Unpopular Opinions

On 1/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

Just adding my two cents to all of this:

NFL

I don't think the Bucs' jerseys are that bad. The font is strange, but not awful.

The Steelers need a rebrand. It's classic, sure, but the logo has nothing to do with steel or Pittsburgh. (Edit: no it doesn't I need to do my research!)

The Raiders' logo needs updating. The shading on it doesn't look great.

NBA

The Bulls need a brighter shade of red. Plus, the font on their logo needs an update.

The Pistons' identity is the worst in the NBA. It has nothing to do with Detroit or pistons. Go back to the horse.

The Warriors' logo is bad. It's just a bridge, and that bridge is not iconic at all. They should go back to the star on the bay with California in the background.

The Lakers need an update. All they need to do is remove the "speed marks" on the Lakers part, and update the colors.

The Clippers' identity isn't awful, and was definitely an improvement over what they had before. However, they should still go back to blue and orange.

The Hornets have the best color scheme in all of sports.

MLB

The Orioles need to go back to the cartoon bird. It looks much better.

The Anaheim Angels logo is great and they should go back to that.

The Yankees logo is bad. Just switch to the NY logo.

Note to Cleveland, Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh, and San Diego: just letters without any sort of design looks bad as a primary.

The Marlins color scheme and logo is great and is one of the best in the MLB.

NHL

The Hurricanes logo is great, and their identity isn't bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Whalers.

Fauxback logos are dumb. New York (both of them), Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and Toronto's logos all look awful. (Especially Pittsburgh.)

The Minnesota Wild have the best logo in all of sports. Period.

The Golden Knights name and logo are great, but they just need to get rid of the white on the logo.

MLS

DC United and Columbus need to update. Their logos look outdated.

The New England Revolution's logo is amazing. Absolutely beautiful.

Anyway, those are my opinions. Not sure how many of them are actually unpopular (387 pages are a lot to go through), but here they are for arguing with about how x logo is clearly better than y logo. Enjoy!

I'm honestly surprised that I agree with someone as much as I do with you. The only ones that I disagree with are the Hornets, Golden Knights (I love their logo, but not the name), and that DCU and Columbus need to update (they both made a massive upgrade in 2016 and 2015, respectively).

ExJworW.png

On 1/3/2018 at 12:15 PM, -Akronite- said:

Notes above. I'm on board with a lot of your opinion actually.

Orioles: Yes as the primary. Specifically the one from 1989-91. That's a classic right there.

Angels: 2002-2004. The Disney one isn't great. Just remove the word mark from the logo and change the team name to "Anaheim."

Yankees: They're the exception because of historic significance of the NY logo. San Diego, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, and Colorado do not have the pop culture power of the Yankees.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/3/2018 at 1:07 PM, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm honestly surprised that I agree with someone as much as I do with you. The only ones that I disagree with are the Hornets, Golden Knights (I love their logo, but not the name), and that DCU and Columbus need to update (they both made a massive upgrade in 2016 and 2015, respectively).

I am aware that DCU and Columbus updated recently, but that doesn't change my opinion on their logos. I can't quite place why, but their logos just look outdated. It's strange.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 1/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

The Yankees logo is bad. Just switch to the NY logo.

Note to Cleveland, Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh, and San Diego: just letters without any sort of design looks bad as a primary.

thinking-face.png

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

thinking-face.png

Brush it off. This person didn’t know that the Steelers’ logo was pertinent to the steel industry, for cryin’ out loud. Much to learn. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/1/2018 at 6:09 PM, Ben in LA said:

The Steelers logo is based on the Steelmark logo belonging to the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI). ... The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steelscrap.”

600px-Steelmark_logo.svg.png

Shows how much the steel industry has weakened in the past 60 years - that logo was recognizable by most Americans back when the Steelers logo was created in the 60's. I'm glad the Steelers are keeping it in the public conscious though. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

There's probably a place for piping and side panels on football uniforms. Certainly not for most teams though, and I'm not entirely clear on where that place is, but there probably is one.

Before it was wildly overdone by schools nationwide, I thought the Broncos 97 set was really creative and well-designed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Before it was wildly overdone by schools nationwide, I thought the Broncos 97 set was really creative and well-designed.

Looking back, it was - and side panels can look good when they are an extension of the pants stripe, as long as they line up neatly. At the time, though, I was crushed (no pun intended) by the departure of their previous set, which was and is one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 1

I like Red Bull New York/the New York Red Bulls' identity. I don't care if I don't even know the proper name of the team :P I just like the whole identity. It works for me, given naming conventions in soccer.

That it replaced another corporate name helps too.

• Like 4

On 12/31/2017 at 10:49 PM, Rocky Raccoon said:

The Bills-Dolphins game looked really awesome with both teams wearing their old school uniforms.

It did, but here is my unpopular opinion:

I don't understand the love for the Bills' old "standing buffalo" logo. The "charging buffalo" they've used for so long looks dynamic and fast. The standing one looks clunky and slow, and they were terrible during the time it was their main logo. The biggest highlight of its time involved one of the biggest douchebags in league history. 

• Like 7

On 2018-01-05 at 8:43 AM, ScubaSteve said:

I think the Carolina Panthers' jerseys are clunky and outdated. I didn't realize I was in the minority. But apparently a lot of people consider them modern classics

I'm in total agreement. I also think silver completely ruins the look. It would be so much cleaner and better with just white-Carolina blue-black

• Like 3