If you had to pick a color scheme for a certain team, what would it be and why?

buckeye

We always seem to have these debates on this board, so I figured I'd start a topic about it. If you had to pick a certain team, whether your favorite or just some random team, would you give them a different color scheme that they should go back to, move to, etc.? Would you combine colors from today with colors from the past? Would you rather see the Toronto Raptors in orange over purple? If you had to pick the ideal situation of team and colors, what would that optimal choice be?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) The newly named Pelicans to Green, Purple, and Yellow or Gold. Reminds me of the color of Mardi Gras.

2) New England Patriots back to the Red, White, Blue. More patriotic, not a fan of the new look...love when they wear the throwbacks.

3) Miami Marlins back to the Teal and Black. Nice to see unique color scheme, miss the Teal as a primary color.

4) U Of Hawaii back to the Rainbow color/images. Fits in with the culture of Hawaii. I understand Black is supposed to be tougher.

5) Seattle Seahawks back to the Royal Blue, Silver, and Green. Enjoyed that look, I'm sure they could have incorporated more new with old in latest design.

6) Tampa Bay Lightning. Black, Royal Blue, and White. Colors were too simplified. NHL doesn't need 2 Maple Leafs.

7) Cleveland Cavaliers. Back to using more Navy with the Wine and Gold.

"Roll Along"

San Diego Padres would be yellow-gold and seal brown as their main colors.

St.Louis Rams would be back in royal blue and yellow-gold like they used to be.

Dallas Mavericks would return to royal blue and kelly green. It would be possible to add silver to the mix, but no!

Milwaukee Brewers is difficult for me, but I found an idea. I would either ditch the navy and royal blue in favor of green and yellow-gold, but it would be too much like the Green Bay Packers. So, navy and yellow-gold would be my choice for them.

I miss the Denver Broncos royal blue and burnt or dark orange they had from 1968-1978. When they lighten the orange, it became less appealing to me. But I am glad the 1997 outfit kept the burnt orange or dark orange aspect. I was never a fan of light orange, but dark orange and royal blue was old school for Denver fans and the Marlin Briscoe era.

I would select royal purple and white only for the Sacramento Kings when the team were called the Rochester Royals.

I would also select columbia blue and orange for the Los Angeles Clippers. The San Diego Clippers' colors from 1978-1984.

I would make red helmets, red jerseys, silver pants, and black accents will be the primary uniforms for the Atlanta Falcons.

For the Memphis Grizzles, I would go for copper brown, vermillion red, and white. No teal at all. It would be similar to the Cleveland Browns except the orange is red instead.

I would give the Cleveland Cavaliers their 1978-1982 burgundy and old gold colors.

Washington Redskins would be the same way. burgundy helmets and jerseys and old gold pants and accents from their 2002 look.

Indianapolis Colts would return to the actual royal blue instead of the drizzled, dingy blue they wear now a days.

Chicago White Sox will return to the red, white and blue scheme if it was up to me. Grey would be their home uniforms with the red, white, and blue color scheme.

Atlanta Hawks, I would choose red, but no yellow-gold (save that for Houston Rockets and Atlanta Braves). The Hawks would be a dark red (brick red), black, silver, and white like their Football cousins the Atlanta Falcons. No more navy blue or yellow-gold for these guys please.

Houston Rockets would return to red and yellow-gold since it suits them much better than the Atlanta Hawks.

Miami Marlins would be aqua, black, silver, and white. I would replace teal with aqua since it looks more blue than teal which looks more like a blue-green crayon color. I hate the Miami Dolphins wannabee Marlins.

Los Angeles Kings should be purple, silver, black, and white just like how the 1994-current Sacramento Kings are.

Dallas Stars would be kelly green, yellow-gold, and white.

Seattle Mariners would return to royal blue and yellow-gold instead.

Atlanta Braves would turn into red, yellow-gold, navy blue (less emphasis on the navy blue), grey, and white.

Cleveland Indians would be royal blue, orange, grey, and white so there will be a few red, white, and blue teams.

Arizona Diamondbacks would be jade green, dark orange, black, grey, and white. No purple at all.

Milwaukee Bucks would be pine green, light green, and white.

I would bring the Seattle Seahawks their 2002 Seahawks Blue and Neon Green with silver.

Philadelphia Phillies would have to be columbia blue, maroon, grey, and white. No more red, white, and blue for the Phillies. Save the red, white, and blue for the 76ers.

I would go back to peach-orange, red, and white for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but make that mascot more meaner and bolder.

Sorry in advance for the long list, but this thread goes perfectly with an old project of mine I dug up and re-started recently. I tried to re-brand the entire NBA, and I started by trying to give each team a unique color scheme.....(I don't count white as a color, btw, and excuse my lack of proper color names)

Atlanta Hawks - Red, Yellow, Black

Boston Celtics - Green & Gold

Brooklyn Nets - Black & Vintage White

Charlotte Hornets - Teal, Purple, Carolina Blue

Chicago Bulls - Red & Black

Cleveland Cavaliers - Wine, Yellow, Gold

Dallas Mavericks - Blue, Silver, Green

Denver Nuggets - Yellow & "Blue Rainbow"

Detroit Pistons - Blue, Red, Silver

Golden State Warriors - Yellow, Blue, Orange

Houston Rockets - Red & Silver

Indiana Pacers - Navy & Yellow

LA Clippers - Powder Blue & Orange

LA Lakers - Purple, Yellow, Silver

Memphis Grizzlies - Navy, Powder Blue, Yellow

Miami Heat - Black, Orange, Pink

Milwaukee Bucks - "Green Rainbow" & Purple

Minnesota Timberwolves - Forest Green, Slate Grey, Black, Silver

New Orleans Pelicans - Sky Blue, Brown, Gold, Slate Grey

New York Knicks - Orange, Blue, Black

Oklahoma City Thunder - Sky Blue, Navy, Orange

Orlando Magic - Blue, Black, Silver

Philadelphia 76ers - Red & Blue

Phoenix Suns - Purple, Orange, Black

Portland Trailblazers - Maroon, Black, Gold

San Antonio Spurs - Black, Silver, "Fiesta Colors"

Sacramento Kings - Purple, Black, Silver

Toronto Raptors - Purple, Red, Black

Utah Jazz - Purple, Copper, Teal

Washington Wizards - Red, Blue, Gold, Black

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Sorry in advance for the long list, but this thread goes perfectly with an old project of mine I dug up and re-started recently. I tried to re-brand the entire NBA, and I started by trying to give each team a unique color scheme.....(I don't count white as a color, btw, and excuse my lack of proper color names)

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Silly me, forgot to add reasons. Sorry for another long post.

Atlanta: Going to Navy & Red was not a good move after being Red & Yellow for so long.

Boston: I love it when the Celts use gold. A new, yet classy twist to their tradition.

Brooklyn: Vintage White to provide a subtle break between the Black & White. Also, Vintage White ABA-style Nets fauxback.

Charlotte: Gotta add Columbia Blue because, y'know, Jordan. Plus, it replaces the shade of blue the Hornets originally used in addition to their teal.

Chicago: Lol.

Cleveland: The Gold from the LeBron era returns as trim.

Dallas: The Mavs incorporate elements from the other Dallas squads....Blue from the Cowboys, Green from the Stars, and Silver to tie it all in.

Denver: Their current alternate is altered to become their primary look. That's where the "Blue Rainbow" comes from.

Detroit: Silver is used for a bit of a chrome effect in a nod to their 90's set, but not much more than that.

Golden State: I liked the way that orange/bronze looked on their previous set, so I brought it back.

Houston: Sorry, Rockets fans - Red & Yellow's taken.

Indiana: Duh.

LA Clippers: With teams in the same market, I tried to give them distinct identities. Brooklyn represents the streets and urban culture, the Knicks represent the city and metro life. The Lakers represent glitz and glamour, the Clippers represent the laid-back Pacific coast. Their old Powder Blue & Orange color scheme was perfect.

LA Lakers: The Celts get Gold, the Lakers get Silver, simple as that.

Memphis: Double-blue seems to be a Tennessee thing, so I kept that going.

Miami: Floridians! Plus, Miami's probably the only place that can rock pink without too much ridicule.

Milwaukee: Mostly Green Rainbow, Purple's used as trim only. I prefer their Purple look, so that's why I chose it over red.

Minnesota: I think Forest Green is way better than the blue they use now.

New Orleans: I just tried to go in a unique direction here, by adopting a color scheme similar to, well, a pelican.

New York: BLACK IS TRIM ONLY! I liked their home unis with black, but I thought they screwed it up by putting too much in the away ones. So I fixed it.

OKC: I just cut down on all the other colors they use. No yellow or stuff like that.

Orlando: Lol.

Philadelphia: The Sixers are now the sole owners of strictly Red & Blue.

Phoenix: Black rules, grey sucks.

Portland: Had to do something to separate them from the Bulls. Remember the 90's Sonics/90's Pistons Maroon? The Gold is trim, might swap it for Silver.

San Antonio: The Fiesta Colors are awesome.

Sacramento: I nearly gave them Gold.....then looked at those weird old alternates and went, "lolnope."

Toronto: Red, Purple & Black. Never should've changed.

Utah: Why they abandoned a color scheme that actually fit with their city, I'll never understand. I simplified the 90's colors.

Washington: Can we blend the traditional RWB with the Presidential-seal inspired Blue, Gold, and Black? YES WE CAN!

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Utah: Why they abandoned a color scheme that actually fit with their city, I'll never understand. I simplified the 90's colors.

"[Dennis Haslem] said research has shown that the uniform color that young people buy most right now is a light blue, followed by navy. Those colors dominate the updated logo, which has purple mountains, light blue Jazz lettering with dark blue encircling the perimeter."

And there you have many team's rationale for their ill-advised, mid-decade color swaps.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

"[Dennis Haslem] said research has shown that the uniform color that young people buy most right now is a light blue, followed by navy. Those colors dominate the updated logo, which has purple mountains, light blue Jazz lettering with dark blue encircling the perimeter."

And there you have many team's rationale for their ill-advised, mid-decade color swaps.

There were definitely way too many light blue+dark blue teams. Kind of like the overuse of purple and teal in the 90s, except worse.

Salt Lake City is a mountain town. It fit. They have as much right as any to pull the light blue/dark blue look. Their current scheme is gross. Looks too much like a New Orleans colour scheme.

MLB

Arizona Diamondbacks--Brick Red/Purple/Turquoise* OR Brick/Black/Turquoise.

San Diego Padres--Brown/Yellow/Light Blue OR Brown/Orange/Light Blue.

Miami Marlins--Teal/Red-Orange/Black

Tampa Bay Rays--Dark Green/Light Blue

Seattle Mariners--Navy/Dark Teal/Gold (replace Silver in current set).

Colorado Rockies--Purple/Dark Gray

Milwaukee Brewers--Navy/Yellow or possibly Dark Green/Gold.

Minnesota Twins--Purple/Red

Cleveland Indians--Red/Brown

NFL

Jacksonville Jaguars--Teal/Gold/Black or Teal/Yellow/Black

Tennessee Titans--Columbia Blue/Red

Arizona Cardinals--Cardinal Red/Black/Yellow

St. Louis Rams--Navy/Yellow

San Diego Chargers--Powder Blue/Yellow/Navy

New York Jets--Kelly Green/White/Black

Dallas Cowboys--Navy/White/Silver ;)

NBA

Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets--Teal/Purple (take note, MJ).

Atlanta Hawks--Red/Black/Yellow

Miami Heat--Red/Orange/Black

Los Angeles Clippers--Light Blue/Orange

Oklahoma City Thunder--Dark Gray/Red-Orange/Strong Blue

Minnestota Timberwolves--Green/Black/Stong Blue

Utah Jazz--Dark Green/Purple/Yellow OR Purple/Light Blue/Copper

Houston Rockets--Red/Yellow

New Orleans Pelicans--Fucia-ish Red^/Gold/Navy

Memphis Grizzlies--Dark Brown/Light Blue/Red OR Black/Teal/Red OR Light Blue/Red/Navy

Sacramento Kings--Purple/Silver/Black

NHL

Carolina Hurricanes--Red/Dark Gray/Black

Dallas Stars--Green/Yellow/Black OR Green/Black/Gold/Silver

Colorado Avalanche--Burgundy/Strong Blue/Midnight Navy

Anaheim Ducks--Dark Green/Orange/Bronze

San Jose Sharks--Teal/Silver/Black OR Teal/Black/Yellow

Tampa Bay Lightning--Blue/Black/White

Pittsburgh Penguins--Black/Yellow

*Turquoise: Not Teal but lighter; similar shade to turquiose which is used in Southwest/Native American jewelry.

^Slightly redder than Fuchsia Rose (per Wikipedia); some around here thought this was the Pelicans' reddish color when their logos were unveiled.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I miss the Denver Broncos royal blue and burnt or dark orange they had from 1968-1978. When they lighten the orange, it became less appealing to me. But I am glad the 1997 outfit kept the burnt orange or dark orange aspect. I was never a fan of light orange, but dark orange and royal blue was old school for Denver fans and the Marlin Briscoe era...

The Broncos orange has remained a 'bright' orange since 1977. The actual orange hasn't changed noticeably since 1977 (there have been two or three VERY slight changes to the orange since 1998).

Also, the Marlin Briscoe era? He played for the Broncos in 1968, his rookie season, and then was traded away by the moron known as Lou Saban.

However, as far as the Broncos go, I'd keep the orange and revert back to royal blue.

Other teams...

Denver Nuggets: I would replace the yellow with a metallic gold and make the 'rainbow' fauxback navy.

Also, for the NFL...

Cowboys: I would use only a dark royal blue and get rid of the other blues. I would unify all the silvers to the bluish silver that the helmet is.

Lions: I would eliminate the black and replace it with navy blue.

Packers: I would switch the yellow to gold and the green to a more forest green with a tinge of blue.

Colts: I would switch to a two tone blue scheme with silver. The blues would be an off navy and a blue lighter than royal, but darker than Carolina blue.

Dolphins: I would keep the aqua and blue they switched to, but revert back to the bright orange instead.

Vikings: I would switch out the yellow for metallic gold.

Patriots: I would go back to red, white & royal blue. No navy, no silver.

Giants: I would remove the red and go with a two tone navy and royal blue with silver included.

Jets: I would change the green back to kelly green, but I would also bring back the black.

Eagles: I would remove the black and replace it with kelly green, using a now two tone green. I would also remove the charcoal and keep the prominent silver.

Steelers: I would add a steel gray/silver color to the scheme.

Seahawks: I would revert back to their 2002-11 color scheme.

Rams: I would keep the vegas gold, but switch the navy for a darker royal blue.

Buccaneers: I would keep the colors, but make use of the orange more.

Titans: Like the Bucs, I would keep the colors but make use of red more.

Redskins: I would switch out the yellow for metallic gold.

A season or two ago, Cardiff City changed their traditional blue shirts to red. The decision came from the club's Malaysian owners, and reflected the fact that red is a lucky colour in the Far East. Needless to say the decision wasn't popular at all with Cardiff fans, and I think a return to blue shirts should be made. Paired with white shorts, ideally.

I've mentioned this in the 'Uniforms you'd bring back' thread, but I'm a big fan of Crystal Palace's sash shirts worn by the club in the 1970s. They've been resurrected once or twice since, but if I had my way they'd sport the look full time.

Turning to my own club, for the vast majority of our history Hull City have turned out in black and amber, although we've flitted between stripes and plain amber shirts. I much prefer the former - it's a unique scheme in England's upper divisions, it looks highly ace, and when we wear plain shirts you're guaranteed to regularly see images of Wolves players used incorrectly by confused picture editors. The buffoons.

I have a bunch and, yeah, most would be turning back the clock some...some great color schemes have been ditched for trends.

MLB

• Padres: Brown and Orange. I really feel the Brown/yellow is a bit tacky and the brown/orange would have more "staying power"

NFL

• Lions: Honolulu blue and silver
  • Eagles: Kelly green and silver. I really, really think those colors work. You don't need to darken the green and add black.
  • Seahawks: The previous color scheme (I LOVED that jersey).

NBA

• Hawks: Red/Yellow. Another good color scheme that does not need black.
  • Timberwolves: Blue, Green, and Silver (to be different from...)
  • Mavs: Blue and Green
  • Bucks: The Irish rainbow

NHL

• Devils: Merry Christmas
  • Stars: Dump the silver for some yellow and minimize the black
  • Anaheim Ducks--Green and orange...great combo, not often used.
  • Oilers: The pre-edge look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ravens - lighter purple, black, Old Gold

Titans - columbia blue, navy, silver

Jaguars - black, teal, copper

Texans - slightly brighter blue

Chiefs - red, white, silver

Broncos - their old blue and orange

Chargers - pacific blue, yellow

Cowboys - silver and navy

Redakins - burgandy and slightly darker yellow/gold

Eagles - kelly, silver, black

Saints - black and old gold ( throwbacks)

Rams - navy and athletic gold

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived