Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

I highly doubt "a bugs life" and "its a bucs life" are going to have any conflictions.

Im going to make some speculations about the uniforms. I think the will see the number font being the same as the new wordmark font. I think silver will have a place in each peice, and will carry out a sword theme. We may see pewter pants to match the helmet. The jerseys will be primarily red and white (their alternate will be the throwback). And it will be in the latest Nike template that Oregon showed off a few months ago

Or in other words...near-facsimiles of Rutgers' then-new uniforms from two or three years ago.

And it's funny, because I was actually thinking the same thing.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may have been addressed, but I'm not going through 50+ pages to find it. When the Bucs officials said that there'd be "no dramatic changes to the red and pewter", do you think now they were just referring to color scheme? I know at first a lot of us thought that'd mean minimal uniform change, but I doubt they'd hold a press conference if the change was subtle. How extensive of a change are you all expecting?

I've said before that since the sails on the ship logo are red, that it probably wouldn't be put against a red sleeve, so I'm at least thinking there'd be a change there.

I don't think there's any issue with the slogan "it's a bucs life" sounding like the movie A Bug's Life. The expression is a play on "a pirates life" which to be honest I don't know the exact origins of that phrase or chant, but it's not a play on Bugs life even if it sounds similar.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

This may have been addressed, but I'm not going through 50+ pages to find it. When the Bucs officials said that there'd be "no dramatic changes to the red and pewter", do you think now they were just referring to color scheme? I know at first a lot of us thought that'd mean minimal uniform change, but I doubt they'd hold a press conference if the change was subtle. How extensive of a change are you all expecting?

I've said before that since the sails on the ship logo are red, that it probably wouldn't be put against a red sleeve, so I'm at least thinking there'd be a change there.

Yeah...the moment i saw that, my spider-sense went off. That smacks of a carefully-crafted telling-without-telling statement. I don't think they'll go completely off the grid with it, but rather, more like what BMA said last page...I'm expecting something closer to what Rutgers debuted two or three seasons back. That chromed mask is the big clue to me. You don't do that unless you plan on matching something else in the uniform to that--and since it now appears the Buccaneers are wanting to push this silver (probably to take advantage of the technology that makes chrome looks possible in the first place), I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it added into the uniforms.

IF it's done in the same manner as the orange on the outgoing uniforms, I probably won't mind it too much. However, if they go the Rutgers route with the super-shiny silver numbers and whatnot, that'll be another story.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Just saw the new logo helmet.

Logos are fine. But you can go bigger without exagerating. I think the logos on helmets are too big. They could have gone bigger then the previous if they really wanted to without going that much.

They certainly made onfield camera tests to come with this and concluded it was the way to go but I suppose all tastes are in the nature.

Not sure other team will follow that path, size speaking.

I'm going to save my judgments until I see the whole set and the set on the field. My worries are: the size of the logo and where chrome/silver fits in (or if it's like a shiny gray mask). I was thinking that maybe the flag isn't tattered because of all the vent holes with helmets now. The Bucs mobile app (didn't browse the website or the 50 pages here) says that the new ship WILL be on the jerseys...and to stay tuned to see how. I hope it's not the Jets/Steelers/Jags shoulder patch. There has to be some type of change with the jerseys. You wouldn't roll out the same jersey with a new ship/wordmark and same look. I'm thinking bright silver/chrome numbers like the pro bowl unis. As for concern about the ship being red on a red sleeve...maybe not the greatest design element, but the Falcon is black on a black helmet and the seahawk is blue on a blue helmet. This is just a 3" ship. It will probably have a white outline like the old ship did (even on the white jersey).

KISSwall09.jpg

I'm of the opinion that teams should never feel obligated to have "state colors," whatever those even mean. Florida may be the sunshine state, but that shouldn't limit what colors the Bucs might choose to use. If they wanted to be black and red, fine. In this case, though, I do like the pewter, I feel it's unique within the NFL.

I agree but it's nice when they coincide. The Dolphins for example. Their colors work very well with their mascot, nickname, city, and state.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It's a Bucs life?? What the Hell is that?

A slogan which can trigger a Disney/Pixar lawsuit to protect a movie released in 1998.

Actually, a ride that opened in 1967. And the first movie was released in 2003. And Pixar had nothing to do with it, unless you count ILM doing the effects. And the NFL probably checks these things out... this isn't the NHL here.

I don't think you guys are talking about the same movie.

Right... did not make that connection at all. It's definitely the Pirates thing, since buccaneers are, you know, pirates.

