NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

Before I respond to anything anyone's posted, I just wanted to sum up my first impressions on the leak:

• That's what Toronto calls a rebrand?? First the disappointing trendy, soulless logos, and now virtually unchanged uniforms to go along with them? Yawn. They better be more creative with this All-Star Game.
  • Still lol'ing at that :censored:ty fan contest Mavs alt.
  • The Pistons alt next to it looks like the Mavs' garbage bag alts, or at least the Magic's grey alts without the sleeves or pinstripes. Either way, not a look you exactly wanna embrace, especially given the apparent history.
  • Is it just me or does the Heat alt seem reminiscent of their Floridians throwback, in terms of the asymmetric striping?
  • Interesting that OKC seems to be doing that we all wanted and embracing their Baron Davis-era GSW color scheme.
  • Why oh why do the pride uniforms have to be sleeved? I really want to give the Nuggets, Pelicans, Kings, and Wizards unis a chance, but the sleeves are killing it for me. The Pelicans are finally embracing Mardi Gras and the Wizards are embracing their Bullets past with a look that I totally thought belonged to the Trail Blazers (maybe the color values are just off)--please don't let these ideas die as one-season-offs just because of Adidas and their sleeves.
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleeves, Sleeves everywhere. Adidas is getting everything out the door in their last year.

Nike reboot can't start soon enough

Nike won't get ride of the sleeves if they're selling.

Despite what's been reported, I refuse to believe they're selling very well.

I've seen a total of mayyyyyybe 4 people wearing them. Ever.

I do, however, see a lot of them on the clearance racks of sporting goods stores in the offseason.

I thought the Nike deal didn't kick in until the 2017-18 season? Did something change?

Whose jersey is next to the orange OKC jersey?

19745787440_f90edb9828_b.jpg

Well, according to UW, Paul thinks it's the Jazz. And, that is what I thought and still think. But, there's some thought it could be for Phoenix?

But, I swear I see UTAH on that jersey.

That's Phoenix, you can see these feather things on the shorts.

Yeah that is clearly Phoenix. That black on black with the orange outline is hideous.

I'm actually excited for the the Wizards pride uniform despite it being sleeved. I can be fine without the Chinese one although it does make sense since Verizon Center is in Chinatown.

It looks like in some sort the Pelicans might do some sort of a Mardi Gras uniform but can't really tell from the graphic.

Houston's Pride uniform looks lame as does the Denver one.

Oh and my last take, that Miami Hoops for Troops looks horrendous. I swear Miami has 374927 jerseys. I'd love to know how many that organization has had since they came into the league and that's including all the one-offs too and tweaks. If I were to guess, I'd say the count is north of the 50 range.

Hearing rumors around here that the Jazz are promoting the current note/wordmark to primary status (which should've happened in 2010 anyways) and getting a new secondary logo either this offseason or next. No word on any other changes.

The team's new management is perplexed why the former president cheaped out on the branding too...Happy to see they are willing to pony up the dough. Now, about those colors...

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

"OMG adidas SUCKS COME SAVE US NIKE!!!!"

If this was Nike, you'd be clamoring for adidas. If this was UA, you'd be clamoring for... well, someone else.

It's not like adidas hands the NBA a box of crap and the owners look at it and say "oh well, I guess we don't have any choice".

Blaming adidas is asinine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If this was Nike, you'd be clamoring for adidas. If this was UA, you'd be clamoring for... well, someone else.

It's not like adidas hands the NBA a box of crap and the owners look at it and say "oh well, I guess we don't have any choice".

5 minutes later - Bring Back The Vet's pockets

1361855488_depositphotos_7637385-Man-stu

Courtesy of Adidas

shado_logo.gif

Thank you! Someone who actually makes sense! The grass is NOT always greener on the other side.

SB%2001%2003%2004%2015_zpsuc4ldp3t.pngNBA%20All_zpsgzk5pipt.pngSC%2029%2039%2041%2070%2072%2011_zpspiuwWS%2003%2012%2015%2016%2018%2004%2007%20

Looks like a rushed job. I guarantee next year there will be new jerseys after Clippers realize what a failure thsee uniforms are.

I still have a feeling that they're waiting for Nike to take over to bring out the real uniforms.

Yes, because that is how multi-billion dollar organizations operate. They'll punt their brand for two years just so they can have another rebranding that corresponds with switching manufacturers. Makes total sense.

Actually, a multi-billion dollar organization could probably see the value in selling "the new uniforms" now and then getting to sell "the new uniforms" all over again in a couple years.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Within the past five years or so, NOBODY has been clamoring for more adidas. Otherwise, I mostly agree.

Reading the story on the Jazz primary logo change it says that the NBA forces all teams to include their full city & team name in their primary logo. If that is the case how are the new Clipper primary and the Pacers logos allowed?

Also, this could be why we are seeing so many roundels as it is really one of the only/easiest ways to include the city and team name in some of these logos

I know it's a pretty exhausting and polarizing topic, but the team history argument, to me at least, is somewhat simple and straightforward..

If the original team retains the nickname, the team keeps its history.. If they immediately change, they lose it.. The only area where things might get fishy is when they keep it for a short while, then change it, like the Titans and Pelicans.

It would be easy for leagues to address this on the front end and establish some rules regarding the situation, such as those I previously stated (keep your nickname or don't, but there is no in-between) this would allow a city/fanbase to retain their "history" even as they hopefully wait on a new team (like in the Sonics' case), but an existing franchise should not come in and change themselves into the previous team.. If the Timberwolves or Bucks move to Seattle, they absolutely SHOULD NOT become the Sonics, but if an expansion is granted to Seattle, they SHOULD be the Sonics. The Hornets situation, as ugly as it was, was actually worked out the right way IMO because the Bobcats just never got any real traction and the city of Charlotte always held onto a love for their Hornets, but it certainly could've been much cleaner on the front end..

Teams like the SF Giants and LA Dodgers keep their history because they kept their name.. If they would've abandoned it when they left, and another expansion had scooped it up in their original town, then the new team would have a strong argument to please the original fanbase by acquiring the history.. I'm actually a big fan of the way the Browns and Hornets situations eventually worked out, because it adds some continuity to the city and the history behind the nickname.. I understand that these are business organizations and existing legal entities, not just made up fairy tale names and histories, but in the eye of the fan, it is.. It's a tricky mess when a team moves/changes, but in a sense, the team is changing who they are because they no longer want to be who they were.. That's a huge slap in the face to a fan and deserving of losing your history.. Moving is understandable and, to some extent, maybe a name change, but never both.. If you change both, you no longer retain any part of what fans can associate with your franchise.. If someone wants to come in and adopt your bastardized history, more power to them.

Reading the story on the Jazz primary logo change it says that the NBA forces all teams to include their full city & team name in their primary logo. If that is the case how are the new Clipper primary and the Pacers logos allowed?

Also, this could be why we are seeing so many roundels as it is really one of the only/easiest ways to include the city and team name in some of these logos

Pacers are grandfathered in. Clippers have LA very prominent in their logo. I'm sure they fought to have it, since Los Angeles and LA are interchangeable in common vernacular.

Pacers are grandfathered in. Clippers have LA very prominent in their logo. I'm sure they fought to have it, since Los Angeles and LA are interchangeable in common vernacular.

If I knew absolutley nothing about basketball or sports in general I would have a hard time just assuming this logo meant Los Angeles. Surprised the league gave them a pass

5462_los_angeles_clippers-primary-2016.p

Archived