Sports Graphics Packages, Historically

17 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Wait till after daytona in february.

I joked around with @raysox after this first came out that Fox is totally going to come out with some ungodly scorebug for the Clash, face a huge swarm of backlash, and reverse course to something else for the 500 like they've already done like 3 times before when trying a new graphics package out

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

2022 for FOX Sports I predict will have new graphics for Nascar and possibly NFL (2022 season will also have FOX broadcasting Super Bowl LVII in February 2023) having more white and colorful graphics like the baseball and college basketball graphics.

I still think NBC will unveil a Sky Sports-esque graphics package for Super Bowl LVI.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

For some reason college basketball (and basketball generally) has been bucking a trend toward smaller graphics and going more and more gigantic. I don't get it, I actually like the NBA on NBC-era "quick flash of the score when someone makes a basket" thing, but even this is much better than what we have now. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fbjim said:

For some reason college basketball (and basketball generally) has been bucking a trend toward smaller graphics and going more and more gigantic. I don't get it...

I assumed this trend is the networks' attempt to make their identifying graphics "easier to read" in mobile video applications, whether it's for live streaming or social media consumption.

This is the same reason why the current NFL bug on FOX (and Marquee's initial scorebug for Cubs games) is centered horizontally -- so people can still see it and get proper context when a highlight is cropped square on Instagram.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 8:18 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

I joked around with @raysox after this first came out that Fox is totally going to come out with some ungodly scorebug for the Clash, face a huge swarm of backlash, and reverse course to something else for the 500 like they've already done like 3 times before when trying a new graphics package out

Yep, bracing myself for the absolute cluster:censored: of a scorebug after seeing this

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

16 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Looking at the scorebug on CBS for the NE-BUF Wild Card game, the logos look smaller than usual. I feel like I've seen this happen with FOX's scorebug a few times as well.

And they're doing it again with PHI-TB!

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, FSUViking said:

The super shiny, almost 3D NFL logos needs to go. The whole ESPN graphics department, from logos to the scorebugs to the stupid cartoon graphics.....sucks.

I think if they went with the way they do the college logos, they wouldn't look as bad. And it's weird that they have those nice looking 3D players for each team but when they go to the cartoons, they remind me of the South Korean  videos talking about celebrity couple fights on YouTube.

Tiger Woods car accident reenactment videos with wife Elin Nordegren *  starcasm.net

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Kind of a random thought: With TNF Football moving exclusively to Amazon for 2022, I imagine we’ll be getting another exclusive graphics for TNF for the first time in a long time, since they had the NFL Network branding. I have no idea what to expect so it’ll be interesting. 

Also hoping if NBC does change their NFL graphics, it’s not too extreme. Their current scorebug isn’t as good as the last two but they don’t need a full-on overhaul. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Kind of a random thought: With TNF Football moving exclusively to Amazon for 2022, I imagine we’ll be getting another exclusive graphics for TNF for the first time in a long time, since they had the NFL Network branding. I have no idea what to expect so it’ll be interesting. 

Also hoping if NBC does change their NFL graphics, it’s not too extreme. Their current scorebug isn’t as good as the last two but they don’t need a full-on overhaul. 

So…is it not going to be on TV anymore? Do we need Amazon prime to watch TNF?

• Like 1

ESPN's NFL package is rough right now. They like to use helmets in the imagery, almost all having the wrong colored facemask. The flags with metallic on them are cool until they disintegrate in the wind, then it's not great, which they definitely do during the draft. I also don't understand the obsession with altering the logos, why do they have to add the bubbling effect? And why do the NBA ones have to be 3D? It just doesn't add anything but make the logos look goofy. There's ways to apply them to add more than just the base logo, but it doesn't have to go all ridiculous.

maxresdefault.jpg

FOX needs to stop with the cartoons. It was fun the first time, but ever since then they just look bad. Why can't they just use a picture of the person? Newer viewers don't know what these people look like, especially in NASCAR and Football where they wear helmets.

As for NASCAR, yikes is coming. I don't understand the need for it to be all patriotic in stars and stripes. Simple is nice, and NASCAR has actually done a real good job in their branding, why can't they adopt similar design elements to the broadcast?

• Like 3

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 1/28/2022 at 6:00 AM, flyersfan said:

ESPN's NFL package is rough right now. They like to use helmets in the imagery, almost all having the wrong colored facemask. The flags with metallic on them are cool until they disintegrate in the wind, then it's not great, which they definitely do during the draft. I also don't understand the obsession with altering the logos, why do they have to add the bubbling effect? And why do the NBA ones have to be 3D? It just doesn't add anything but make the logos look goofy. There's ways to apply them to add more than just the base logo, but it doesn't have to go all ridiculous.

maxresdefault.jpg

FOX needs to stop with the cartoons. It was fun the first time, but ever since then they just look bad. Why can't they just use a picture of the person? Newer viewers don't know what these people look like, especially in NASCAR and Football where they wear helmets.

As for NASCAR, yikes is coming. I don't understand the need for it to be all patriotic in stars and stripes. Simple is nice, and NASCAR has actually done a real good job in their branding, why can't they adopt similar design elements to the broadcast?

ESPN MNF need new graphics Pronto won't surprised me if they do now that few games will be simulcast on ABC