buckeye

College Football Uniforms - 2017 Season

One cool little thing about this weekend’s Oregon combo is that they’ll be wearing the second iteration of the chrome winged helmets at the place where they debuted the first chrome winged helmets, back at the 2012 Rose Bowl game:

20 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

The collar was my complaint. That and reversed numbers would help stand out from other orange teams. 

Here’s the full uniform: 

7CFBE33B-8C43-4764-AB28-0E1D8B982599.thumb.jpeg.655e27de2369ac66146b404bff01d2ad.jpeg

83C06830-CF10-411D-85E9-6D607A7F74BC.thumb.jpeg.418d6cb262bd906eb7c899ef68f2a946.jpeg

the more I see it, the more I like it

When you say "reversed numbers", are you referring to maroon numbers with white outline? If so, that would be horrible.. Legibility outweighs standing out from other orange teams 

31 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

When you say "reversed numbers", are you referring to maroon numbers with white outline? If so, that would be horrible.. Legibility outweighs standing out from other orange teams 

Reversed numbers on the sleeves would be cool, and unique to the Hokies.

17 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Reversed numbers on the sleeves would be cool, and unique to the Hokies.

Yea, i meant on the reversed numbers on their sleeves. It would be a nod to their Vick era uniforms

11 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Yea, i meant on the reversed numbers on their sleeves. It would be a nod to their Vick era uniforms

Ahhh, gotcha.. Yeah, that'd be a nice touch for them.. It sounded like you were suggesting they go all "Browns" on us

Practically a "Blackout", the frogskin pattern on ALL of the helmet and pants makes the purple look darker. Throw in a night game and it's basically black on black on black. 

3 hours ago, 29texan said:

Practically a "Blackout", the frogskin pattern on ALL of the helmet and pants makes the purple look darker. Throw in a night game and it's basically black on black on black. 

I like that they are trying to hype the game, but truth be told...TCU could come out in flip flops and jean shorts and probably beat KU.  :P

7 hours ago, razorback447 said:

How much longer before the logo/number fad dies? Hopefully, soon. 

This is a rare case where it actually makes a bit of sense (not saying it's a GOOD reason), considering a "C" can't be mirrored to face the front of the helmet, which isn't an issue in-and-of itself, but the "motion" lines make it look awkward with the moving toward the back of the helmet.. 

It's not a huge issue, especially considering they've been using the "backwards-motion-C" on the left side of their helmet for years, but if a team is going to jump on this ridiculous fad, I can at least appreciate when teams have a valid reason (whether they are aware of the reason or not)..

Another example, my brother-in-law is the head coach at Northeastern State University (a not-very-competitive NCAA D-II school in Oklahoma), and they utilize the asymmetrical logo/# helmet design, but it's due to the fact that they only licensed the right-facing version of their logo (or something to that effect), so they try to avoid using the left-facing iteration of the logo.. Therefore, they opted to use numbers on the left side instead.. (Side note: the previous helmet had a crude Seahawks knockoff design, incorporating the Riverhawk head logo onto  a Seahawks-style elongated neck, but oddly enough, used both right- and left-facing versions for a symmetrical helmet..)

8 hours ago, razorback447 said:

How much longer before the logo/number fad dies? Hopefully, soon. 

was about to post this and I'd include the Florida Gators two different logos on the white helmet 

8 hours ago, 29texan said:

Looks like we must have given up on the purple frogskin uni. 

Only 2 home games left are vs. Texas and Baylor.  The Baylor game is on Black Friday and is our official blackout game, so I've got to assume we will be wearing black for that one.  And we like to wear weird stuff for the Texas game (black-white black last year and grey frogskin the year before), so I assume that will continue.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:06 PM, shstpt1 said:

The collar was my complaint. That and reversed numbers would help stand out from other orange teams. 

Here’s the full uniform: 

7CFBE33B-8C43-4764-AB28-0E1D8B982599.thumb.jpeg.655e27de2369ac66146b404bff01d2ad.jpeg

83C06830-CF10-411D-85E9-6D607A7F74BC.thumb.jpeg.418d6cb262bd906eb7c899ef68f2a946.jpeg

the more I see it, the more I like it

I can only find one other time that they wore it but I think white/orange/white is a really sharp look for VT

5569C823-9BD6-449C-AC24-8A44478A2F87.jpeg

ISU 0.jpg

Liberty 1.PNG

15200048_G.jpg

ASU going G/W/M again at Utah. Second time this year.

So that bring the count to: G/M/G - 3 games, G/W/M - 2 games, M/M/M - 1 game, B/B/B - 1 game

The athletic department has really put a stranglehold on the creativity this year. I remember when this news came out in December that they would use more maroon and gold (ASU uniforms to primarily be maroon and gold), but I didn't think it was going to be this restrained. Don't get me wrong, I love me some maroon and gold and the traditional combos, but there are different ways you can incorporate the colors and bring some variety.

Sneak peak at Buckeyes alternate helmet design for the Penn State Game: Sauce

7763087.png

Should be an interesting look.  Looks like they are trying to capitalize on the gem from last year's throw backs.  I'm curious to see what the pants look like.  It would be nice if there was a red block O on the front.