NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

It's time for the Raiders to embrace the elite 51 template. Their numbers looked worse than highschool practice jerseys for much of the game last night, the way they kept getting bunched up, especially on Greg Little.

I don't understand what is preventing them from making the change. The new template would not impact their look in the slightest. We've even seen they can provide the old metallic pants style (Cowboys, Bucs).

Nothing is preventing them from making the change. Like the other handful of teams sticking to the old template, they obviously feel it looks better.

This season, the Eagles have decided to make the change... how's that working out for them, so far?

Yeah. Switch to Nike and lose their primary jerseys. Good move Eagles.

So to you Nike Swooshketeers out there pushing for the Raiders, Packers, etc... to change to Nike's template. Why? Is your devotion to a shoe company so strong that you take the Raiders' refusal to use their Moisture Wicking template as an affront to all you consider good in football?

The Raiders, Packers, Falcons, and Panthers obviously feel like the Nike template isn't an improvement. Why is it such a huge deal to you all that they think that? Is it a secret desire to see these teams go down the path the Bucs and Jags did? To see the Raiders with sword graphics as pants stripes and the Packers with cheese textured helmets? If so I'm glad Nike is telling them to keep their distance.

Did Nike murder your family or something? Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen someone so salty towards a clothes company.

Way to miss the point entirely.

Why is it such a big deal to some that the Raiders, Falcons, Packers, and Panthers have decided to not use Nike's template. The way some talk about it you'd swear that by shunning Nike the Packers had just murdered a baby at the 50 yard line.

it seems the opposite to me, the people who want them to switch the Elite 51 template just want them to have to most up to date template there is and honestly the old templates look like just that old. you seem to be the one who has something against Nike and feel they have ruined every uniform that went to the new template when in reality there really isn't that much of a difference aesthetically outside of panels in areas. the Nike template fits better and looks better to me anyways

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems the opposite to me, the people who want them to switch the Elite 51 template just want them to have to most up to date template there is and honestly the old templates look like just that old.

I don't see the problem with them. I don't look at the Packers or Raiders and go "oh wow, look how out of date they look without sweat boxes and giant collars."

you seem to be the one who has something against Nike and feel they have ruined every uniform that went to the new template when in reality there really isn't that much of a difference aesthetically outside of panels in areas. the Nike template fits better and looks better to me anyways

I do have something against Nike, actually! I'm a fan of uniform design, and I see Nike at the forefront of the change where manufacturers stopped making uniforms to promote teams and started making uniforms to promote themselves. Would the Raiders really look that much different in the Nike template? Nah, but you know what? It's nice to see a team or two hear Nike's spiel about how how their uniforms make players 0.0023% lighter or whatever and say "thanks but not thanks." Gives me hope that as time goes on more teams will keep Nike on a shorter leash. They do good work when they're not given permission to go wild.

And again, why is that all such a bad thing? Nike fanboys post stuff like "the Packers have to go to the Nike template!" and I'm just going "why?" The cut of the jerseys won't be the difference in any game. They look fine as is. The only reason I can come up with is that those Nike fans are so dedicated to this company that they take the Packers, Raiders, Panthers, and Falcons' refusal to use their template as an insult.

My dad, my 45 year old dad, said the new Bucs uniforms are awesome... he's seen every uniform they've worn... how should I respond?

I think he might be right

you also think the current uniforms for the lightning are good too...

yes i do, smart guy

Reflecting!!!!

BvM1PwjIEAECI5F.jpg

I don't think I'd mind the glow so much if what it was highlighting was actually worth looking at...on another note, I wonder if this "highlighted numbers effect" is going to be a thing. The rumors of the Browns using more grey worry me in that regard.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Added insight on the Eagles' midnight green-Nike saga.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/08/a-huge-little-issue-more-on-nikes-green-jersey-snafu.html

As frustrating as the posts in here can be, the comments at the end of what I thought was a good piece ... Just wow.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

As a uniform enthusiast, the Packers uniforms really bug me. There's no consistency between players in the cut of the uniform, the numbers get scrunched up, and the collars look like crap. A switch to the Elite 51 with a normal collar like the Pats and Bills would really help their look.

However, as a Bears fan, I really like how sloppy their uniforms look :)

Added insight on the Eagles' midnight green-Nike saga.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/08/a-huge-little-issue-more-on-nikes-green-jersey-snafu.html

As frustrating as the posts in here can be, the comments at the end of what I thought was a good piece ... Just wow.

That was an excellent article, especially pointing out how Nike is introducing as many proprietary things as they can to ensure that they'll either have to keep the contract or teams will have to license the tech from them.

I get it - it's good business. But as supposed fans of uniform design and history, it's horrible. Nike certainly isn't alone, but as pointed out, they're definitely at the forefront.

Edit - the comments just serve to make my point that very few people care about what their team is wearing. There aren't people up in arms about the eagles wearing midnight instead of Kelly green. By in large, nobody outside of here cares.

eagles might be changing, as well as a unknown classical team

within the next three to four years it will be at least three teams changing...

2015: Browns (known)

2016(?): Eagles (maybe)

2016 or 2017: Rams (most likely)

Stop that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a uniform enthusiast, the Packers uniforms really bug me. There's no consistency between players in the cut of the uniform, the numbers get scrunched up, and the collars look like crap. A switch to the Elite 51 with a normal collar like the Pats and Bills would really help their look.

However, as a Bears fan, I really like how sloppy their uniforms look :)

Yeah I agree. I for one really just dislike dazzle fabric on any sports uniforms. I feel like that's a very dated trend. I strongly prefer the matte look on jerseys. And like you mentioned as much as some anti Nike people like to go "they're perfect! Absolutely nothing wrong with a a good old fashioned jersey! We don't need .012% lighter and to look KEWL!" There is a lot of inconsistency in the collars. I know a lot of players have the collar so altered that the bottom doesn't even connect and the nfl shield has to go on green material. As for the raiders, I PERSONALLY, think that the Nike jersey cuts are a lot better than those really old cuts, and I feel like the numbers look nicer as well. The. Falcons I don't mind, as they have a more modern looking template.

Watching last evening's Dolphins vs. Buccaneers preseason game just reminds me of when they both used to look great.

GaryClarkvsTampa_zps455726c7.jpg

DolphinsBuccaneersFootball_7_5024202_ver

453711116.0_standard_709.0.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'm speechless. Those were the days, weren't they?

The Dolphins uniforms were nice, but I certainly don't miss that logo. That thing had no business existing in the 90s.

ghw9piy78pmfzhquwxdnuxzoh.gif

I'm speechless. Those were the days, weren't they?

The Dolphins uniforms were nice, but I certainly don't miss that logo. That thing had no business existing in the 90s.

ghw9piy78pmfzhquwxdnuxzoh.gif

I'd concur with that statement as well. The Dolphin-with-helmet needs to be fixed...but not scrapped.

I'm usually not in favor of things like this, but can we have a ban on posting pics of the Bucs uniforms? They're that bad that I actually find them offensive to look at. Jags helmets too please.

Thanks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BringBackTheVet: Edit - the comments just serve to make my point that very few people care about what their team is wearing. There aren't people up in arms about the eagles wearing midnight instead of Kelly green. By in large, nobody outside of here cares.

Crossing Broad is a fun site, but their comments section is a bunch of morons tbh. They're mainly complaining about how the article is about a small uniform intricacy, and that they don't care about the politics of uniforms. Whereas in this community, we care very much for those things.

I'm not sure I understand your overall stance on the Eagles' situation. You are obviously a fan of the midnight green, which is fine. But then when I or anyone elses' evidence suggests that most of the fanbase wants to switch you get very defensive. No one is saying you can't have your opinions or tastes, but the preference to switch back to Kelly Green has picked up more and more steam ever since the team changed it in the first place. That's just the way it is.

I have no problem with Kelly green as long as the uniform looks good. I just don't want to see them mess up a good thing just because.

Neither you nor anyone else has presented any evidence that the fan base is calling for a change. My experience, from knowing lots of fans, from being one, and from working inside the seating bowl of the stadium for 10 seasons is that if pressed on the matter sure - they'll offer an opinion, but there is no outcry or grass roots movement for a change. I don't think your average fan cares one bit as long as the team is winning.

Maybe the majority of the fans do want a change - that's cool, and like I said I'd be cool with it. I grew up with Kelly green after all. I just haven't seen anything that makes me think that's the case.

The Jets and Packers share the same shade of green. Yet there's, what, three shades of green on the Jets' Elite 51 template? It's a proven fact that Nike cannot replicate the Packers' shade of green on the materials they use for the Elite 51 jerseys. So you think they look sloppy now? Wait until they switch to Nike's template and there's three shades of green across each jersey because Nike sucks at replicating forest green.

Archived