NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

The. Falcons I don't mind, as they have a more modern looking template.

Ah, and here it is. This is just a case of the modern only crowd getting angry that the Packers and Raiders refuse to adopt Nike's kewl, slick uniform template. The Falcons? They can keep the old cut because they still have a kewl, slick design.

Not all of us gush over the imagined innovations Nike and others stick in their press releases.

Forgot it

Riviting contribution.

I'm just sick of these insistent "modern or bust" posters who can't make a point of theirs without being insulting. It's always "people who like traditional looks only do so because nostalgia" or "traditional=boring lol" posts.

No matter how many times these claims are proven to be false or shown to be rude people who cheerlead Nike and anything else deemed "modern" here still make them over and over again.

And then when they're shown that not every assumption they make about traditional looks and the people who like them are right? They just go "whatever" and leave. Like you just did.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with Kelly green as long as the uniform looks good. I just don't want to see them mess up a good thing just because.

Neither you nor anyone else has presented any evidence that the fan base is calling for a change. My experience, from knowing lots of fans, from being one, and from working inside the seating bowl of the stadium for 10 seasons is that if pressed on the matter sure - they'll offer an opinion, but there is no outcry or grass roots movement for a change. I don't think your average fan cares one bit as long as the team is winning.

Maybe the majority of the fans do want a change - that's cool, and like I said I'd be cool with it. I grew up with Kelly green after all. I just haven't seen anything that makes me think that's the case.

I'm in the same boat as you in terms of my years as a fan. But things like this definitely do pop up:

http://www.change.org/petitions/jeffrey-lurie-reinstate-kelly-green-as-the-official-color-of-the-philadelphia-eagles

Ah, and here it is. This is just a case of the modern only crowd getting angry that the Packers and Raiders refuse to adopt Nike's kewl, slick uniform template. The Falcons? They can keep the old cut because they still have a kewl, slick design.

Not all of us gush over the imagined innovations Nike and others stick in their press releases.

Forgot it

Riviting contribution.

I'm just sick of these insistent "modern or bust" posters who can't make a point of theirs without being insulting. It's always "people who like traditional looks only do so because nostalgia" or "traditional=boring lol" posts.

No matter how many times these claims are proven to be false or shown to be rude people who cheerlead Nike and anything else deemed "modern" here still make them over and over again.

And then when they're shown that not every assumption they make about traditional looks and the people who like them are right? They just go "whatever" and leave. Like you just did.

You sure are assuming a lot I was about to make a point but I didn't feel like it had enough validity so edited it and wrote forget it, well "forgot it" but that was a typo.

Forgot it

Riviting contribution.

Cool it gramps, I'm only referring to their template not the design of the uniform. It isn't over dazzly like the aforementioned teams and it doesn't have weird fitting sleeves and huge mesh holes with widely stretched numbers.

Magnificent! Amazing contrast. I really like the Bucs' new white uniform.

c4s_2martin081714_13689170_8col.jpg

Good Lord, that's horrific. And just to make an absolutely garbage uniform even worse, the switch to pewter socks? Seriously? Pewter socks on pewter pants?

I think I just threw up a little.

mike-glennon-nfl-preseason-tampa-bay-buc

The other socks aren't an improvement either...the thigh striping bleeds into the socks.

Forgot it

Riviting contribution.

Cool it gramps
That's adorable. It also proves my point. Thanks.

I'm only referring to their template not the design of the uniform. It isn't over dazzly like the aforementioned teams and it doesn't have weird fitting sleeves and huge mesh holes with widely stretched numbers.

You're kidding yourself if you think the numbers on the Packers and Raiders' uniforms are all distorted/stretched.

I'd rather have stretched numbers on a few linemen then have Nike sweat boxes and mismatched shades of green anyway.

As long as the team looks good, it shouldn't matter what template they employ.

Also, how can the Bears have 3 good looking sleeve stripes in the new template but the 49ers can't? Has the organization said anything about this?

Midway.png

Also, how can the Bears have 3 good looking sleeve stripes in the new template but the 49ers can't? Has the organization said anything about this?

We discussed this a few pages back. The 49ers intentionally do that with their stripes. Either Reebok or someone in the front office came up with that ludicrous idea, and the team ran with it. They decided to keep the sleeves the same with the switch to Nike. Nike could easily move the stripes up to give the Niners three stripes, but the Niners apparently think it looks good.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

We discussed this a few pages back. The 49ers intentionally do that with their stripes. Either Reebok or someone in the front office came up with that ludicrous idea, and the team ran with it. They decided to keep the sleeves the same with the switch to Nike. Nike could easily move the stripes up to give the Niners three stripes, but the Niners apparently think it looks good.

From what I remember from looking at graphics, the theory was actually sound - since the sleeves are more like "cap" sleeves and the arm holes extend at a diagonal, then doing the stripes like they do would actually keep them level as opposed to also on a diagonal (obviously the arm hole would obstruct them, but what little you could see would be level.)

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way on an actual jersey on an actual person.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From what I remember from looking at graphics, the theory was actually sound - since the sleeves are more like "cap" sleeves and the arm holes extend at a diagonal, then doing the stripes like they do would actually keep them level as opposed to also on a diagonal (obviously the arm hole would obstruct them, but what little you could see would be level.)

True enough, but from what I remember, it wasn't just a desire on the 49ers part to keep the stripes more horizontal than other teams, but also to have a bit more open space between the top stripe and the shoulders. That's part of why they've been pushed down so low.

I agree it's not working. And it looks even more stupid on the replicas. Obviously, when the 9ers elected to go with the new nike template they should've rethought the whole concept.

As a uniform enthusiast, the Packers uniforms really bug me. There's no consistency between players in the cut of the uniform, the numbers get scrunched up, and the collars look like crap. A switch to the Elite 51 with a normal collar like the Pats and Bills would really help their look.

The Jets and Packers share the same shade of green. Yet there's, what, three shades of green on the Jets' Elite 51 template? It's a proven fact that Nike cannot replicate the Packers' shade of green on the materials they use for the Elite 51 jerseys. So you think they look sloppy now? Wait until they switch to Nike's template and there's three shades of green across each jersey because Nike sucks at replicating forest green.

The jets do not have three shades of green. Unfortunately the nike template uses three different textile types for base panels, mesh sections and inserts (if applicable). What causes the drastic distortion is how each material reflects in the light and when the fabric gets wet (sweat typically). The problem is that dark green emphasizes these characteristics/flaws of dri fit more than any other color in the nike palette. Yes it looks horrible but there simply are not 3 shades of green in the jets jersey. It's a single shade of green that simply does not maintain it's integrity when applied to a sports uniform.

I'm only referring to their template not the design of the uniform. It isn't over dazzly like the aforementioned teams and it doesn't have weird fitting sleeves and huge mesh holes with widely stretched numbers.

You're kidding yourself if you think the numbers on the Packers and Raiders' uniforms are all distorted/stretched.

I'd rather have stretched numbers on a few linemen then have Nike sweat boxes and mismatched shades of green anyway.

Nobody's kidding anybody, just stating facts

hi-res-6681310_crop_north.jpgTyvon-Branch-Richard-Seymour-Miles-Burriimg004-big.jpg

1381128753000-USP-NFL-San-Diego-Chargers

For a mod that loves to let people know he's a mod, you sure are acting immature and foolish.

True enough, but from what I remember, it wasn't just a desire on the 49ers part to keep the stripes more horizontal than other teams, but also to have a bit more open space between the top stripe and the shoulders. That's part of why they've been pushed down so low.

I agree it's not working. And it looks even more stupid on the replicas. Obviously, when the 9ers elected to go with the new nike template they should've rethought the whole concept.

Yeah there was some terribly misguided logic in attempting to address the issue of traditional stripes being mangled on their gamers. Being exposed to several decades of 9ers games since at least the mid 80's players, especially lineman have messed with their sleeve stripes. Frequently you'd see the o-line essentially wearing stripeless jerseys. I also vividly remembering Steve young having wearing one or no stripes.

Nobody's kidding anybody, just stating facts

hi-res-6681310_crop_north.jpgTyvon-Branch-Richard-Seymour-Miles-Burriimg004-big.jpg

1381128753000-USP-NFL-San-Diego-Chargers

For a mod that loves to let people know he's a mod, you sure are acting immature and foolish.

This was my point exactly.

Those jerseys look really uncomfortable as well, I know that mesh isn't made to stretch much.

Also can someone explain why older designs had/have the widened numbers on the sleeves? I never really understood the purpose.

What is the material they use for the Eagles practice jerseys? Do you think these new green jerseys Nike is struggling to make may look like this shade?

72714_shady_600.JPG

Thats the reebok/ripon era material

To add some additional clarity I'm pretty sure that ripon has been the sole manufacturer of the eagles midnight green since '97 so that likely explains why the color has maintained its integrity over the years. Also the fabric (dazzle/poly/nylon) remained consistent. Nike is having issues because they can't produce a suitable green in their proprietary fabric.

Archived