I'm of the opinion that teams should never feel obligated to have "state colors," whatever those even mean. Florida may be the sunshine state, but that shouldn't limit what colors the Bucs might choose to use. If they wanted to be black and red, fine. In this case, though, I do like the pewter, I feel it's unique within the NFL.

I agree but it's nice when they coincide. The Dolphins for example. Their colors work very well with their mascot, nickname, city, and state.

Wonder that the Buccaneers would've looked like had they chosen Florida's other state color, blue, instead of the red...

Why are people always going on about Florida needing bright colors? Are there other states that have color schemes associated with them?

Trust me, coming from a resident of the Tampa Bay area, this is not the stereotypical Florida. When I think of bright colors, I think places like South Florida and maybe Orlando to a point. Dont get me wrong, Clearwater & Pinellas County have the beaches, but a good majority of the area is more of that "natural" Florida. Hell, where I live just north of Tarpon Springs in Pasco County, our beach is not what you think of when you think Florida.

The brighter colors may have worked in the past, but lets leave them in history and own the red and pewter.

I lived on the oddly named Crimson King Trace in Tarpon Springs for two years back in the late '80s. Loved it there. We took my daughters to Howard Park all the time. Go Spongers!

spongers150x120.png

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I don't think there's any issue with the slogan "it's a bucs life" sounding like the movie A Bug's Life. The expression is a play on "a pirates life" which to be honest I don't know the exact origins of that phrase or chant, but it's not a play on Bugs life even if it sounds similar.

Like what was said earlier, it's a play on the song A Pirate's Life for Me. Which was written for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.

IbjBaeE.png

The Bucs mobile app (didn't browse the website or the 50 pages here) says that the new ship WILL be on the jerseys...and to stay tuned to see how.

Is this what you're talking about?

The Buccaneers dramatic new ship logo will remain a part of the team's uniforms in 2014 and beyond. To find out how it is featured in the new ensemble, watch the full uniform unveiling on Buccaneers.com on March 5.

Wonder that the Buccaneers would've looked like had they chosen Florida's other state color, blue, instead of the red...

3306677_G.jpg

Just saw the new logo helmet.

Logos are fine. But you can go bigger without exagerating. I think the logos on helmets are too big. They could have gone bigger then the previous if they really wanted to without going that much.

They certainly made onfield camera tests to come with this and concluded it was the way to go but I suppose all tastes are in the nature.

Not sure other team will follow that path, size speaking.

I posted a link in post #1027 of this thread to the post where this was first shown. It shows that the logo could have been made larger without looking ridiculous. Did anyone ever say what the story was behind these helmets? The picture was first posted here last April but apparently these never saw the field.

422026_10151637457254595_845304899_n.jpg

3306677_G.jpg

WOW! That looks absolutely atrocious. So glad they came to their senses.

I too am baffled regarding certain colors having to be used for certain cities or mascots or whatever. If it works then it works; who cares where the team is from or what they are called. That being said, I've never thought that the creamsicle colors ever really worked regardless of the team name or where they were from. The logo was even worse. It was just a terrible identity for a football team. I might be part of the minority but I've always despised that look and think that the red and pewter have always been the best and most appropriate choice. Glad to see them stick with what works.

Nice three-fer here with all the Bucs' helmets:

Bg9uXeMCMAAxHYV.jpg

My issue with the new pirate ship, which is otherwise a nice upgrade, is the bow wave. It looks more like decorative scrollwork and nothing like a bow wave at all.

With such cool subject matter, the Bucs sure miss the boat a lot. Skull on flag, simply too much going on. Would rather the helmet BE the flag, red with wavy shading, whatever, and have the skull on the side.

Bottom line, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Noticable notes on the above photo with all three helmets featured in the same constant lighting.

New helmet color of pewter is "lighter" mostly silverish looking compared the the goldish color of old pewter helmet.

Facemask of chrome nearly matches color of new pewter.

Red flag logo color is brighter red than old.

Football on logo is the creamsicle orange of original buccaneers as opposed the the darker orange football on old logo.

Look for silver to be used on new uniforms as a secondary or trim color, maybe even pant color.

Would not be surprised if, since the throwback uniforms of bucs can't be used anymore due to helmet color, that an alternate florida orange jersey is introduced.

Larger logo reminds me of Texans large logo that fills entire side of helmet. Many expansion teams in the 60s-70s era used extra large logos on their helmets so they could be seen from the stands better.

With the pirate ship fixture in Tampa's stadium, don't they pretty much have to keep the jolly roger branding as long as they play there? When they've done the creamsicle throwbacks, that pirate ship stands out like a sore thumb.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived