College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know, BucFan, I'm with you. Having actually been to/on/through ASUs campus many, many times in my life (unlike many of the people ripping the new look), I think it fits the school well for an alternate. Is it their official colors? No. Does it "feel" like ASU? To me, definitely. There's something about the anthracite and copper that reminds me of the newer parts of campus. It'd be a stretch to say that's why it's designed this way, but I do like the look because of it.

Gotta say, Under Armour has done a very nice job with Notre Dame. The only thing they've done wrong is the stripes across the Shamrock Series pants. Adidas should be embarrassed.

UA has done some pretty decent uniforms. Auburn and Toledo and now Notre Dame. Have they produced any turds this year?

Don't forget about Texas Tech as well.

img24092814.jpg

Yes, UA has been pretty good, I'm also partial to Northwestern's unis

Notre Dame's pattern is very nice, good example of a well thought out execution of a pattern

image_zps50e39e93.jpg

image_zps1021204c.jpg

image_zps59ce3caa.jpg

The use of copper is amazing.
Sigh. Goddamnit, Arizona State. WHY DO YOU KEEP TAKING ALL OF MY MONEY?!?!

I was totally content on not getting a jersey this year until I saw that. Now I pretty much have to.

Honestly, the more I see those the more I wanna see ASU ditch the Maroon and Gold For Grey and Copper. It actually fits the school tremendously well and it would be pretty unique.

ASU's colors are the one aspect of their brand I've never been terribly crazy about. They always give out gold shirts for football and hardly anyone ever wears them because it's a downright AWFUL shade of gold. And when you get a black ASU shirt (which a lot of people do) it basically ends up fading to that grey color anyway in a few weeks due to becoming so bleached out by the sun :P

How does dark gray fit the school tremendously well?

That's akin to saying anthracite and black should replace green and gold for Oregon.

Arizona State's colors have been maroon and gold. It's been that way for a really long time, even before you were a student. No reason to ditch it because Nike.

Well, copper mining is basically what built this state, for one thing. Second, there are a million ways Nike could tie in that grey color if need be and make it work. The thing I like about it is that it kind of reminds me of the buttes that the stadium sits in the middle of. Hell, keep the maroon instead of grey for all I care, just use that awesome copper color!

And it's not like ASU hasn't changed colors or even their mascot before. They started out as the Owls, changed to the Normals(!), then went to the Bulldogs before becoming the Sun Devils.

Well gold has been a school color since 1896, then they added maroon in 1898. So it's been a while since they've changed colors.

Anthracite is such a generic "any team" color, and copper isn't that unique to ASU. The Wildcats have used copper helmets for the last few years.

Yeah, and I understand all that. I also know it's never gonna happen. It's just that... Maroon and Gold? Uggh. It's the one thing about ASU's branding that isn't a total win IMO. There are plenty of maroon and gold teams (One of which is also in the PAC 12 South) in college football. The colors just feel so 1970s shag carpet with the way that they fade out so quickly under the sun here. I've always thought that the two AZ schools have terribly generic color schemes. Part of that is age, of course. But both schools have tried to do things to differentiate from every other R/W/B and Red/Yellow team and ASU has done a pretty good job IMO.

I dunno, just my opinion.

BTW, talked to the guy at Cactus Sports and they'll be taking pre orders for these jerseys in the next few weeks. He also said they'll most likely be worn against Notre Dame, not UCLA.

Damn't Dan, that's it give me your student id card

I like the ASU helmets, but like others have said, I could do without the anthracite uniform.

Did Tulane update their helmets with the new uniforms? I hope not.

Chrome logo with number on one side

117tpp5.jpg

i wish they used the blue more, love that color

uspw_6597778.jpg

Thank you. I agree, I would like to see the blue used more in the stripe. Have they always had the number on one side of the helmet? For some reason I was thinking they had the green wave logo on both sides at one time. I like white facemask as well.

As far as Notre Dame's new look. I think UA did a very nice job. I don't mind the Shamrock Series look either. At least they are using school colors for an alternate.

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

College football needs to calm down, in my opinion of course.

Teams with fifteen helmets, reflective numbers…etc, dilute the brand. If I see Nebraska playing Michigan, I want it to look like Nebraska playing Michigan. Not the UA/Nike XBOX generation, zero attention span version of the same thing.

"Well folks, we've got a hot one in the Big House, the Huskers are busting out their new 'bedazzled' uniforms while Michigan counters with something out of the movie TRON we're guessing….."

I'm all for experimenting and being progressive, but in many cases it's not necessary and in more cases then that it's embarrassingly bad. I hated the new Broncos look when it came out, but grew to like it. I can't say the same about the current NFL "upgrades". As many here have posted, it comes across as a Nike statement about Nike, not the NFL. Tampa, Jacksonville and Seattle's new looks are jokes. Miami just looks wrong, too. I don't care how many twelve-year-olds buy it. Sales numbers do not signify brilliant design ideas….they signify really good marketing research.

newsig.jpg

I like the ASU helmets, but like others have said, I could do without the anthracite uniform.

117tpp5.jpg

uspw_6597778.jpg

The second helmet is beauiful, Logo/number treatment and all.

Agreed. The blue popped so well against the Olive and White. And that number on the side of the helmet had a special meaning. All players had the #18 on the side of the helmet in honor of Devon Walker, a former player who was paralyzed in a collision during a game against Tulsa in 2012.

I mentioned this a few pages back, but I'm not sure that many people saw it.

gYH2mW9.png

117tpp5.jpg

uspw_6597778.jpg

Thank you. I agree, I would like to see the blue used more in the stripe. Have they always had the number on one side of the helmet? For some reason I was thinking they had the green wave logo on both sides at one time. I like white facemask as well.

As far as Notre Dame's new look. I think UA did a very nice job. I don't mind the Shamrock Series look either. At least they are using school colors for an alternate.

I think i would liken this helmet change with what the Dolphins did . Taking a secondary color (orange) and diluting it even more with the addition of another color (navy)

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

What's going to be the reaction when Notre wears a gold jersey you know it has be coming in the near future.

Aren't they playing Army in Texas? I'd expect to see something like that happen then. I think Army was the home team for a game played at the Alamodome versus Texas A&M (?)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Has Notre Dame always worn two different pants for home and away? I just remember them being dull for both. These two, however, are different styles.

Zzqu3CKl.jpg

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Has Notre Dame always worn two different pants for home and away? I just remember them being dull for both. These two, however, are different styles.

Zzqu3CKl.jpg

it could be the lighting , the mannequins also look like they are a different color, i believe the one on the left is more accurate

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Yes.

BvaQ-CsCcAA1zi-.png

Interesting. Never caught my eye. Thanks for the pictures. That adds to Under Armour's performance on these. Nice use of restraint and coloring within the lines.

And the Shamrock Series is enough to be out there, but still a good look. Light years better than the 2 color helmet atrocity.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Archived