College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Nike CFB is right now where Nike Soccer was in 2008. They are just coming out of the era of the templated uniform ('02 World Cup, '04 kits) and they are finally transitioning into making unique looks for every team (2006 World Cup), but they're still holding onto some bad habits from the template era. It's just going to take them a little longer to work things out and to get things really, really right.

I feel like Nike CFB is right now where Nike Soccer was in 2008. They are just coming out of the era of the templated uniform ('02 World Cup, '04 kits) and they are finally transitioning into making unique looks for every team (2006 World Cup), but they're still holding onto some bad habits from the template era. It's just going to take them a little longer to work things out and to get things really, really right.

I see the point you are making, but I have to disagree a little because I feel like Nike actually did a better job of not semi-templating (contrast cap sleeves, unique font, pattern on numbers, multiple helmets) in the same way for every team the past couple seasons before this one.

Not exactly uniform news, but college football design related. Depiction of the new turf being installed right now at my school. I'm actually pretty upset about it's "backstory" and designer but I can't really go into why just yet. Not to mention I am not a fan of the design.

http://www.gowyo.com.../050713aaa.html

485484_556399727744150_1247700083_n.jpg

Those endzones are magnificent.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Not exactly uniform news, but college football design related. Depiction of the new turf being installed right now at my school. I'm actually pretty upset about it's "backstory" and designer but I can't really go into why just yet. Not to mention I am not a fan of the design.

I agree. I really like those endzones.

gYH2mW9.png

The new field looks 10x better than the previous field:

wyo-12-facilities-wms-top.jpg

spacer.png

Who wants to bet those Zona unis only last one season...?

I think that's the point. New and disposable is more profitable than timeless and classic.

Boy, is that the truth. I find myself less and less interested in this "big debuts" of College football uniforms all the time (and for me, that's a giant change from just a few years ago). It all seems so transient and meaningless. Don't like the new uniform? No big deal... there's 18 different versions, so one might catch your eye, and if not you can just wait til next year. When the three NFL teams were leaking out their new looks I was checking the threads 20 times a day. This thread, which has new stuff constantly, I have to force myself to check.

I may be just feeling grumpy today, but the state of new design in CFB is a steaming pile of garbage.

My biggest gripe is that the mix/match combos have led to a trend of absolutely lazy design. In the past the arizona brand was a white and navy school with red trim. Now they are any random combination of r/w/b with a dash of copper. To me this is just not consistent with building an identity.

Another good case in point are OKST and ORST. Both OSU's have the exact same color palette but were easily identified. One was orange/white with black trim while the other was black/orange with white trim. Now both teams mix and match and are now indistinguishable from each other.

We are officially now in the dark ages.

The new field looks 10x better than the previous field:

wyo-12-facilities-wms-top.jpg

This looks very similar to the guy on this site and his re-brand of Wyoming. They should have paid him a ton of money for his designs. Loved them. Anyone remember who this was or where I could check out that work again? I remember he changed the logo slightly and updated the font. Design changes were subtle and even had a little backstory. Great presentation.

Is this the Mountain logo you were talking about? If you can discuss.

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Might be in the minority here, but the endzones just have too much going on. I mean they should've just picked the mountains or text in them.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

Is this the Mountain logo you were talking about? If you can discuss.

It does have to do with that whole situation. I didn't have any hand in designing this. The reason that this makes me so angry is:

A.) I think it was poorly executed. Looks too busy for my taste and the mountains look like clip art.

B.) The field design incorporates a lot of features from promotional logo I was blessed enough to do. I just feel a little cheated about the whole thing. But more about that come fall

Archived