Historic Moments That You Were Able To See In Person

Tigers6884

I was able to see Drew Brees break Marino's all-time passing record back in 2011. This was actually my first game at the Superdome as well so quite the occasion to go to. And while they may not be great games, I was able to go to two of the three games that the Saints played at the Alamodome in 2005. Of course we lost the Detroit game at the last second on Christmas Eve but...well, what can you do.

GR30a5H.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my visit yesterday to Toledo see the Mud Hens battle the Charlotte Knights, I was fortunate enough to witness Mike Hessman tie the record for the most homeruns in International League history. What I thought was really cool was that he not only tied it on Ghostbusters jersey night, be was able to do so during my very first Mud Hens game. So that got me thinking, what historic moments have you guys been able to see in person at sporting events?

Is that really historic though? Nobody wants to set the record for most HR in the minor leagues - all it means is that you weren't good enough to ever make the major leagues. It's kind of an embarrassing record when you think about it.

a minor league record is anything but historic, the bar was set low.

With my visit yesterday to Toledo see the Mud Hens battle the Charlotte Knights, I was fortunate enough to witness Mike Hessman tie the record for the most homeruns in International League history. What I thought was really cool was that he not only tied it on Ghostbusters jersey night, be was able to do so during my very first Mud Hens game. So that got me thinking, what historic moments have you guys been able to see in person at sporting events?

Is that really historic though? Nobody wants to set the record for most HR in the minor leagues - all it means is that you weren't good enough to ever make the major leagues. It's kind of an embarrassing record when you think about it.

a minor league record is anything but historic, the bar was set low.

He broke Crash Davis' HR record?

I saw Ken Griffey Jr.'s first minor league and major league home run...

Was at U.S.-Colombia when Andres Escobar scored the goal that eventually got him killed...

Other than that, I've seen a lot of games where something significant happened, but not on a major scale. A lot of debuts or team records, etc...

That's one way to look at it. I think a AAA career that lasted long enough to set a HR record is still a pretty good baseball career. Yeah, he never made the major leagues, but he still played professional baseball at a pretty high level long enough to set a career HR record. It's not like AAA baseball is just a step above rec league softball or something.

If the giant spaghetti monster in the sky showed up and offered me a chance to go back in time and play AAA baseball long enough to set the IL career HR record, I'd take that deal.

BB52Big.jpg

That's one way to look at it. I think a AAA career that lasted long enough to set a HR record is still a pretty good baseball career. Yeah, he never made the major leagues, but he still played professional baseball at a pretty high level long enough to set a career HR record. It's not like AAA baseball is just a step above rec league softball or something.

If the giant spaghetti monster in the sky showed up and offered me a chance to go back in time and play AAA baseball long enough to set the IL career HR record, I'd take that deal.

Mike Hessman (the guy who tied the record) would make a great DH for the Tigers if Victor Martinez got hurt or something. Heck, if Hessman wasn't near the end of his career, he could play third base because he's a better hitter than Detroit's rookie, Nick Castellanos. I belief that minor league records are historic even though the big leagues are way above them in terms of skill. You have to remember that the International League has been around since the mid 1880s, so that's a lot of players who have come and gone through that system. Hessman has hit over 400 home runs through his career, and 400 home runs at any level of professional baseball is pretty significant to me. Sure, Mike Hessman made only a few appearances in the MLB, but he's contributed to whatever team he's played for, which is good enough for me.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Big leaguers aren't "way above" AAA players in terms of skill. Good AAA players can do all the things a big leaguer can do, they just can't do them consistently enough to stay on a major league roster. That is the biggest difference between a career in MLB and a career in the minors.

BB52Big.jpg

Big leaguers aren't "way above" AAA players in terms of skill. Good AAA players can do all the things a big leaguer can do, they just can't do them consistently enough to stay on a major league roster. That is the biggest difference between a career in MLB and a career in the minors.

Well said.

I suppose the biggest moment was Ron Dayne breaking Ricky Williams's all-time rushing record. Other milestones include:

• Final Twins regular season game (Game 163 of 2009) and playoff game (and, therefore, game) at the Metrodome
  • First playoff game at Target Field
  • First Timberwolves regular season home game
  • Last UW basketball game at the Fieldhouse and first game at the Kohl Center
  • Kirby Puckett's six-for-six day in Milwaukee, 1987...an annual trip I took with my dad and Uncle (who successfully boycotted the Dome for 29 years)
  • Melvin Gordon breaking the single-game rushing record (re-broken one week later)
  • 2011 NCAA Hockey Championship (UMD over Michigan)

Wow...all the games I've been to and not much that really matters...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I suppose the biggest moment was Ron Dayne breaking Ricky Williams's all-time rushing record. Other milestones include:

• Final Twins regular season game (Game 163 of 2009) and playoff game (and, therefore, game) at the Metrodome
  • First playoff game at Target Field
  • First Timberwolves regular season home game
  • Last UW basketball game at the Fieldhouse and first game at the Kohl Center
Wow...all the games I've been to and not much that really matters...

I'd say going to a stadium's last game is pretty significant. As is a stadium's first playoff game.

October 4, 1997

Kentucky beats Alabama for the first time in 75 years ...the game was amazing and Couch had a great game (355 yards, 4TD's including the game winner) and it sure was fun running on the field and watching the fans tear down the goal posts.

spacer.png

First game at Camden Yards (preseason against the Mets).

First regular season game at M&T Bank Stadium.

Last Lafayette-Lehigh game at Lehigh's old Taylor Stadium. Not a big deal to most, but a big event in the history of The Most Played Rivalry in College Football.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I was at the final game the Montreal Expos ever played and the Nets final game in New Jersey.

The final game at Shea, the first official game at Citi Field. amd the first game ever at the Prudential Center

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Which is the reason the term "AAAA" player exists: players too good for AAA but not good enough to make The Show.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived