Teams that need new venues

Evil G

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers could have built this, perhaps the finest Ebbets clone ever. Instead, Miller Park was built.

BedaRUQCMAAdl7I.jpg

They also could've stuck it in an actual neighborhood, like Ebbets was... so many missteps with the building of Miller Park.

Joking aside I think the growth of San Antonio makes it prime location for a fture MLB team

Good point, but for me personally, I would rather see San Antonio get an NFL team. Texas should have three NFL teams, not Florida. SA is only a two-sport major league town, in my opinion, and the Spurs and an NFL team (named the Gunslingers) would be perfect.

However, I don't see the NFL expanding anytime soon, and I don't know who would move there. The Chargers and/or Raiders may end up moving to LA, and some people think that the Rams may end up there as well. And, the Jaguars probably won't move for at least 20 years, if ever.

Joking aside I think the growth of San Antonio makes it prime location for a fture MLB team

Good point, but for me personally, I would rather see San Antonio get an NFL team. Texas should have three NFL teams, not Florida. SA is only a two-sport major league town, in my opinion, and the Spurs and an NFL team (named the Gunslingers) would be perfect.

However, I don't see the NFL expanding anytime soon, and I don't know who would move there. The Chargers and/or Raiders may end up moving to LA, and some people think that the Rams may end up there as well. And, the Jaguars probably won't move for at least 20 years, if ever.

The Jags could move to San Antonio and play in the Alamodome until they get a new facility. In all seriousness though, San Antonio is growing and will be in discussions for pro franchises in the future. In other news, Syracuse is probably replacing (or in talks at least) the outdated Carrier Dome with a new retractable roofed stadium that will hold around 44,000.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/syracuse-university-wants-retractable-roof-stadium-to-replace-carrier-dome-012514

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Brett Favre would have to be part of that team if it's named the Gunslingers :P.

San Antonio wouldn't really work for the NFL though. It's not that big of a metro area and it's prime Cowboy territory.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

On a recent Daily Planet, there was an animation about a "transforming arena" (basically the roof can collapse inward for a smaller concert venue according to the article I read). The animation was done by Populous who have designed eight current NHL arenas.

Why am I saying this you might ask? It's because the animation used the Calgary Flames logo at centre ice, Flames clips on the Jumbotron and flames along the video ring above the seats. This is leading to speculation about the animation used on Daily Planet being a concept for a new arena for the Flames.

A Populous spokesperson said she would look into why the Flames logo was there and Ken King (Flames owner) wasn't available for comment.

IbjBaeE.png

It would make sense. One of the biggest complaints about the Saddledome has been how unfit it is to host concerts: the roof makes it harder to set up the stages, and it's hell on the acoustics. Building an arena that can become a perfect concert venue seems like a natural way to compensate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On a recent Daily Planet, there was an animation about a "transforming arena" (basically the roof can collapse inward for a smaller concert venue according to the article I read). The animation was done by Populous who have designed eight current NHL arenas

Only 8? Speaking of Populous, formerly HOK, they have been chosen by the Braves to design their new Cobb County ballpark.

The Jags could move to San Antonio and play in the Alamodome until they get a new facility. In all seriousness though, San Antonio is growing and will be in discussions for pro franchises in the future. In other news, Syracuse is probably replacing (or in talks at least) the outdated Carrier Dome with a new retractable roofed stadium that will hold around 44,000.

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/syracuse-university-wants-retractable-roof-stadium-to-replace-carrier-dome-012514

While on that subject Syracuse the city needs a new Hockey arena like 20 years ago.

• 4 months later...

Why are you bumping a dead thread without contributing anything new of substance? Bad form.

So agree.

All one had to do was to search, "team name + stadium issue" and one would have gotten something new from the latest post. That bump with no news was very lazy.

Even the Chargers had one during the last time members replied on this thread...

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Jan/26/spot-for-new-chargers-stadium/

• 1 month later...

Red Wings have unveiled their plans for their new stadium to be completed by 2017:

V6-140719845.jpg

V5-140719845.jpg

Some highlights:

Deconstructed design: Most arenas are built as a big box with the playing surface and seating ringed by concourses, concession stands, team offices and restaurants. But the new arena will be deconstructed with the outer-ring functions moved into structures just set off or pulled away from the core inner playing surface and seats. They wont be separate buildings, but linked by a first-ever interior streetscape.

Glass covered streetscape: The area between the seating bowl and the outer buildings will be covered by glass to create a covered via, or interior streetscape, filled with trees, retail, dining and other amenities. Bridges and walkways will connect the outer buildings to the seating bowl through this covered interior street.

Lighted roof design: The roof of the arena will be fashioned with the most modern programmable lighting so that different images can be produced for a given event. In the rendering provided by Olympia Development, the roof shows the Red Wings logo as it will on hockey nights. But the roof could be green for St. Patricks Day or something else for a concert by Kid Rock or Eminem, Ilitch said. He described the desired effect as classy, not gaudy.

Playing surface: The playing surface will be set about 32 feet below ground level to lower the profile of the building, producing a more human-scale environment in the district where most buildings will rise just two to four stories. That follows the practice at Comerica Park and Ford Field, where the playing surfaces were set below ground level.

A DRAMATIC TRANSFORMATION OF THE HEART OF DETROIT will begin in September, when the Ilitch family breaks ground on the construction of a $450 million Detroit Red Wings arena concurrently with another $200 million in apartments, restaurants, office buildings, parks and shops over 45 blocks. This is the citys entertainment district, super-sized.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20140720/NEWS03/140719845#

The roof lighting will probably be broken after the first winter, but it sounds like an interesting concept for an arena. I'm guessing the purpose is to have those facilities outside the bowl available and open when there are no events going on?

- The idea of a "deconstructed" stadium intrigues me, but I'm skeptical of how a "glass-covered street" will hold up in January. Making an excursion out in single-digit weather to use the restroom or visit concessions doesn't exactly excite me. Sounds great for summer events though..

- I could do without the LED roof (not sure how that could be anything but gaudy), but I do like the "low-rise" nature of the project.

- I think I'm most excited for the plan for the surrounding area and tying Midtown in with the downtown area... Yes, there needs to be a huge focus in the infrastructure of Detroit (especially in the schools and public utilities), but this seems about as big of a vision as anyone has had for Detroit in sometime. I'm not holding my breath that it all pulls through as they claim (the City of Detroit is too involved in the project for that to happen), but some sort of vision is an improvement over no plan at all.

I'm confused... it seems to be smack dab in the middle of downtown, but most of the buildings around it are 2-4 stories?

(Looking at Detroit from the north)

Detroit+aerial.jpg

Now here's the layout according to Comerica Park and Ford Field's location:

V4-140719845.jpg

Rams. IMO,they should move back to Anahiem. Anaheim Rams or LA Rams?

Bills. Planning on building a new stadium but IMO they should move to Canada

Where I want the Bills to go in Canada:

Toronto

Montèral

Alberta

Calgary

Anywhere else in the US

OKC

LA

Austin

San Antoino

The Bills were a flop in Canada. Also, you spelled Montreal wrong.

I like the New Olympia design better than what the Wings chose. Seems kind of fussy, like that new Oilers arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived