The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

Further proof as to why relegating Minnesota and Colorado to "Stadium Series" games will only hurt the Winter Classic in the long run. You need to freshen up the WC rotation to keep the thing fresh and exciting. Holding the "olde tyme iced hockey" game in sunny Washington DC didn't help either.

Yeah, it just felt like they got the game because they were the only city out east not to have one yet. Minnesota and Denver should absolutely be next.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It had no build-up, but at least it was an entertaining game to watch.

I agree. It was a good game. Probably the best ice coniditions and best technically executed outdoor game so far.

Billy Joel, however, appeared gassed and ready to pass out. I thought he looked winded singing "White Wedding" in the pregame.

Further proof as to why relegating Minnesota and Colorado to "Stadium Series" games will only hurt the Winter Classic in the long run. You need to freshen up the WC rotation to keep the thing fresh and exciting. Holding the "olde tyme iced hockey" game in sunny Washington DC didn't help either

But don't you see?

NBC...and...Crosby!...and...Ovie!...and...Flyers!...and...Red Wings!...and...Rangers!...and..."Bawstan!"...and..."Shicawgaw!"

The NBC rotation isn't anything new, really. ESPN would cycle through the Avs, Stars, Flyers, Rangers, Devils, and Red Wings when they had the rights. I mean I get it. There are certain marquee teams you want to focus on. Could NBC stand to expand their "rotation"? Yeah, but having one isn't necessarily a problem.

The Winter Classic, however, shouldn't be subjected to that. You're already limited by markets that both have large enough outdoor stadiums and that can plausibly be passed off as "traditional hockey markets." You don't need to limit it further by keeping it between the same select teams. Adding locales like the Twin Cities and Denver (as well as cutting out Washington because seriously? It didn't even look that cold) would freshen things up and keep the excitement up around the league by adding more locations. NBC can still have their preferred markets but the WC should be its own thing.

If the league is still doing this in four or five years I can see the support being there for putting one in Columbus in Ohio Stadium. We'll have a couple cups by then (JK), but Columbus fandom doesn't look like it's going to get worse and by 2019, 2020 I think it'll have grown to necessary levels. If they play Detroit (OSU-Michigan connection!) or Pittsburgh (thousands of a$$holes live in and within driving distance of Columbus) then I think they could fill it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Billy Joel, however, appeared gassed and ready to pass out. I thought he looked winded singing "White Wedding" in the pregame.

oh this is some restaurant-quality dbad right here

Further proof as to why relegating Minnesota and Colorado to "Stadium Series" games will only hurt the Winter Classic in the long run. You need to freshen up the WC rotation to keep the thing fresh and exciting. Holding the "olde tyme iced hockey" game in sunny Washington DC didn't help either.

It may be evidence that "stadium series" games have already watered the whole thing down. Having that one outdoor game a year is special. Yeah, people in Minnesota will go to a stadium series game in February at -2 degrees Fahrenheit (which it gets to most days) but the New Year's Day game was all about getting some TV viewership and drawing attention to the NHL in the US. For me, it's always been secondary to the bowls but I flip to it some...this year I did not...I did not even think about it...someone like me needs to get drawn in by the hype. It was either the least publicized of all or I was just not watching NBC enough.

It seems like it may be too much of a good thing to have more outdoor games. I think one per year was the way to go...New Year's day is about college bowls, but really most US sports fans are thinking about the NFL...the game draws decent viewership.

I'd be really curious to see how yesterday's game drew on TV vs. past years. Certainly, my "gut" reaction that there was less buzz this year could be wrong...

And obviously, my "gut" reaction that once a year is enough may be wrong too. But it seems to me that once a year may be the way to go. And Minnesota is probably not a place to hold the game...the perpetually-mediocre Wild are not a draw and I don't think outdoor hockey in the state where older generations grew up skating on ponds is a huge draw nationally. Focus on the teams and players that draw.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

David Perron to Pittsburgh for Rob Klinkhammer and their 1st round pick in 2015

Look, Edmonton, I understand you want a nice pick, and I appreciate the idea of trading for a 1st rounder, but Pittsburgh's gonna have, like, the 26th pick. That's not worth one of your best players. Well, at least we have the best name in hockey now.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

David Perron to Pittsburgh for Rob Klinkhammer and their 1st round pick in 2015

Look, Edmonton, I understand you want a nice pick, and I appreciate the idea of trading for a 1st rounder, but Pittsburgh's gonna have, like, the 26th pick. That's not worth one of your best players. Well, at least we have the best name in hockey now.

Klinkhammer's a stud, and he can do anything but score.

I guess I owe some of those locals here in the Windy City an apology for calling them bandwagoners, because clearly the tide to glorychase isn't as unique to them as I thought. I watched highlights of Nucks/Kings last night and the amount of cheering to the Kings sneaking that win out was just weird. Mainly because I remember watching that series back in 2011 and recalling nowhere near that many cheers when LA scored on the road. Funny how winning things does that, huh?

With that in mind, I still feel frontrunning is a shady act to commit as a sports fan, but see it's more of a human characteristic now and not explicit to certain fanbases, so for that, I have amended my views.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

With Versteeg out due to injury, the Blackhawks called up wunderkind center Teuvo Teräväinen. I look forward to Quenneville giving him 6 minutes a night on the wing alongside Andrew Shaw.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You know, the only thing I miss about Macs is being able to type diacritics with ease. Now I practically have to remove a rib and suck my own dick just to put a cedille on a c.

This is a good move because Teravainen kind of looks like Versteeg, so maybe Richards and Kane won't even notice. He should be on a wing, though, just not Shaw's, because like Shaw, I want him gaining the line ahead of the centerman. I don't feel good about putting a flyweight like Teravainen at center. I can't wait till we get Antoine Vermette and have four real-ass dudes down the middle.

It may not have been a popular choice, but there's some validity in Admiral's calling Columbus a bad team.

Ok, a 10-1-1 stretch is good. It's also not a sustainable pace (collecting a possible 87% of points just doesn't have lasting power...the current points leader Ducks are collecting 69% of their possible points). And that run still has them 9 points out of a playoff spot, 12th in the East, and 24th in the league in total points....and they've played 5 more home games than road games. It gets tougher to pass teams higher in the standings...not only are the teams better, they're also playing each other, which means someone above you in the standings will be getting points, if not both teams.

Assuming the East teams stay on pace, Toronto is gonna be the 8th seed, at about 95 points. Columbus is on pace for 82, which means Columbus needs to get 7 more wins than Toronto the rest of the way (which is 60 points, or collecting 64% of their remaining points available), and hope no one around them in the standings goes on a similar 10-wins-in-12-games run. A 64% points collection percentage is about what the Blues have done to date. Does Columbus have a legit chance to go on a 22-12-3 tear in the second half?

I'm going to guess they finish with 88 points. That seems like a customary finish for a good team that falls apart but pieces itself back together a day late and a dollar short.

I don't care if you call Columbus a good, bad or whatever team, but I don't think Philly and Columbus should be in different categories. Columbus seems equal or better, except that their goal differential is 10 worse over 35 games.

Admiral, if Philadelphia finishes ahead of Columbus, I'll buy you a bag of those gumdrops you seem to love so much.

With that in mind, I still feel frontrunning is a shady act to commit as a sports fan, but see it's more of a human characteristic now and not explicit to certain fanbases, so for that, I have amended my views.

There's nothing wrong with being a fairweather fan, why should you subject yourself to misery? Why should you support a a franchise without fail, no team thinks they owe their fans that same loyalty. Hell, some teams might be better off if people packed up and left en masse through periods of incompetence.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived