NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New SI. Now I'm confused. Looks like a Nike logo to me....

BwDA_ONIQAAK6HG.jpg

If you can compare the Eagles jersey (assuming that's what you're talking about) to the Cowboys jersey next to it, you'll see that it's the old Nike cut. Nike is having difficulty producing the Eagles shade of green on the new jersey cut.

BwDA_ONIQAAK6HG.jpg

If you can compare the Eagles jersey (assuming that's what you're talking about) to the Cowboys jersey next to it, you'll see that it's the old Nike cut. Nike is having difficulty producing the Eagles shade of green on the new jersey cut.

Good point. And since theres no flywire, looks like they just used last years jersey

Last year

Redskins%20Eagles%20Football%20_r620x349

What I don't understand is: how is nike having a problem with getting the custom shade of green correct for the eagle this season but were fine last season?
Ripon made the jerseys last year. They were completely different materials and the eagles shade of midnight green is nearly impossible to reproduce because its a metallic color and nikes unis are matte.

a little more to it than that. its not impossible to match just because of the finish of material but because that color of textile/fabric was created by Reebok/Ripon. being impossible to match was exactly the point behind it, to thwart counterfeits and might be a reason they never go back to a generic Kelly Green. im not sure how it worked the last 2 years, but im guessing Nike bought a license to be able to use that material, or bought a bulk of it, or bought some Reebok jerseys and slapped a swoosh on it. hard to say, but the jerseys of the last 2 years are certainly not 100% Nike

Uh I don't think so. Pretty sure the eagles have been using ripon since the midnight green redesign. All they do is change the manufacturer's mark from starter, puma, reebok and nike, the uniform supplier has not changed nor have the materials. The midnight green while a custom color was able to be created effectively in a rather industry standard poly/nylon/spandex fabric that was widely popular at the time and made up around 90% of all football uniforms. This was before nike/adi/ua got into the proprietary fabric and moisture wicking in a big way. In essence nothing has really changed for them until the attempt to convert their green to nike fabric.

I highly doubt nike purchased any fabric from reebok/ripon for the last 2 seasons. The uniforms did not change in cut or anything. Nike also contracts out virtually all if not all manufacturing to 3rd party vendors. Makes much more sense from nike's standpoint to extend the agreement with ripon on a year to year basis.

I'm pretty sure you're right, the Eagles have been using Ripon through the change, right up until this year. Why wouldn't they?

Yeah I think there's still a general misunderstanding in regard to separating the physical producer of on field uniforms which rarely changes except for the logo on the outside.

There are very few production facilities capable of meeting the high standards required for college and pro uniforms so it often makes little sense to make a change unless there's some sort of financial interest. Ultimately the on field uniforms will never be sold at retail so effectively that product is nothing more than a billboard for a particular logo with the intent of getting consumers interested in purchasing replica gear of varying levels & quality.

I finally just noticed the Riddell logo is no longer on NFL helmets, looks weird. Not really a fan of teams using a tiny primary logo instead. Their wordmark (like the Packers are doing) would look better imo.

Yeah, after about 20 years or maybe longer, Riddell is no longer the official helmet of the NFL (you probably knew that).

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Anyone have any idea if the Eagles green pants will continue to be shiny with the transition to the new Nike template jerseys?

Probably not.

And that's a shame. That color only works as a metallic IMO. I'll probably jump on the Kelly bandwagon if it looks like how I think it's going to look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well it was designed as a metallic right? Tampering with one of the colour's key components probably won't end well. And is probably part of the cause of the delay. Trying to make it look right with matte materials.

Anyone have any idea if the Eagles green pants will continue to be shiny with the transition to the new Nike template jerseys?

Probably not.

And that's a shame. That color only works as a metallic IMO. I'll probably jump on the Kelly bandwagon if it looks like how I think it's going to look.

Wait... I thought you said that wasn't a bandwagon. :P

Well it was designed as a metallic right? Tampering with one of the colour's key components probably won't end well. And is probably part of the cause of the delay. Trying to make it look right with matte materials.

You're probably right, but they sell replicas that are pretty flat (and suck IMO) so they can make it work on at least whatever material is used for those. It's probably the sweat box or one of their other space age crap things that are on the game jerseys that is holding it up. Hey if they can't ever get the green pants right at least they'll have awesome new black pants this year.

Probably not.

Wait... I thought you said that wasn't a bandwagon. :P

There's a bandwagon on this board. That much I'll admit!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Probably not.
Yeah I agree that it's a shame. The green/white/green combination works so well because the helmet and pants have the same metallic look to them. I hate the way that most teams with gold or silver pants now have tan or grey pants. The Eagles uniform as a whole won't look as complete if the pants are matte.

BwDA_ONIQAAK6HG.jpg

this picture is exactly why the eagles need to return to kelly green and silver.... that's barely even green. who cares if they can't match that fabric. it's more blue than anything. it's not even team colors. [/rant]

I gotta say... After watching the Redskins-Buccaneers game last night, the Bucs uniforms are really growing on me... I've been one of the few that has liked them from the beginning and I actually got to see them in action. The only thing is I wish both sleeves had "Bucs" or the ship

BwDA_ONIQAAK6HG.jpg

this picture is exactly why the eagles need to return to kelly green and silver.... that's barely even green. who cares if they can't match that fabric. it's more blue than anything. it's not even team colors. [/rant]

I think it's just the lighting. To me it looks more green in RL (especially under natural sunlight) despite the fact that there is a little blue in it.

BwDA_ONIQAAK6HG.jpg

The real story here is the size of Nick Foles's right hand. Jeebus, either that's a terrible 'shop or he's got Andre the Giant hands.

Archived