Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Sharks are considered a 90s expansion team even though the League treated their creation as a reversal of the Seals/Barons-North Stars merger. 

So if anyone owns the Seals’ trademarks? It’s either the Stars or the League. 

Why would it be the Stars?  The Gunds owned the Seals/Barons, then consolidated them into the North Stars. Years later the Gunds extricated their ownership interest back out of the North Stars (and sold to Norm Green) as part of an agreement not to move the team, and then formed the Sharks as an "expansion" team even though they took a portion of the North Stars roster with them.  What was left of the North Stars wouldve had no rights to the Seals/Barons marks because they never owned them to begin with.

Either the current Sharks own the rights to those marks (via sale from the Gunds and other previous Sharks owners) or they were ceded to the NHL at some point in the franchise relocation processes. 

12 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Why would it be the Stars?  The Gunds owned the Seals/Barons, then consolidated them into the North Stars. Years later the Gunds extricated their ownership interest back out of the North Stars (and sold to Norm Green) as part of an agreement not to move the team, and then formed the Sharks as an "expansion" team even though they took a portion of the North Stars roster with them.  What was left of the North Stars wouldve had no rights to the Seals/Barons marks because they never owned them to begin with.

Either the current Sharks own the rights to those marks (via sale from the Gunds and other previous Sharks owners) or they were ceded to the NHL at some point in the franchise relocation processes. 

Even though the Sharks’ birth looked a hell of a lot like a de-merger from the North Stars (Minnesota participated in the expansion draft after having been in the league for 25 years!), that’s not what the NHL calls it. Any Seals/Barons property would probably belong to the Stars. Possibly the league. I think the league tries to maintain control over IP for extinct teams, but I don’t know if they count as “extinct”.

Using this site: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4802:r9iogv.1.1, I haven't managed to find anything on California Golden Seals or Oakland Seals, while on the Canadian version http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=0343835&lang=eng&tab=reg, it listed the Golden Seals as expunged.  It does list a bunch of companies as the current owners, but at least on the Canadian side, it appears it was not renewed in 2003.  Perhaps nobody owns the trademark.

It does seem like the NHL has the trademarks on some of the relocated names including Quebec Nordiques and the Minnesota North Stars.

Unless Houston or San Antonio get a team, which ain't likely, this will be the franchise i follow. 

My choice for team name is the Seattle Kraken. Mythical sea creatures need more exposure in mainstream professional sports.

23 hours ago, Primzahl said:

My choice for team name is the Seattle Kraken. Mythical sea creatures need more exposure in mainstream professional sports.

The Kraken comes from Norse mythology. There wasn’t exactly a heavy viking presence in America’s Pacific Northwest. 

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

The Kraken comes from Norse mythology. There wasn’t exactly a heavy viking presence in America’s Pacific Northwest. 

Counterpoint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballard,_Seattle

Historically Ballard is the traditional center of Seattle's ethnically Scandinavian seafaring community, who were drawn to the area because of the salmon fishing opportunities.[32] The neighborhood's unofficial slogan, "Uff da", comes from an Almost Live! sketch that made fun of its Scandinavian culture. In recent years the proportion of Scandinavian residents has decreased but the neighborhood is still proud of its heritage. Ballard is home to the Nordic Heritage Museum, which celebrates both the community of Ballard and the local Scandinavian history. Scandinavians unite in organizations such as the Sons of Norway Leif Ericson Lodge and the Norwegian Ladies Chorus of Seattle. Each year the community celebrates the Ballard SeafoodFest and Norwegian Constitution Day (also called Syttende Mai) on May 17 to commemorate the signing of the Norwegian Constitution.[33]

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

32 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

This would be a fair point if they wanted to use the name ‘Vikings’, but in my opinion I don’t think the ethnicity of settlers matters so much for a mythical creature name than the culture surrounding it. Seattle is certainly a nautical city, and that’s good enough reasoning for me.

That being said, I think Kraken is a dumb name regardless

“Kraken” as a name seems like it came from some overpaid marketing exec realising they could play the clip of Liam Neeson yelling “release the kraken!” at games and stopped there, with no more thought given to what the team’s visual identity would be. 

On 2018-01-26 at 11:02 PM, DG_Now said:

Interesting. Learn something new every day. Thanks!

I still think the name is way too cheesy though :P 

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I'm really starting to think this is going to be a red team.

The arena rendering has a lot of red and the flag they raised today is red.

I could see them going with a colour scheme of red and green, basically an inverse of the wild. Matches the Metropolitans old colours well too.

I'm  still pulling for green and gold though.

9 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I'm really starting to think this is going to be a red team.

The arena rendering has a lot of red and the flag they raised today is red.

If so, red and what?  We already have red/white (DET), red/black/white (AZ), Red/blue (MTL), Red/green (MIN, albeit in reverse), Red/black/yellow (CGY)

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

If so, red and what?  We already have red/white (DET), red/black/white (AZ), Red/blue (MTL), Red/green (MIN, albeit in reverse), Red/black/yellow (CGY)

Plus the Devils and the Canes!

This is a complete guess, but maybe they want a red identity for the arena (maybe with a naming rights partner they're not quite ready to announce yet?), and they just haven't gotten around to team branding yet? The NHL team is not the total reason for the arena, so it wouldn't surprise me for the building to have its own brand. The Sabres' arena built in the 90s had its own blue/light blue/purple scheme, separate from both the team and the bank sponsor.

It dawned on me the arena renderings may just be red to differentiate from the other Seattle teams... and especially the green of the Sonics. 

I’d like the final color scheme to be light blue and forest green

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Archived