NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cleveland Cavaliers will wear their blue road jerseys for Game 1 of The Finals. The Cavaliers have worn that jersey for all prior playoff games this season.

The Cavaliers are holding onto their black, t-shirt style jerseys they wore in Games 5 and 7 last season for the "right moment."

The Cavaliers discussed which uniforms to wear against the Warriors for Game 1 on their flight back to Cleveland following Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals in Boston.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246103/Cavaliers-Wearing-Blue-Jerseys-For-Game-1-Saving-Black-T-Shirt-Uniform

I really hope we don't see those black t-shirt unis from the Cavs again. It seems ridiculous that they never wear them all postseason then wear them when they clinch the title.

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

The previous wine, gold, white and navy uniforms were perfect. I get that some didn't like the font, but to me it was close enough to the 'Cleveland' in the primary logo to work fine. 

Everything is just sloppy and rushed. Almost like the Wizards roundel logo, where the text wasn't curved correctly and slivers of red showing through the uneven circles. 

Hopefully the uniforms will be better, but I'm not feeling very good about it right now.

I'm with you, I even liked the navy (maybe 2nd best of the set). I don't mind the simplicity of the word marks. They work well with the set, and somehow a simple, Midwest-gymnasium type set works for Cleveland and it's the least dated they've ever looked. A trendy angular typeface doesn't work for those jerseys at all.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Too much navy, too much black, and they shouldn't be together as others have stated.

I've wanted the Cavs to drop the navy and just be wine and gold for a long time, now they go a step further away from what I want.

The alternate shield has a cool concept, but just seems weird with the C, given that it has depth already and now you have wine on wine and just blegh. Plus, your eyes are drawn to the intersection up top, which is where a lot of shields have words. But instead you just see lines that look like a basketball. If they adjusted it so the C wrapped around the middle of the basketball design, I think it'd be a lot sharper.

Really wish they'd use the simple and elegant 2D C logo like in my avatar. It's so much better IMO. And go back to the 03-10 wordmark, and maybe bring back those first LeBron jerseys with minor adjustments and color changes. 

OH WELL. Another 7 years another Cavs identity. At least we kept the wine & gold.

4 hours ago, MkDon said:

DBLUsCGVwAAxQu2.jpg

Thought "The Primary Logo" under the C-Sword is the NBA's term for a primary. :D

My quick observations:

-Primary shield and secondary shield do not match (outlines are different AND shape is different--primary "global" logo's edges are bowed-out)

-Navy AND black? Just pick one, darnit

-Wordmarks? Not a big fan. (Similar to Jags?)

-New "Cavs" wordmark is definitely beveled

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

24 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

I may be wrong, but i thought every new primary NBA logo since like 2015 was required to have a basketball, or the basketball style design somewhere in the logo...???

There is no rule, but the league "encourages" teams to have one somewhere in their logo set (not necessarily the primary).

“What we encourage is having a ball in your identity. That might be in your primary logo or that might be in your secondary logo.” - Christopher Arena, the NBA’s Vice President for Apparel, Sporting Goods & Basketball partnerships

I think the "C" logo is still great, and I love the new word mark (although I'm a fan of the current, I think the new one combines aspects of the uniform mark + script mark pretty well). 

Not a fan of the global logo...don't think it's very well executed. None of the elements feel like they fit together naturally. 

I wish they'd just abandon the navy instead of hiding it.

24 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I don't think this franchise has had an identity that lasted more than a decade.

Well they've had logos that lasted more than a decade, but uniforms might be a different story.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

15 hours ago, JoeDGemma said:

Here's a few quick mockups of the Cavs new wordmarks on their current set which is rumored to be the direction the team is going. IMG_1484.thumb.JPG.5116409c66d6a71cfbd0e4f1e71f8b09.JPGIMG_1485.thumb.JPG.6e3b28cd2b7991914e2878141101a781.JPG

Something I noticed in this mockup is that the wordmark and numbers kinda look like they were carved with sword. Say what you will but that's way more character than the current uniforms ever had.

bSLCtu2.png

RE: Cavs New Logos

The Global Logo

• Introduce a shield which has no context to the city of Cleveland or a Cavalier... but fine.

• The new font is a prisoner of the times and will never last the test of time. The current font they are using is far superior.

• The C-Sword logo is a fantastic logo, but much of the sword is lost in the word mark portion of the shield.

Overall: Downgrade

Primary Logo

• Great logo, very happy they replaced the navy with black.

Overall: Upgrade

Partial Logo

• As a partial or third logo, its fine. Again, upgrade changing the navy to black.

Overall: Upgrade

Secondary Logo

• Why is the shape of the shield different than the Global Logo?

• Why is navy suddenly back in this logo?

• The basketball seams are a nice look, but the C appear to clutter up the logo. It just looks like there is too much. And is the shading of the C black? Not a good look, Cavs.

Word Marks

• The font is a prisoner of the moment. The sharp edges will not stand the test of time and will have to be redesigned within the next 5 years. Not a wise move for what will be considered the glory years of the franchise.

Miscellaneous

• Where is the Sword-Flag logo? It wasn't perfect, but could have benefited from some minor tweaks and would have been one of the best logos in the game.

Overall

Massive downgrade. The current shades of wine and gold definitely compliment black better than navy. The navy uniforms look like a circus tent. In that sense, its an upgrade. However the new shield Global Logo and Secondary Logo are massive downgrades to the current Global Logo and Sword-Flag logo.

A terrible, terrible re-branding by the Cavs. What should have been an iconic look in Cleveland and Ohio sports history has now become even more muddled and less unique. None of these uniforms, logos, or wordmarks will stand the test of time or become icons.  Its an utter shame that one of the games greatest players will have no signature uniform, logo, or even color pallet. 

Archived