Logos and uniforms that have run their course

kajeet

Gonna have to agree to disagree. I really feel like a custom font could add to these (though on second thought, the numbers-on-sleeves version WAS better). To me, these seem "absurd" in the same way a lot of uniforms from the 30s and 40s look to us now, and I was thinking of a font that wouldn't be out of place in that era. Something along the lines of this:

Even with a custom font, the Bengals unis would still be pretty tame by today's standards.

But again... just my two cents.

I see what you are saying. I figured "custom font" mean something fierce and resembling tiger stripes. Those type of fonts wouldn't be nearly as bad, but I still think that the simplicity of a standard thick block would work best for them.

Oh, and I can't see Buc's concept here at work, so I can't comment on his numbers.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the dislike of custom fonts on here, BTW. When done right, they can really add to an identity. For instance, UCLA looked so much better with their custom serif font (and the blue facemasks):

$(KGrHqJ,!lIE2D1S9HhmBNlhVz5cGg~~0_12.JPG

Once they switched back to plain old block, they started to look boring again:

hi-res-104387609_crop_650x440.jpg?1346105160

And now that they're wearing those horrible TechFit uniforms with the tiny, nearly invisible shoulder stripes, their look has officially run its course.

hi-res-156602787_crop_650x440.jpg?1356208793

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

My goodness. I hadn't realized just how much UCLA's jerseys had changed. It's a shame, too; their old number font was one of my favorites in all of sport. Also: What moron decided UCLA needed less UCLA stripes?!

Sigs are for sissies.

LO, I don't agree with your assertion about "dislike of custom fonts on here". It seems most people like them and find block fonts boring. I am not one of those people, but I honestly feel that block fonts almost always look better, particularly in football.

In fact, I'd argue that that first UCLA picture shows a number font on that uniform that had run its course.

Your second photo is literally my favorite college football jersey ever. The block numbers are just bolder than most other fonts and I think just look best on football jerseys.

The numbers on the third photo certainly are not as good as the second, but the main problem is the newer jersey style and the little equal signs in place of the great shoulder stripes. I don't think the look has run its course, so much as it translated very poorly to the "tech fit" jersey. Loopy numbers with drop shadows would not help.

In any case, if we did a poll on which of the first two are preferred, the top one would win in a runaway.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Custom fonts are bad in most instances (in practice if not in principle). I liked when UCLA used the custom font. However, they also looked great with the block font afterwards, maybe even better.

But there is a giant difference between UCLA's uniforms and the Bengals': UCLA doesn't use friggin tiger stripes. THAT's why you have to tone down and keep it traditional with their numbers, otherwise you venture into Clownsville, where their current uniforms reside.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've never understood the dislike of custom fonts on here, BTW. When done right, they can really add to an identity.

The problem is that custom fonts go wrong more often than they're go right. It's difficult to screw up a block font.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've never understood the dislike of custom fonts on here, BTW.

Well to be perfectly honest most people here can't understand why you like a lit of the things you like ;)

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with the idea of a custom font. I just don't think they work for EVERY team.

You like to champion the custom fonts of UCLA, the Detroit Red Wings, and the Toronto Maple Leafs, but the thing is those are teams with rich histories and deep traditions. For those teams, block simply looks the best. Custom fonts are a fairly modern innovation, and thus look best on newer teams. I don't dislike the custom fonts for the Leafs, Red Wings, and UCLA because I hate custom fonts, I just don't think custom fonts work for those teams.

On the flip side I love the custom font the Tampa Bay Lightning used for the first few years, as well as the fonts used by the Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche.

Not a logo that has run its course, but I cannot understand why no matter what the Bobcats tweak and revamp, they're still married to that horrible pseudo-Mavericks font. Arched, oblique, straight across, doesn't matter. It's horrid, and doesn't warrant being kept around in every single iteration.

I'm ready for the Mariners to try something new if they can make something that's not terrible. The 1990s redesign has been pretty well dragged through the muck at this point, and the M's aren't the sort of team that can't reinvent themselves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2yvckb1h6jaqhygghpvfy0phb.gif

It's not a bad logo be any stretch. Especially for a baseball team. It's the multi-colored panels that ruin it. Anyone care to make this logo with Florida Marlins colors?

I found this in concepts made by user XCWARRIOR.

MarlinsLogo-1.png

I like the marlins logo, had a cap until it got traded for a new Astros cap being that I'm an Astros fan :)

But see some people don't like it but recoloered it looks fine or better.

There is no kind of recoloring that can make the thunder logo decent by any stretch of the imagination.

Archived