College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's been stated before but the high gloss decal on the matte finish just looks stupid.

Idk, I fell in love with matte helmets when I saw mizzous pro combat uniform. It was just so perfect.

I like the idea of the rainbow warriors making a return, but with that being said, I think they'll end up looking like clowns in an under armor template. Rainbows running down the back of their legs??

CoogWhite_zps98935e8c.jpg

Saw this posted on another board. Imho this is much better than the awful eggshell white version pictured above.

BJ8TQ76CQAAEb4r_zps82ff81b8.jpg

It's probably the same but in different lighting and with a white facemask.

When is Houston going to realize they need to not have cookie-cutter uniforms?

It's probably not their choice. You can't force Nike to consider you an elite school and give you your own uniform template, especially not when you go 0-12 or whatever Houston did last year.

CoogWhite_zps98935e8c.jpg

Saw this posted on another board. Imho this is much better than the awful eggshell white version pictured above.

BJ8TQ76CQAAEb4r_zps82ff81b8.jpg

It's probably the same but in different lighting and with a white facemask.

It's probably not their choice. You can't force Nike to consider you an elite school and give you your own uniform template, especially not when you go 0-12 or whatever Houston did last year.

1. Maybe so.

2. 5-7 actually, with a new coaching staff, and only one returning skill player (RB Charles Sims) who had accumulated more than 200 yards of total offense the year before (and he missed all or part of six games due to injury).

When you're a B list school like UH you're not in a position to be too picky. Sucks, but what can you do?

Well, you could go with a smaller company that doesn't treat you like a B list school, a company that will put some time and effort into a design that would be yours alone. Or, you know, go with Nike who'll treat you like an easy side piece, and can barely be bothered to spend 5 minutes to have a computer slap your colors onto a premade template. But, hey, at least you get that allmight swoosh on your generic dime-a-dozen uniform design.

Call me crazy, I guess.

When you're a B list school like UH you're not in a position to be too picky. Sucks, but what can you do?

Well, you could go with a smaller company that doesn't treat you like a B list school, a company that will put some time and effort into a design that would be yours alone. Or, you know, go with Nike who'll treat you like an easy side piece, and can barely be bothered to spend 5 minutes to have a computer slap your colors onto a premade template. But, hey, at least you get that allmight swoosh on your generic dime-a-dozen uniform design.

Call me crazy, I guess.

You think Adidas would treat them better? Or would you rather Russell or Under Armor design their "unique" uniforms. And I'm pretty sure next year they're getting new uniforms anyway.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Call me crazy, I guess.

You think Adidas would treat them better? Or would you rather Russell or Under Armor design their "unique" uniforms. And I'm pretty sure next year they're getting new uniforms anyway.

You seem to be missing my point. No, I don't think Adidas, Russell, or Under Armor would treat them any better... or really, any different at all. With the exception of personal preference on the part of uniform geeks like us, there really isn't much difference between one megasports supplier and the next. Same basic way of doing business, and more tails wagging the dogs.

How about this for a radical idea? A college could, I dunno... design their own damn uniforms (or hire a local design firm to do so), then hire an apparel manufacturer to make them. See, when you pay the vender (instead of the other way around) you get to call the shots. No matter that you're a "B lister"... you are writing the check, so you get to say if the design isn't good enough, and you get to complain if you feel like they're not taking your business seriously. You even get to fire them when they deliver a paint-by-numbers hack job. And what do you lose? No swoosh on your shirt.

Damn, it really seems like we've gotten to the point where people honestly believe they have no choice but to play this big time label game. But do they really?

Call me crazy, I guess.

You seem to be missing my point. No, I don't think Adidas, Russell, or Under Armor would treat them any better... or really, any different at all. With the exception of personal preference on the part of uniform geeks like us, there really isn't much difference between one megasports supplier and the next. Same basic way of doing business, and more tails wagging the dogs.

How about this for a radical idea? A college could, I dunno... design their own damn uniforms (or hire a local design firm to do so), then hire an apparel manufacturer to make them. See, when you pay the vender (instead of the other way around) you get to call the shots. No matter that you're a "B lister"... you are writing the check, so you get to say if the design isn't good enough, and you get to complain if you feel like they're not taking your business seriously. You even get to fire them when they deliver a paint-by-numbers hack job. And what do you lose? No swoosh on your shirt.

Damn, it really seems like we've gotten to the point where people honestly believe they have no choice but to play this big time label game. But do they really?

Here's the thing. They do have a choice and don't have to take the generic template. This idea that the big time schools get priority is somewhat a misnomer. The client drives the look, not the designer. If the client in this case the school doesn't give a crap, then they just get a generic template, and that is what is happening. I'm pretty sure that any school can turn to their uniform manufacturer and say, "This is what we want." I just don't think they care enough to do so. You have schools like West Virginia which is not a top school getting 50 million designed uniforms, do you think their manufacturer just said, "Hey, WVU, we have this great idea to give you 50 million uniforms. What do you say?" No. West Virginia said that they wanted a different look. The blame lies not on the manufacturer, but on the schools that accept these designs. I mean, how hard would it be for UCLA to say to Addidas, "We will not accept these uniforms. These are NOT UCLA hoops. Get it right or we find someone who can make UCLA hoops." But UCLA doesn't care. Houston doesn't care. Why can Notre Dame look the way they do? Because they care about who they are. The power lies within the schools to develop and keep their look. They don't have to sign off on any of these designs.

