OPRAH WANTS TO BUY CLIPPERS(AAAUUGGGHHH)

Los Angeles Sparks in trouble, need owner badly...Oprah's nowhere to be found. LA Clippers go up for sale...suddenly her name pops up.

Ugh. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Why? One is a proven money maker in an ever more valuable league... the other is a money loser in a league that's very existence is questionable every off season. Oprah isn't stupid, and she already spent a boatload of charity money on all those cars.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Los Angeles Sparks in trouble, need owner badly...Oprah's nowhere to be found. LA Clippers go up for sale...suddenly her name pops up.

Why? One is a proven money maker in an ever more valuable league... the other is a money loser in a league that's very existence is questionable every off season. Oprah isn't stupid, and she already spent a boatload of charity money on all those cars.

You clearly don't get it. Oprah's a woman, so she's obligated to buy the women's team. Why should a FEMALE be allowed to stroll right in to a man's world and buy a team?

You clearly don't get it. Oprah's a woman, so she's obligated to buy the women's team. Why should a FEMALE be allowed to stroll right in to a man's world and buy a team?

Nah, that's not it, man. It's not a matter of obligation, or sexism, or any of that. It just struck me as strange. I was following the Sparks story when it hit, and there wasn't a soul interested. Word is Magic only bought the team because the WNBA begged him. That franchise was in dire need of help for about a month, and no one was there. Now suddenly the Clippers are up for sale, and everybody's swooping in to grab some positive press. It just makes me sad that people who could really make a difference don't even try sometimes. Does everything have to be a black & "white knight" situation?

Meh, I probably feel this way because I'm a WNBA fan lol.

Ah. So you're the one.
Eh?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Nah, that's not it, man. It's not a matter of obligation, or sexism, or any of that. It just struck me as strange. I was following the Sparks story when it hit, and there wasn't a soul interested. Word is Magic only bought the team because the WNBA begged him. That franchise was in dire need of help for about a month, and no one was there. Now suddenly the Clippers are up for sale, and everybody's swooping in to grab some positive press. It just makes me sad that people who could really make a difference don't even try sometimes. Does everything have to be a black & "white knight" situation?

If I was Oprah I would buy the Clippers in a heart beat over the Sparks for a couple of reasons.

1) Buying the Clippers would make more of an impact than buying the Sparks because a lot more care about the NBA than the WNBA. If Oprah bought the Sparks it would make minor news for a day or so and then people would forget about it. If Oprah buys the Clippers that would be a major source of conversation because of how much people have grown the care about the Clippers story.

2) An NBA franchise is a much better investment than a WNBA franchise. The WNBA is a league that is constantly on life support with very little popularity in the US while the NBA is much more financially stable and popular.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

NBA teams make money.

WNBA teams' sole purpose is to be a tax writeoff for ownership.

Yeah, why would you want to go for one and not the other?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nope, the last thing we need is a racist jackass owning the Clips.

I'd embrace an NBA team owned by Oprah, cause you know she would put herself on the logo.

Contradictory much? Reverse racism is still racism.

sometimes reading the opening post is a lost art on this boards.

Translated Title:

A SUCCESSFUL BLACK WOMAN WANTS TO BUY A SPORTS TEAM

Don't be so closed minded. If Oprah wants to have ownership of the Clippers, she can do it. And besides, she wouldn't run the team, just be an investor.

Close minded because he doesn't like Oprah? I guess it's that hidden racism I can never seem to uncover.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've already crossed the racial and political lines in this forum. Now we've officially crossed the sexism line with this one!

Congratulations.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've already crossed the racial and political lines in this forum. Now we've officially crossed the sexism line with this one!

Congratulations.

It wasn't the best sarcasm, but it was still sarcasm.

Xsist, it doesn't have to be a woman to own a WNBA team, and it doesn't have to be a man to own a NBA team. I'd be surpised if Oprah really cared that much about the Sparks anyway, given the WNBA's popularity.

So lost in all of this is the fact that Oprah won't be a majority owner if this group does buy the Clippers. So all of this hand wringing over Oprah buying the team (and what would be the problem if she was the primary owner, again?) is for nought.

I'd embrace an NBA team owned by Oprah, cause you know she would put herself on the logo.

Nothing about anything here has to do with reverse racism.

So lost in all of this is the fact that Oprah won't be a majority owner if this group does buy the Clippers. So all of this hand wringing over Oprah buying the team (and what would be the problem if she was the primary owner, again?) is for nought.

Nothing about anything here has to do with reverse racism.

Don't you think she'd still be the face of the ownership group, though? I mean, Magic Johnson owns about 2.3% of the Dodgers and when I think of the team's ownership, he's the one that comes to mind. I guess that's just me, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

She probably would be, but if you're worried about Oprah owning a team you're probably worried that she would mismanage them in some way. Well she probably won't be making key personnel decisions if she's a minor partner.

Magic Johnson owns about 2.3% of the Dodgers and when I think of the team's ownership, he's the one that comes to mind. I guess that's just me, though.

Oh, see, I think of the secretive investment bank so monolithic as to make Bain Capital look like a lemonade stand. But that's just me! Magic Johnson is a friend to all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You think she'd want to lose a bunch of money? The Clippers make a profit, the Sparks run on a deficit.

I love this thread.

I think this is a record for % of stupid posts in a thread. Justus Christ. Reverse racism? She didn't buy the sparks? Anything soriandude posts? The title of the thread? Stupid, stupid, stupid, and stupid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love this thread.

I think this is a record for % of stupid posts in a thread. Justus Christ. Reverse racism? She didn't buy the sparks? Anything soriandude posts? The title of the thread? Stupid, stupid, stupid, and stupid.

And alas, the last needed comment to make this thread complete. An unneeded personal jab from BringBackTheVet at me because I don't agree with his "racism lurks in every shadow" ideology.

I love this thread.

Is it just me, or do the basketball threads bring out the stupid in people on here?

Archived