2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

The fix Vancouver needs to make is so simple. As Big Bubba said; the full bodied Johnny Canuck logo is too awkwardly shaped and cartoonish to serve as a main logo. As so many teams have proved, simple is effective when it comes to a good crest and the Canucks already have the perfect logo for that job. It has history, goes nicely with the striping and represents the Canucks namesake in a more abstract way. Kind of like how the Bruins have a "B" incased in a "Hub" (of the universe) as opposed to a bear.

UbrYXOF.jpg6NoONV1.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just paste Johnny Canuck on top of the rectangle from the stick-in-rink if he's too awkwardly-shaped. Putting logos on top of simple geometric shapes seems to fix them. Also, it seems to be a prevalent opinion to love the skating penguin, but also call Johnny Canuck "too cartoony". I don't pay attention to know if it's the same people spouting both views, though. If anything, they're too similar.

64.png

dmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.png

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.png

36ai6de8ef0svi6hiugcgpwjl.png

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.png

That Canucks sweater is proof of why Johnny Canuck should never be featured on a sweater. It's far too detailed, awkwardly-shaped, and cartoony.

For the first time in their history, Vancouver has a great colour scheme with a serviceable logo. While still flawed, they have the basis of a good identity. The absolute last thing they need is to start experimenting with new looks.

A hockey crest is the perfect place for a detailed logo. It's a big enough space for all the detail to come out. The full-bodied Johnny Canuck isn't any more detailed than the Wings, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Predators, Penguins or Sharks crests.

full sized johnny would be one of the best logos in sports.

Just paste Johnny Canuck on top of the rectangle from the stick-in-rink if he's too awkwardly-shaped. Putting logos on top of simple geometric shapes seems to fix them. Also, it seems to be a prevalent opinion to love the skating penguin, but also call Johnny Canuck "too cartoony". I don't pay attention to know if it's the same people spouting both views, though. If anything, they're too similar.

64.png

dmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.png

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.png

36ai6de8ef0svi6hiugcgpwjl.png

fqsaneuuzbmiftlbsyuv5htof.png

There is a video on the Canucks website that shows rookie forward, Bo Horvat training with the Canucks' strength and conditioning coach. On the coach's T-shirt is the Skating Johnny Canuck in a roundel. It actually looks pretty good.

I would definitely try Johnny Canuck in the Rink. I think it would cover all the bases for a strong and recognizable identity

With logos like Pittsburgh's, the mascot is anchored by a background object. With this, Johnny is awkwardly shoehorned into a roundel, with part of him poking out into the front layer and another part (the bottom-left) magically disappearing behind it. It's just a poor design.

I think that anchoring JC with the rink would be better, but still far from desirable. The rink's rectangular shape wouldn't work too well, and it won't change that Johnny simply isn't a very strong logo.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Nah. That's actually a great way to handle putting Johnny in a roundel. I'd get rid of the VC and put Vancouver and in place of the strength and conditioning, and use that as a starting point for a new identity.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Did a quick mock-up of full-bodied Johnny Canuck in front of the Millionaires V. No matter what the size of Johnny Canuck in front of the V (I might have him too big as it is now), I agree with Lee in that Johnny Canuck in the roundel like they have it in the Strength & Conditioning logo would be the best place to start.

8RBoQj4.png

8prlQWA.png

Full-bodied Johnny does need to be anchored by something much like Pittsburgh's logo. I'm lukewarm on the idea of him on the jersey. I think the V-head logo would be a better option, it just needs to be edited better, so that the V looks like its part of his shirt or something.

I don't know if I like the VC as a shoulder patch. It's too similar to Chicago's tomahawk C. I'd use the Millionaires V instead.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived