NBA Changes 2013-14 Season

Burkell007

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of mascots the Raptors introduced their new mascot "stripes" because "the raptor" suffered a season ending injury.

stripes810-103013.jpg

Edit: btw... they're cousins

Makes sense. Raptors hunted in packs.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Why couldn't they just have whoever's playing "Stripes" fill in for the regular mascot instead of inventing a whole new one?

From the little I know about mascot culture, its a very tight-knit community and the performer inside is as essential as the suit they wear. So its (a little) like saying why doesn't Nick Young just put on Kobe's jersey until he gets back.

Why couldn't they just have whoever's playing "Stripes" fill in for the regular mascot instead of inventing a whole new one?

From the little I know about mascot culture, its a very tight-knit community and the performer inside is as essential as the suit they wear. So its (a little) like saying why doesn't Nick Young just put on Kobe's jersey until he gets back.

Yeah, but likely takes several weeks/months to get a costume made. No way the Raptors rushed and created a new character (which had to be approved by NBA properties) just because the guy in the raptor suit broke his leg. This was planned beforehand.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The guy who plays Rumble the Bison is the same guy who played Squatch. I guess that's kind of the opposite situation, though.

As a former mascot, I will say it depends. I have been asked to fill in for other mascots, and know of others who have filled in for different mascots.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived