'd almost think young people would be more for it, but it looks like it's nostalic old timers for it and young people thinking "warriors" is tougher. I hope they go back simply because the reason for the change was so stupid. You'd think they'd have done that long ago, but by the time they did it the tides were starting to change on people's attitudes.

Interesting that the different teams were given the option of keeping the "rainbow". I was not aware of that. I also had not known it was so football-driven. It always seems to be the most homophobic sport.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived