College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Hooray tire treads!

God, that template looks awful.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question comes down to this:

Do you believe in conference seniority and perhaps nepotism (advantage Wisconsin), or do you believe in historical prowess and on-field achievement (advantage Nebraska) as the criteria for uniform ownership? Or maybe, you're more level headed and realize that two teams can have a similar look without trying to kill each other.

Obviously I'm biased, but consider that Wisconsin's greatest success as a program came from hiring a former Cornhusker to coach their team and then head up their athletic department. I have nothing but respect for Barry Alvarez and what he was able to accomplish. You can't take that away from him. But just as you can't take away his Rose Bowl victories and long streak of wins at UW, you also can't take away his Husker roots as a player being mentored by legends like Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. Sorry, Irrational Badgers, Barry's the same guy and you can't get all choosy about which part(s) of him you want to claim.

Some Wisconsin fans (clearly not ALL) want to claim sole ownership of the Red & White. I think most Nebraska fans would be satisfied if those folks realized that the history of Nebraska football helped birth a lot of what goes on in Madison. That's not to claim that the Cheeseheads are carbon copies of the Cornheads - they have their own traditions and pageantry just like any other unique program - but to act like Alvarez didn't grab inspiration from his days in Lincoln is foolhardy.

Again biased - but if you're going to model yourself after a college football program - you can do a lot worse than Nebraska.

I love all of this self aggrandizement. "Well I clearly don't have a problem with Wisconsin and their fans, but it's just all too clear that they are jealous of Nebraska and our color read."

This is all just asinine. Yes, Barry Alvarez went to Nebraska. No, Barry Alvarez did not model Wisconsin's uniforms after Nebraska's. Do you credit Nebraska's uniforms and use of red and white to Hasting College and their uniforms simply because that's Tom Osborne's alma mater? We also hired Barry Alvarez from Notre Dame and Iowa before that. If we're following your logic, shouldn't we have adopted blue, black, and gold?

And if this is true: "Some Wisconsin fans (clearly not ALL) want to claim sole ownership of the Red & White. I think most Nebraska fans would be satisfied if those folks realized that the history of Nebraska football helped birth a lot of what goes on in Madison."

Then how come Nebraska hasn't changed their helmet decal to a syringe yet?

Thanks for proving my point. Not sure I understand your syringe comment - roid rage, perhaps? Not sure why you felt the need to get self-righteous about it. I really don't care that Wisconsin wears red. Wear gold. Wear black. Go naked for F*** sake, I don't care.

Alvarez openly admits that he built his program on the lessons learned at Nebraska. Stop acting like that's a bad thing. Some (again, not all) UW fans have this chip on their shoulder, like the kid brother who has to constantly earn the approval of the family. Wisconsin is a fantastic program. The point here is that they simply took some things that worked elsewhere and incorporated them into their own success story. EVERY team does that, EVERY coach does that. It's just a little more obvious in the NU-UW case since both teams wear virtually identical uniforms and now play in the same division of the same conference.

I've said what I need to on the matter, but in closing here's ESPN's take on it:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7029768/barry-alvarez-builds-wisconsin-badgers-lessons-learned-nebraska-cornhuskers

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Louisville is now putting the ACC logo on Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to reflect the move to the ACC.

ACC_zps7a5623bd.jpg

I really hate that new ACC logo! But I am glad U of L is making it red and white...I was scared they would go red and black.

spacer.png

Louisville is now putting the ACC logo on Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to reflect the move to the ACC.

ACC_zps7a5623bd.jpg

I really hate that new ACC logo! But I am glad U of L is making it red and white...I was scared they would go red and black.

Agree. Old ACC logo was more bold and understated. This one feels like a FCS or D-III division logo, with its wind-sweptness and angled C-cuts.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

A lot of Akron's old look was kind of a crappy Rams knockoff. But that was still better than these new uniforms. They look like Army.

0.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

The new look is 100% ripoff of Baylor. Previously they had a cluttered version of Adidas' old template. But identity wise they have a lot of great modern logos and a unique custom font to work with. Why they decided to go with a generic font on the new jerseys I have no idea. I do like the Z helmet though.

Army?

Well, Akron did add a tank logo to the back of their jerseys as...hell I don't know, maybe a tasteless shot across Kent State's bow.

Fake Edit: It's to honor an assistant coach who died in a car crash last December.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Posted by Arkansas State's head coach on Twitter. Jerseys are all the same ones that have been worn the past two seasons. The US flag helmet is new. The white helmet was shown last season (sans stripe) but never worn. Red helmet is new and the wolf head logo helmet is as well.

YTgGheL.jpg

I have always loved the large "A" in state. The wolf head logo is sweet as well.

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

Given the city's history, Akron should be playing up the ridiculous tire tread.

I can't think UA has a very lucrative deal with the three stripes. If CaBron really returns to Cleveland, I wouldn't be shocked to see Akron use Nike-money to get out of the deal.

Nike did it at Central Florida when Marcus Jordan acted a bitch and would only wear his daddy's brand.

Archived