NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

You're forgetting the hideous sweatboxes. Not even black will hide that, and they're certainly visible on the white.

Plus he got you on the cut-off pants stripes. You wanted one, that's a doozy. And the fact that Nike doesn't handle metallics particularly well, which is why the Cowboys don't use the Elite 51 pants.

Sweat boxes visible on black and white jerseys?

I have never seen that before

Ip7dix.jpg

What am I missing here?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Because I've not seen a single one...but literally nothing changes on the Raiders. You can't even argue the pants stripe would change, because the Raiders already have a narrow pant stripe.

The pants stripe would get cut off at the hip.

The collars would still be huge, even if they're kept the same colour as the rest of the jersey. They'd be even more visible give the prominence of flywire.

The sweat box problem. It would still show up on the black jerseys and would be very visible on the whites.

Nike's problem replicating metallic sheen with their fabrics. The Raiders' pants would likely go from silver to flat grey if they switched to Nike's Elite 51 template.

I'd rather put up with a few stretched numbers on a few linemen then deal with all of that.

No one wants them to change pants. The only change they need to make is to the jerseys themselves.

I don't think that anyone is doubting that it's incredibly hard to match certain colors across different materials - especially different fabrics. The thing is... they don't have to match them across so many incredibly different materials. They're choosing to give themselves a problem that they can't solve. That's the problem here - you don't create a situation for yourself, fail, and then say that it wasn't fair because the odds were stacked against you. They created the situation themselves when there was no need for it. It should be Nike's job to meet the team's specs, not the teams' to adapt to Nike's. If Nike's latest template doesn't cut it, then they just need to make another one - or keep the old one. What the Eagles have done is a disgrace - and hopefully not a sign that the balance of power has completely shifted to the supplier.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You're forgetting the hideous sweatboxes. Not even black will hide that, and they're certainly visible on the white.

Plus he got you on the cut-off pants stripes. You wanted one, that's a doozy. And the fact that Nike doesn't handle metallics particularly well, which is why the Cowboys don't use the Elite 51 pants.

Ip7dix.jpg

What am I missing here?

temp2013_WAS_0819_0895--nfl_mezz_1280_10

temp2013_WAS_0819_1637--nfl_mezz_1280_10

temp2013_vsBaltimore_0004--nfl_mezz_1280

The sweat boxes don't show up as prominently on black and white then they do on other colours. They're still visible though.

Also keep in mind the Raiders wear silver pants. And as far as Nike goes with silver football pants?

g6EKOjpg_zps372e91a0.png

I don't think that anyone is doubting that it's incredibly hard to match certain colors across different materials - especially different fabrics. The thing is... they don't have to match them across so many incredibly different materials. They're choosing to give themselves a problem that they can't solve. That's the problem here - you don't create a situation for yourself, fail, and then say that it wasn't fair because the odds were stacked against you. They created the situation themselves when there was no need for it. It should be Nike's job to meet the team's specs, not the teams' to adapt to Nike's. If Nike's latest template doesn't cut it, then they just need to make another one - or keep the old one. What the Eagles have done is a disgrace - and hopefully not a sign that the balance of power has completely shifted to the supplier.

I have to think the eagles would sign off after a physical production sample is reviewed. Given their reluctance to adopt to the nike template the issue does not make much sense. The only thing that I can think of is that a few samples were produced using a custom color and the supplier can't produce it on a larger scale due to dye availability. It's not common but there are a some fabric dyes that are naturally sourced/harvested and the color they produce changes slightly over time. Another possibility is that the color did not hold up well after laundering. Nike has had this problem a few times.

Ip7dix.jpg

What am I missing here?

Also keep in mind the Raiders wear silver pants. And as far as Nike goes with silver football pants?

g6EKOjpg_zps372e91a0.png

LOL! But he's .00023% quicker on the snap of the football than he is with pants that cover his jock strap!

For a mod that loves to let people know he's a mod, you sure are acting immature and foolish.

I'm acting immature and foolish for disagreeing with you? The guy who agrees with you threw out the "gramps" insult instead of trying to actually make a point.

And you're the first one to bring the mod thing into this. Fact is being a mod doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have, and state, my opinions here ;)

Your "opinion" was that "You're kidding yourself if you think the numbers on the Packers and Raiders' uniforms are all distorted/stretched." Okay, not every player has stretched numbers, but no one was arguing that. However, it extends beyond "a few linemen" -- the pictures I posted showed them on a linebacker and DB as well. It's definitely a problem in consistency and it looks sloppy.

You also massively misinterpreted shaydre's point about the Falcons and were pretty harsh in doing so.

As far as the mod point, I just expect better from you guys than the average poster. You're free to disagree with people's opinions, but don't be snarky about it and make sure you have your facts straight.

This thread has gone downhill fast and has reached what I believe to be rock bottom. Seriously, I think I just read through 3 pages talking about the Raiders.

Let's review (there are links embedded in this post)-

-No, the Raiders would not have to have matte gray pants, as shown by the Cowboys and Bucs (old) metallic pants.

-Yes, the Raiders' current numbers do get awfully stretched out (see above, no photos needed).

-No, the pants stripe would not get cut off 3/4 of the way up the leg like that mock up, considering 90% of the league has full stripes.

-Yes, there may or may not be a bit of a "sweatbox," however we are discussing the colors (or lack thereof...however you choose to interpret that) of black and silver, which will not distort into other vastly different variations of said colors...considering they are black and silver. They are the absence of color. It's not like their current uniforms don't utilize mesh side inserts and create the same issue. I mean, it's either black....or darker black?

-Yes, Nike provides classic cut collars and uses them for various teams in the league.

-Yes, the Raider's look is ultimately up to the team, and kudos to the Raiders for sticking to their guns and picking what they feel best represents them.

-However, a change to the template would neither impact their look positively or negatively...because it is the most simplistic of all uniforms....for all it consists of are the colors BLACK and SILVER. There is a single stripe and block numbers. We are talking about stitching upon a garment here, people. Their uniform would look virtually the same with Nike, adidas, Under Armour, Russell Athletic, New Balance, Puma, etc. We are discussing the STITCHING upon the Raiders uniforms, upon which there is no detail whatsoever!

Carry on.

Really? Because I've not seen a single one...but literally nothing changes on the Raiders. You can't even argue the pants stripe would change, because the Raiders already have a narrow pant stripe.

The pants stripe would get cut off at the hip.

The collars would still be huge, even if they're kept the same colour as the rest of the jersey. They'd be even more visible give the prominence of flywire.

The sweat box problem. It would still show up on the black jerseys and would be very visible on the whites.

Nike's problem replicating metallic sheen with their fabrics. The Raiders' pants would likely go from silver to flat grey if they switched to Nike's Elite 51 template.

I'd rather put up with a few stretched numbers on a few linemen then deal with all of that.

No one wants them to change pants. The only change they need to make is to the jerseys themselves.

Need? No, not need.

A lot of teams use local mom-and-pop places for customization. He's saying the Raiders use(d) a small local place to actually produce the jerseys, which has been a rarity for some time.

Depends if you consider Ripon in rural Wisconsin as a "small local place". It's small enough, and produced almost all on-field NFL jerseys until about ten years ago.

Numbering, alterations and repairs are typically handled locally. Teams have done this for decades and do so for quick turnaround/not having to deal with shipping.

I'm not talking about numbering, alterations or repairs. I'm talking about the manufacture of the actual jerseys themselves.

Until about a decade ago, most teams got theirs from a little mom-and-pop shop in Ripon, Wisconsin. The Packers still do, and I believe the Eagles did until this past year. That small shop cut the fabric, sewed it together and embroidered the Reebok logo on every sleeve.

The jerseys that players wore on the field didn't come from the same factory as anything sold in a shop. Not even close. If that's changed, it's another Nike "innovation".

I hope for the teams that make drastic changes in the future they don't all end up moving their woodmarks from below the collar to the left chest/shoulder area like the Seahawks, Jaguars, and Buccaneers have done. They should have stopped at the Seahawks with that.

A lot of teams use local mom-and-pop places for customization. He's saying the Raiders use(d) a small local place to actually produce the jerseys, which has been a rarity for some time.

Depends if you consider Ripon in rural Wisconsin as a "small local place". It's small enough, and produced almost all on-field NFL jerseys until about ten years ago.

Numbering, alterations and repairs are typically handled locally. Teams have done this for decades and do so for quick turnaround/not having to deal with shipping.

I'm not talking about numbering, alterations or repairs. I'm talking about the manufacture of the actual jerseys themselves.

Until about a decade ago, most teams got theirs from a little mom-and-pop shop in Ripon, Wisconsin. The Packers still do, and I believe the Eagles did until this past year. That small shop cut the fabric, sewed it together and embroidered the Reebok logo on every sleeve.

The jerseys that players wore on the field didn't come from the same factory as anything sold in a shop. Not even close. If that's changed, it's another Nike "innovation".

I was clarifying the entire process for as ripon did not produce 100% completed product as your statement was incomplete. They were produced by ripon, shipped to the teams and finished locally. Before that there were a myriad of smaller companies that were used as teams sourced their uniforms indivudally. Currently the nike elite product is produced by Powers with the exceptions/holdovers being noted. The local companies continue to serve their purpose to get the product game ready.

Everybody should already knows that fan merchandise (including authentics) is produced overseas by different contractors. It's been mentioned on this board too many times to count.

Archived