2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you are dead wrong on the logo. Great logo and needs to be featured more, not less.

No I'm dead right. The webbed "D" logo gives them a classier more mature look. That Mighty Ducks logo is a Disney cartoon that looks like something you would see on a pee-wee hockey team.

The Catch of the Day!

But you are dead wrong on the logo. Great logo and needs to be featured more, not less.

No I'm dead right. The webbed "D" logo gives them a classier more mature look. That Mighty Ducks logo is a Disney cartoon that looks like something you would see on a pee-wee hockey team.

Sorry, dead wrong. The webbed 'D' is a secondary logo at best... The Duck Mask is a classic, and recolouring it in the current palette, eliminates any Disney connotation.

So to all you logo fans across the land / there's no need to argue, cephalopods just don't understand

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just leave Calamari alone, we've tried explaining the Mighty Ducks to him before but he just doesn't understand.

Come on...if you're going to rip into him at least acknowledge that he can't ever be calamari. He would have to be a giant Pacific squid!

Dear Cthulu, that is a great looking jersey. I love the unique color combo the eggplant and teal gives, but this jersey deserves to be a primary, damnit!

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the octopus. (the internet is weird lol.)

It's a cartoony logo. Ducks don't look like that, goalie masks don't look like that anymore. Everyone complains about other cartoony logos, but this one magically gets a pass because nostalgia.

The webbed D was a more grown up and professional logo. It illustrated ducks without losing any kind of toughness. I'm surprised they never turned it to make an A logo. It's a better logo and if it weren't for those movies (or Paul Kariya spending years in purple), nobody would be disagreeing.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with the octopus. (the internet is weird lol.)

It's a cartoony logo. Ducks don't look like that, goalie masks don't look like that anymore. Everyone complains about other cartoony logos, but this one magically gets a pass because nostalgia.

The webbed D was a more grown up and professional logo. It illustrated ducks without losing any kind of toughness. I'm surprised they never turned it to make an A logo. It's a better logo and if it weren't for those movies (or Paul Kariya spending years in purple), nobody would be disagreeing.

I don't. The Orioles' cartoon bird cap logo and the Padres' Swinging Friar from the 1990's are among my favorite logos in sports.

I'm neutral to the webbed D and the Duck Mask (either one would work for me), but I'd like their look more if they kept the eggplant/teal color scheme. That's not nostalgia, that's simply because I like those colors together, especially when the shades are as good as they were with the Ducks.

I don't. The Orioles' cartoon bird cap logo and the Padres' Swinging Friar from the 1990's are among my favorite logos in sports.

I'm neutral to the webbed D and the Duck Mask (either one would work for me), but I'd like their look more if they kept the eggplant/teal color scheme. That's not nostalgia, that's simply because I like those colors together, especially when the shades are as good as they were with the Ducks.

Cartoony logos in baseball are accepted because they've been around almost forever.

Cartoony logos in hockey are usually minor league fodder, and even then they get complained about enough. What other NHL logos are cartoony? San Jose? You saw how that debate raged. And Pittsburgh's, and that gets to be a real barn-burner considering it's been around so long, but it's so cartoony (and that cartoon logo is probably the only reason why RoboPenguin is so popular, it's not a cartoon). The precedent isn't there, cartoony logos stick out like a sore thumb in the NHL.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This doesn't get a pass because of nostalgia. It gets a pass because its a great logo.

For a team named the Ducks who play hockey, it makes total sense to have a duck wearing a goalie mask. It is executed well and presents a strong identity for an NHL team.

The joke is, it's not even really that cartoony... At least comparatively speaking to the other logos of the era. What makes great is the symmetry and how all the elements seamlessly fit together.

As for the 'Webbed D,' what's great about it? It's awkwardly shaped, has too many outlines, doesn't depict a duck, and is basically an amputation of a generic word mark.

Not sure why the Oilers needed different gloves/pants for the alternate uni. Looks awesome though.

Because it's full out throwback. It wouldn't have mattered much, but...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The joke is, it's not even really that cartoony... At least comparatively speaking to the other logos of the era. What makes great is the symmetry and how all the elements seamlessly fit together.

As for the 'Webbed D,' what's great about it? It's awkwardly shaped, has too many outlines, doesn't depict a duck, and is basically an amputation of a generic word mark.

Thank you - summed up my feelings perfectly.

Archived