Call me crazy, I guess.

Have you seen some of the truly craptacular stuff Addias, UA and Russell Athletic has put out recently? I'll take generic over hideous any time, thank you very much.

Call me crazy, I guess.

Here's the thing. They do have a choice and don't have to take the generic template. This idea that the big time schools get priority is somewhat a misnomer. The client drives the look, not the designer. If the client in this case the school doesn't give a crap, then they just get a generic template, and that is what is happening. I'm pretty sure that any school can turn to their uniform manufacturer and say, "This is what we want." I just don't think they care enough to do so. You have schools like West Virginia which is not a top school getting 50 million designed uniforms, do you think their manufacturer just said, "Hey, WVU, we have this great idea to give you 50 million uniforms. What do you say?" No. West Virginia said that they wanted a different look. The blame lies not on the manufacturer, but on the schools that accept these designs. I mean, how hard would it be for UCLA to say to Addidas, "We will not accept these uniforms. These are NOT UCLA hoops. Get it right or we find someone who can make UCLA hoops." But UCLA doesn't care. Houston doesn't care. Why can Notre Dame look the way they do? Because they care about who they are. The power lies within the schools to develop and keep their look. They don't have to sign off on any of these designs.

Unfortunately the modern reality is that 2nd and 3rd tier schools don't have the time or money to do anything but order out of a catalog and paint by numbers. Combine that with the fact that the coach or equipment manager is handed the responsibility of selecting the template and colors and then has to place the order. Lastly you have the recruiting angle where nike is the big dog and many of the kids want to wear the swoosh no matter how cookie cutter the template is.

The only way a team could get a really custom design would be to go with a small/localized vendor that had access to the right textiles and the capability to design and manufacture custom pattern. Lastly the uniforms would likely have to be sans logo because no college kid wants to wear off-brand gear.

Call me crazy, I guess.

I feel like this is a pretty old bit that we've been thru over and over, but we just keep getting back to. Yes yes yes, we all know that fault ultimately lies with the school that signs off on this. Yes, we all know that any school could make a bit of a stink and get more from the manufacturer than they would if they just sit back and take it. My point is that it's laziness on both sides. The schools at this level should demand more of the supplier, and the supplier should demand more of itself. But, generally, neither side does. The school doesn't because they are much more interested in the superficial meaning behind having that logo on their uniform (kids/recruits think Nike is cool) than they are with the performance/design aspects (all that lighter/faster/better hoohaa), and the manufacturer doesn't because, hell, it's business... if you can pawn off the same template again, why not?

I've taught at three different mid-level universities (two were MAC schools), and every one has a School of the Arts, within which is a design department where they teach this very stuff, and within which the students are sold on the idea that they're getting a great education, the kind of education which could very well lead to a job at Nike/Adidas/Under Armor. The design aspect could be handled in house. And, I know the big three companies like to say they're doing something no one else is capable of, but I know there are hundreds of apparel manufacturers (not mom and pop's, but big time companies... just not as big time as Nikeadidasunderarmor... many of these companies handle work that's farmed out from the big boys, anyway) who can be told what materials and performance features a client is interested in and deliver a good product.

But that's not what any of this is about. Nikeadidasunderarmor just wants to get their logo on as many jerseys as possible to spread the brand, and 2nd tier schools just want the logo, for that artificial stamp of approval. All that's fine I guess, but it's irksome when they try so hard to pretend otherwise, and make such a big deal about these "rebrandings". You know what would be awesome? The next time a 2nd tier school wants to show off a new design, just call the press, and project a big Nike swoosh on the screen in the school colors, because that's really what they're showing off.

Call me crazy, I guess.

Unfortunately the modern reality is that 2nd and 3rd tier schools don't have the time or money to do anything but order out of a catalog and paint by numbers. Combine that with the fact that the coach or equipment manager is handed the responsibility of selecting the template and colors and then has to place the order. Lastly you have the recruiting angle where nike is the big dog and many of the kids want to wear the swoosh no matter how cookie cutter the template is.

The only way a team could get a really custom design would be to go with a small/localized vendor that had access to the right textiles and the capability to design and manufacture custom pattern. Lastly the uniforms would likely have to be sans logo because no college kid wants to wear off-brand gear.

A uniform tha is unique, even without a logo wouldn't matter. Also, Air Force's ugly uniforms last year were made local and then had the swwoosh stitched on I believe. If they're a school sponsor then I am sure they wouldn't care if the school maufactured tops and slapped their logo on it.

Archived