NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

The reality of the situation is that I can see the Raiders having a chrome helmet or chrome facemask at the very least. They might be the only team in the NFL that can get away with it.

Something like this:

wgY5KMd.jpg

I actually really really like this.

I could see this paired with a white jersey, silver numbers, black outline like their throwbacks with white pants. I wouldn't mind that for one game.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to picture teams like Green Bay or Oakland indulging in that kind of nonsense. Like the Yankees' response to those horrific and silly TATC uniforms, I'm sure they'll just opt out.

I dont get why traditional teams can't have a little "fun" with a uniform once in a while? If it's one game in one season, who cares?

I agree with this, as there is something to be said for "mixing it up" a little...but, the problem is that instead of designing tasteful, reasonable, well-thought-out alternates that respectfully represent the team (think Minnesota Vikings), Nike will most likely force insane "upgrades" that wreck a team's identity and represent nothing aside from Nike's "innovation" (think Tampa Bay Bucs).

Just like real life, "fun" must be balanced with reason. It's probably "fun" to hop in a car and drive like Need For Speed, but that doesn't make it a good idea. It's "fun" to play around with traditional looks, but that doesn't make it a good idea to go hog-wild with them. I don't trust Nike to understand that when designing these hypothetical "special" alternates, therefore I'd rather not see it come to pass.

To be fair, it most likely would depend on what the teams ask for. I'm sure some teams would ask for the full Nike treatment, whereas a team like the Packers or Giants would probably ask for a throwback or fauxback.

Hell, maybe teams could use this proposed program as a way of testing fan reactions to potential redesigns. Maybe if the current Jaguars and Bucs uniforms had been unveiled in advance as special alternates on a Thursday night game, the outcry would force Nike to come up with something more reasonable and palatable to fans.

If they did this the Seahawks wouldn't have their jerseys that are now so popular. Some designs take time to win people over, also just because people on here don't like a design doesn't mean thats the general public view.

So, if the NFL and Nike had an outlet for their crap, maybe we'd be less likely to subjected to it on a 5 year basis? That would be a silver lining, although it seems a little like wishful thinking.

I do believe that if Seattle, Tampa, and Jacksonville had brought out their current garbage looks on a "special one-time" deal, the majority of fans of those teams would've not-so-politely requested those looks disappear. It's understandable how, once they've gotten used to seeing a bad uniform for a while, and knowing you're stuck with it (especially if you're a big fan of a team) you can try to convince yourself it isn't that bad.

Don't kid yourself... the "popularity" of the Seahawks' jersey is 99.99% about the Superbowl. If they had lost in that outfit, they'd still be laughed at the way we're going to laugh at Tampa and Jacksonville for the foreseeable future.

That's not true. People were a big fan of the uniforms during the unveil. Players were taking about how they liked seattles uniforms. I initially didn't like them but once I saw them in action I was a fan. Long before the Super Bowl.

I dont get why traditional teams can't have a little "fun" with a uniform once in a while? If it's one game in one season, who cares?

I agree with this, as there is something to be said for "mixing it up" a little...but, the problem is that instead of designing tasteful, reasonable, well-thought-out alternates that respectfully represent the team (think Minnesota Vikings), Nike will most likely force insane "upgrades" that wreck a team's identity and represent nothing aside from Nike's "innovation" (think Tampa Bay Bucs).

Just like real life, "fun" must be balanced with reason. It's probably "fun" to hop in a car and drive like Need For Speed, but that doesn't make it a good idea. It's "fun" to play around with traditional looks, but that doesn't make it a good idea to go hog-wild with them. I don't trust Nike to understand that when designing these hypothetical "special" alternates, therefore I'd rather not see it come to pass.

To be fair, it most likely would depend on what the teams ask for. I'm sure some teams would ask for the full Nike treatment, whereas a team like the Packers or Giants would probably ask for a throwback or fauxback.

Hell, maybe teams could use this proposed program as a way of testing fan reactions to potential redesigns. Maybe if the current Jaguars and Bucs uniforms had been unveiled in advance as special alternates on a Thursday night game, the outcry would force Nike to come up with something more reasonable and palatable to fans.

If they did this the Seahawks wouldn't have their jerseys that are now so popular. Some designs take time to win people over, also just because people on here don't like a design doesn't mean thats the general public view.

Don't kid yourself... the "popularity" of the Seahawks' jersey is 99.99% about the Superbowl. If they had lost in that outfit, they'd still be laughed at the way we're going to laugh at Tampa and Jacksonville for the foreseeable future.
I was in the middle of oil country this past Monday (Dickinson ND) visiting with some old high school classmates. In the middle of Vikings country at Players Sports Bar, the crowd absolutely erupted when the first TD of the MNF game was scored by the Seahawks. I took a look around the place and spotted at least a dozen Seattle jerseys, most of which were #12. All those oil field NoDak transplants cannot possibly be former residents of the Emerald City.

You'd be surprised....

...For what it's worth, I've noticed a similar coincidence throughout Oklahoma, particularly up around Tulsa. Same thing with Pittsburgh. (Or at least it used to be, based on the sheer amount of SEA-PIT origin-&-destination travelers I used to deal with during my ramp rat days--although that probably also had just as much to do with the Boeing/ALCOA business too.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well the stripes are patterned after the numbers it seems.

And that was a very smart move. That was one reason why I didn't care for the black jersey/white pants combo, the color balance was even worse than normal with that look. This isn't the optimal look for the Eagles, but at least it's cohesive.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Would it be so hard to have the green stripe on the Eagles' black pants inside the white stripe so the black and green didn't blend together?

Ya if they flipped the stripes it would be better. I don't think it'd be perfect, but much much better. Right now it looks like one thick white stripe.

Apologetics never cease to amuse me, the Eagles looked pathetic tonight. The black is empty and devoid of character. I'd rather they not go away from the color they supposedly own for an overdone pajama trend but hey, maybe I just expect teams to look good.

On the other hand I'm completely fine with Seattle by now because that's their identity. Doesn't matter to them who likes it and who doesn't. They own it. It's not like their "monochrome" look is new either. It dates back to the pacific blue years. The only parts I can admit are overdesigned are the feather patterns on the helmet and numbers, the size of the numbers, and the stupid offcentered wordmark.

Midway.png

Archived