76ers new logo(s) and uniforms

ScubaSteve

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in their early days (I'm thinking the Wilt and Greer years), didn't the Sixers only have "PHILA" on both home and road jerseys? It seems like they didn't put Sixers on a jersey until a little later. If so, I wonder if that's the inspiration behind "PHILA" on both here.

I think you're right. It's pretty clear that blue is going to remain the road primary, but I'm curious to see how much they will wear the reds with "SIXERS" on the front.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PHILA is easily the best option the 76ers have when it comes to what to put on their jerseys, so I'm fine with this.

My thoughts exactly. The 76ers have such a terrible name situation. Putting Philadelphia wouldn't work, 76ers (I think) isn't allowed, and Seventy-Sixers would look bad, too. Phila (or Philly) and Sixers are the best options, but I prefer Phila.

spacer.png

LXXVIers

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

that uniform is great - but if you add side panels and stars to it, there's just too much going on.

With their single-color lettering, there's plenty of room for the stars to shine, so to speak. Kind of like how teams like the Steelers and (formerly) Browns have single color numbers but relatively elaborate sleeve stripes.

If I was asked to choose now, I'd choose that uniform that Iverson is wearing - But I think there's a realistic chance that what they unwrap in June could be much better than what most people are expecting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Conrad's concept was posted on one of the local blogs (CrossingBroad.com), and received the following response which may tell us something:

sixers-home.png?resize=569%2C583

Response from an unnamed reader who claims to have seen the new uniforms modeled:

Those renderings that guy created are close to accurate except the siding of the uniforms are going to be blue not red. Accurate portrayal of the stars though.

Conrad's concept was posted on one of the local blogs (CrossingBroad.com), and received the following response which may tell us something:

sixers-home.png?resize=569%2C583

Response from an unnamed reader who claims to have seen the new uniforms modeled:

Those renderings that guy created are close to accurate except the siding of the uniforms are going to be blue not red. Accurate portrayal of the stars though.

So red will soon be to the 76ers what orange is to the Dolphins? Well that sucks.

Won't there be six stars on each side? There were six stars in the roundel for a reason...Sixers. Seems like they would use them again on jerseys that don't have Sixers anywhere.

And I agree that these unis missed the mark if the side panels are blue and not red.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The "boring no outline look" is perfect for a uniform like conrad's.

It's not perfect for a uniform like their current one or the iverson throwback.

If you just inverted red and blue on conrads uniform then that will be a decent amount of red. Everyone has a hard on for the Barkley era set and that one had even less red at home.

80shome.jpg

I guess there wasn't a lot of red in the 1980's home jerseys either. Still wish the new ones would say SIXERS though.

Is it just me or does Dr J just look so effin' cool in this pic?

When doesn't Dr. J look cool. :lol:

Anyway, I don't mind the Sixers having Phila on the away jersey, but it looks terrible on the home. Like in the picture above, the 76ers need "Sixers" on the home jersey.

Here's an update on Conrad's mockups, from an anonymous source. It's per Crossing Broad (http://www.crossingbroad.com/2015/05/graphic-designer-takes-sixers-uni-clues-to-mock-up-full-look.html):

Tony Chennault was actually one of the people modeling the jersey in the photo shoot. As a Nova guy I thought you’d get a kick out of that.

That was already posted not 10 posts ago.

I don't get the hate for no outlines. I personally think everything looks better with 1 outline or no outlines. The old trend of 2, 3, 4 outlines is more than welcome to die IMO.

And if anyone is wondering why the minimal look seems to be thriving in the NBA, look no further than the rest of the design world. Flat design is king at the moment, and it makes perfect sense for that to bleed over into uniform design as well.

Archived