Retired Number Banners

rmackman

The Leafs do this better than anyone.

Maple_Leafs_Banner_3.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, their MLG banners (Retired Number & Stanley Cup) were much better.

pjt-leafsstuff-11_24155009-e134992216551

The "retired" numbers would be perfect without the stripe. Don't like the number font that much, though.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I disagree, their MLG banners (Retired Number & Stanley Cup) were much better.

pjt-leafsstuff-11_24155009-e134992216551

The "retired" numbers would be perfect without the stripe. Don't like the number font that much, though.

Those seem a tad askeew

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Irrespective of how the banners themselves look, the Leafs do retired numbers worse than anyone by failing to retire the numbers.

Well, they have actually retired two numbers (5 and 6), the rest are merely "honoured". I do agree with you, once that banner goes up it should be retired, end of story.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Irrespective of how the banners themselves look, the Leafs do retired numbers worse than anyone by failing to retire the numbers.

Well, they have actually retired two numbers (5 and 6), the rest are merely "honoured". I do agree with you, once that banner goes up it should be retired, end of story.

Actually I like the fact that the Leafs honor numbers instead of retiring them. It keeps numbers in rotation so you don't end up with the mess that is the Montreal Canadiens that have very few low numbers left and the team looks like a preseason split squad team with all the high numbers (50+).

Actually I like the fact that the Leafs honor numbers instead of retiring them. It keeps numbers in rotation so you don't end up with the mess that is the Montreal Canadiens that have very few low numbers left and the team looks like a preseason split squad team with all the high numbers (50+).

Then it's essentially a ring of honor, or team HOF. I just think that standards need to be raised for number retirement.

Have the cowboys actually retired a number? Or do they just hold back 8 and 22 each season? I thought 88 would have been with those but I guess not

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Then it's essentially a ring of honor, or team HOF. I just think that standards need to be raised for number retirement.

Have the cowboys actually retired a number? Or do they just hold back 8 and 22 each season? I thought 88 would have been with those but I guess not

Not necessarily on topic but as it relates to 88 in Dallas, it's quite the opposite of retirement. Jerry gives it to the WR whom he thinks is capable of carrying on the lineage of greatness started by Pearson and carried on by Irvin. Since Irvin one (Dez Bryant) has done a better job than the other (Antonio Bryant).

I'm pretty sure the Sabres had mismatching styles of banners for their newer ones, but then went back and redid the new ones to match. Can't find proof, though.

SabresBanners.jpg

No, the Sabres never had a different style ones.

I am curious to see what they do with Hasek, I have a feeling it will be in the blue and gold, but you never know. He did leave Buffalo in a negative way with the Black goathead. so I'm leaning towards blue and gold.

I'm pretty sure the Sabres had mismatching styles of banners for their newer ones, but then went back and redid the new ones to match. Can't find proof, though.

SabresBanners.jpg

No, the Sabres never had a different style ones.

I am curious to see what they do with Hasek, I have a feeling it will be in the blue and gold, but you never know. He did leave Buffalo in a negative way with the Black goathead. so I'm leaning towards blue and gold.

Another thread says you're wrong:

hockee039.jpg

Archived