Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Colorwerx, out of curiosity, how does the new Bucs silver compare to the silver/chrome used in the pro bowl numerals? Might those have been a test run for new uniforms?

At this point, I would be fairly shocked if we didn't see a "chrome" element on the uniforms.

Hey Colorwerx, out of curiosity, how does the new Bucs silver compare to the silver/chrome used in the pro bowl numerals? Might those have been a test run for new uniforms?

At this point, I would be fairly shocked if we didn't see a "chrome" element on the uniforms.

I actually don't have graphics for those Pro Bowl uniforms...hmmmm...

My issue with the new pirate ship, which is otherwise a nice upgrade, is the bow wave. It looks more like decorative scrollwork and nothing like a bow wave at all.

My thoughts exactly. The old, abstract-to-the-point-of-looking-like-clip-art ship logo didn't have any waves, and I think they flopped on this attempt. Other than that though the ship is the highlight of the new look.

1049.gifBucs-Logo.png

EDIT: I sympathize with everyone who's disappointed that the NFL seems to be moving more towards illustrations, which the ship logo is entirely emblematic of, but for secondary logos I don't have as much of a problem with this, and in fact think that should be the place where a team tries a more unusual look anyways.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

The new ship is nice, but there is just too much going on for a tiny little sleeve/shoulder logo. I hope they don't put it on there. Of course, I felt the same way about the old ship and it was on the sleeves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I see Buc's point about too much going on and his and others points about just doing the skull and cross-swords. (Cutlasses...thanks!)

I wonder though, if the Bucs don't consider removing the flag an option because just a skull/swords may be to Raideresque.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

To weigh in on the previous Jolly Roger discussion, Jolly Rogers were hand-made, meaning they didn't have shading.

jolly-roger.png

I'd love to see someone find me a Jolly Roger with more than two colours (white and black or white and red, etc)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I am someone who was critical of the old logo. I thought the skull was too poorly rendered with its jaggedness. However, I think that was only because of the giant black stroke around it, which made even less sense since the skull and cross-swords were never isolated as their own logo. Ths new logo eliminates that huge outline, but brings a lot of other problems. The old flag was better. The old sword was better, as the blade looks far too fat for that handle. I agree that the old skull flowed better with the flag, while the new one looks like someone pasted the new one onto a flag in photoshop. They made the skull and swords symmetrical, which took away from the flow. That would make sense if they planned on using just the skull and swords as an alternate logo, but they don't, so it makes the logo worse for no reason.

Also, the skull looks bad. As was said, it's a good illustration, but it's far too polished to work in this situation. It doesn't need the shading. It's a :censored:ing flag. Pirate flags didn't have photographs or paintings on them. The less detail, the better. Also, there's just something about the skull that I hate. To me, it looks like every other logo someone makes for his fantasy football team. There's just something so unprofessional I can't pin down.

The helmet is bad. I do like the new shade of pewter, but it's silly come come up with a great, unique color, and then cover the entire thing with a logo. It's also bad that the logo is so huge that it will be cut off at some point by pretty much every helmet other than the classic Riddells which aren't worn all that much anymore. The chrome part is really bad. It just doesn't go with this helmet. It looks like the Bucs said "Oh, kids like chrome. Yeah, put some chrome on it." "But you already use pewter." "Eh, pewter, chrome, close enough." It looks like it's trying to match the pewter, but failing miserably. It's too close, but too far. And the added chrome outline on the logo, in an effort to excuse the facemask ("oh ya we meant to make it look like that"), makes the logo look worse.

The ship logos is a good illustration, but it's far too detailed to work as a secondary logo, particularly if it will remain on the sleeves. It's much too vertical, and will look bad when reproduced in small spots. While the previous logo was a little too crude, I really like how the skull looked on it (partly because the giant outline disappeared). The new one is much too polished.

The wordmark is bad. I realize that I'm an outlier in liking the previous one. However, the new one sucks. Awkward angles, akward slash, just all around bad. At least the old one fit in with the entire package. The new one looks like they took an already-made font which they thought looked modern yet tough,and added the slash on the A, entirely out of the character with the other letters, just so they could kinda tie it in with the old wordmark which kept true to the entire set.

So, I consider every aspect of this a downgrade. Not gigantic downgrades, but in my opinion there's not a single thing better from this, other than possibly the shade of pewter on the helmets.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

i'm not going to go back and read the last 50+ pages, but after seeing the new look. I absolutely love it. Wordmark is a slight down grade but the helmet and logos are solid all around. The more I see the logos together the more I like them. I was worried this was going to be a nikefied pro bowl level disaster and was pleasantly surprised how this turned out.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I'd love to see someone find me a Jolly Roger with more than two colours (white and black or white and red, etc)

I think you already did:

a_jollylol.png

;)

Seriously though, I think the shading is a problem, especially when looking at the Jaguars' logo last year. The issues are largely the same: some structural issues (that could/should have been corrected in the editing process) and some odd (i.e., the "clip-arty" complaint) shading choices.

I wonder how both of these logos ended up so similar, stylistically. Are both done by NFL Properties, or is the league acting as a guiding hand with whatever designer/studio is making them? And if the answer to either of those is yes, then I assume a number of teams will be seeing very similar makeovers in this light over the next few years. I can't say I like it :(

Ugh.

Just...no...

Why? The old look was so much better.

Almost makes me question my fandom.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Might as well toss this in...my high school's nickname was also the Buccaneers. Though it has since changed, they had what I thought was one of the best looking helmets I've ever seen. Mike from the excellent MGhelmets.com made this rendering for me. It's a modern template but that's the late '70s color scheme and logo of my old alma mater, West Jefferson High in Marrero, LA.

skullom8.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived