NFL 2018 changes

msubulldog

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, lbj273 said:

It would have to be a pretty bad bastardization to be a worse option than a "pure" throwback twice a year

if you combined the eras, say putting the current logo and colors on the '66 design, then you eliminate the need for the '66 from the uniform rotation. its just not different enough from the primarys to warrant using. so its not exactly about being good or bad, but about having a current uniform that is different and forward thinking enough that it makes sense to keep what many would consider the best uniform in the NFL around at all. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Regarding the Steelers, I can say this:  living in Western Pennsylvania, fans would just be happy to go back to the Full Block numbers of the 70s/80s/90s.  Will look almost exactly like Iowa, except if they truly wanted to make it a throwback, they could switch to Grey facemasks for that game, which they wore through '76.  Would be subtle, but well-received by the fanbase.

If the 49ers are adding a White pant, then let's hope they're bringing that matching throwback jersey with it.  It's just a number font change, so it shouldn't be an issue.  

What shade of what color are the Dolphins changing?  Seems like a huge expense and silly to do unless changing the entire brand of the team again.  I am in the minority on this board, but I think their current update is perfect.  I hate the throwbacks, hate them. 

I will be greatly disappointed if the new Jags helmet is glossy black.  Satin or bust.  Matte is still a good look (at least you'll agree if you were born after 1980).

Born slightly before 1980.

Matte helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Glossy helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Satin helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

In general, I'm not a fan of matte, but I can't deny that there are a few that work (at least in NCAA.)  I don't like it at all with the Vikings (if that's even considered matte) and I think it would suck with the Jaguars.

While I'm more of a fan of shiny materials and helmets, considering the flat material that Nike is using for the uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with a matte helmet.  I think their jerseys, more so than most other teams, look awkwardly flat considering the shine on the helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, Volt said:

If the 49ers are adding a White pant, then let's hope they're bringing that matching throwback jersey with it.  It's just a number font change, so it shouldn't be an issue.  

What shade of what color are the Dolphins changing?  Seems like a huge expense and silly to do unless changing the entire brand of the team again.  I am in the minority on this board, but I think their current update is perfect.  I hate the throwbacks, hate them. 

49ers are only adding a pant... no new or altered jerseys.

Not at liberty to state what color/shade the Dolphins are changing. I can confirm that all they are changing is a color though.

On 2/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

me too of course, but given the choice of a "pure" throwback 2x a year, or a full-time bastardization of it (which would eliminate the need for the throwback) the choice is clear, no?

It really just totally depends on the bastardization. Like, if you considered the Vikings a bastardization (purple pants with purple socks sticks out to me as a trademark bastardized sign) I'll take it. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Born slightly before 1980.

Matte helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Glossy helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Satin helmets suck in some cases, work in others.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

In general, I'm not a fan of matte, but I can't deny that there are a few that work (at least in NCAA.)  I don't like it at all with the Vikings (if that's even considered matte) and I think it would suck with the Jaguars.

While I'm more of a fan of shiny materials and helmets, considering the flat material that Nike is using for the uniforms, I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with a matte helmet.  I think their jerseys, more so than most other teams, look awkwardly flat considering the shine on the helmet.

Vikings is a satin finish I thiiiink

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

15 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

It really just totally depends on the bastardization. Like, if you considered the Vikings a bastardization (purple pants with purple socks sticks out to me as a trademark bastardized sign) I'll take it. 

i would consider it an evolutionary design. its a new twist on the identity, not so much a combination of eras. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

25 minutes ago, bowld said:

Have to think Miami is either darkening the orange or teal to match throwback shade

They almost have to. The two colors blend horribly due to both of them being so bright. That's a big reason why (outside of simply not using enough orange) many have a hard time seeing any orange on the field.

The throwback shades are exactly what they should be using.

4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Vikings is a satin finish I thiiiink

oh I didn't realize that was what we're calling "satin".  Looks kinda mattey to me. Are there any other "satin"s out there?  I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with that finish too.

I thought "satin" was like a glossy but not shiny finish, if that makes any sense.  I think there are different levels of gloss, or at least reflection.  Is it just layers of clearcoat that do that?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

oh I didn't realize that was what we're calling "satin".  Looks kinda mattey to me. Are there any other "satin"s out there?  I wouldn't mind seeing an Eagles concept with that finish too.

I thought "satin" was like a glossy but not shiny finish, if that makes any sense.  I think there are different levels of gloss, or at least reflection.  Is it just layers of clearcoat that do that?

Vikings are the only team that uses a satin finish in the NFL.  Many college teams use it, like Michigan State, Michigan, Illinois, and Syracuse. The Eagles would probably look pretty good with a satin finish.

Seahawks use an eggshell finish, which is shiny but not glossy. Arizona State has an eggshell finish too.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So doing a matte to shiny scale of finishes, it would go something like this? 

Matte (Tons in NCAA, Black part of jaguars helmet)

Satin (Vikings, Texas A&M)

Eggshell (Seahawks, ASU)

Gloss (Most NFL teams)

Candied Apple (Giants)

Chrome  (Louisville, Baylor, tons in NCAA

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived