2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LXh79zp.jpg

8TbJ492.jpg

If there was ever proof of this 'retro fad' crossing the line into sheer ridiculousness, this is it. The above moments? Never happened.

Who the hell is actually suggesting that?

yeah this isn't the teal Pistons trying to distance themselves from the Bad Boys era.

They've made a few missteps out of tone-deafness/bad taste, but they still more or less look like the same franchise. This isn't a deliberate attempt to whitewash an era like the example I cited above.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If there was ever proof of this 'retro fad' crossing the line into sheer ridiculousness, this is it. The above moments? Never happened.

yeah this isn't the teal Pistons trying to distance themselves from the Bad Boys era.

They've made a few missteps out of tone-deafness/bad taste, but they still more or less look like the same franchise. This isn't a deliberate attempt to whitewash an era like the example I cited above.

Well, you are advocating the trashing of an identity that won two championships in 6 years so they can essentially play recoloured "Rockies" dress up. The new alternate isn't even burgundy. You can't just wipe an established identity clean, after 20 years, because retro logos are in vogue...

Well, you are advocating the trashing of an identity that won two championships in 6 years so they can essentially play recoloured "Rockies" dress up. The new alternate isn't even burgundy. You can't just wipe an established identity clean, after 20 years, because retro logos are in vogue...

I'm not advocating that. Ice Cap is. But even still the Rockies ripoff, which I think is a garbage logo, is just an alternate. Let's not put the cart before the horse and just assume they're going to base an entire identity off of that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Please.

I don't care about the NHL Rockies. At all. I wasn't alive when they were active and I have no ties to Colorado. I don't care about ensuring that the Rockies are honoured.

What I want is for the Avalanche to have a logo that doesn't look like it would be at home on the side of a Big Gulp of some alternate flavour of Mountain Dew. Or look like one of the more objectionable parts of the human body.

The new alternate logo fulfills both those requirements. It's clean and it's bold. It looks cool. That it homages the Rockies' logo? It's a neat extra. Something to play up in the marketing. It is not the reason why I want to see it become the primary.

Now admiral brought up the possibility of redesigning the current primary, to keep the current concept without the excess 90s-ness. I'm open to that. If the choices are between the current primary and the new alternate though? I'm choosing the latter.

It's ludicrous to accuse them of playing "Rockies Dress-Up." The Rockies wore royal blue, red, and athletic gold. The new Avs alternate in question? Navy blue, burgundy, and silver. No one's confusing one for the other. Certainly not here, where the tiniest of details are nitpicked.

None of this, absolutely none of it, is an attempt to white-wash two Stanley Cup Championships from history. I don't see a single G-ddamn person suggesting that. Not even among the defenders of the current identity, yourself excluded. So calm down and stop overreacting to what amounts to a personal preference of one logo over another.

1970s hockey logos can't melt steel beams. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The new alternate is as different from the teams established look as the derided Sabres "Slug" uniforms were from their beloved royal blue and gold duds. Different primary colour, logo in a completely different style, and a striping pattern that doesn't resemble anything they've worn in their history. Hell, the only common threads between the two are the use of burgundy and silver outlines around the logo. It's not at all unreasonable to think making a switch to this look, full time, would be an encroachment on their identity and history. I will say the new uniform is growing on me. It's easily the best alternate uniform they've ever had, and I hope it sticks around... As an alternate. I just think it's too different from what were used to seeing them wear to be adapted full time.

Also really struggling to find the current logo's resemblance to an objectionable body part. Or the two soft drink products you mentioned...

UcO0YdF.jpgqwzc60E.jpg

None of this, absolutely none of it, is an attempt to white-wash two Stanley Cup Championships from history. I don't see a single G-ddamn person suggesting that. Not even among the defenders of the current identity, yourself excluded. So calm down and stop overreacting to what amounts to a personal preference of one logo over another.

Yeah, this.

I know sports logos can engender irrational passion in fans of the teams, but still... this.

I don't know... It sure feels like they are getting rid of the A logo.

It is not on their home ice at all. That is really odd to me.

They added a new "C" logo, placed it on their shoulders. They introduced a new "C in Mountain" logo and made it their crest on the new third. They got a Stadium Series jersey and used the new "C" logo instead of the normal "A." Those all sound like moves to change the branding away from the "A" logo.

Have their been any other SS jerseys to not feature the teams main crest, but rather a secondary logo?

Plus, the Stadium Series jerseys feature the modified numeral font also used on the new 3rd. That's what they want to showcase; that's where they're headed.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't know... It sure feels like they are getting rid of the A logo.

It is not on their home ice at all. That is really odd to me.

They added a new "C" logo, placed it on their shoulders. They introduced a new "C in Mountain" logo and made it their crest on the new third. They got a Stadium Series jersey and used the new "C" logo instead of the normal "A." Those all sound like moves to change the branding away from the "A" logo.

Have their been any other SS jerseys to not feature the teams main crest, but rather a secondary logo?

*Sigh*

Given how badly they've botched every uniform decision they've made since 2007, this is not at all surprising. I think regardless of what direction they choose to go in, the current primary uniforms will be a one off. Those new shoulder patches don't even fit.

I'll be completely honest; I am very excited about the Canucks wearing the spaghetti jerseys this season.

Other than the "interesting" logo those were honestly the best jerseys the Canucks have ever had.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

mason-mask.jpg

Steve Mason's new mask showing Flyers old-timers as zombies

For anyone on here that watches the anime, Bleach, that old guy with 3/4 of a mask looks like a vizord. XD

DX8BbLZ.png

While not a huge fan of these, they are easily the best Avs jersey on sale in years.

If the numbers weren't so huge, I know why they are, it would actually be a decent sweater.

I don't get the hate for this jersey, especially since it is a Stadium Series jersey, which they are now famous for usually not turning out very great. After last year's pajamas and two years of chrome and carbon-fiber crests, the logos will finally be normal logos for the very first time. This is a simple look that is a hell of a lot better than their current road jersey. I don't love it either but I definitely don't hate it, that's for sure.

Please.

I don't care about the NHL Rockies. At all. I wasn't alive when they were active and I have no ties to Colorado. I don't care about ensuring that the Rockies are honoured.

The new alternate logo fulfills both those requirements. It's clean and it's bold. It looks cool. That it homages the Rockies' logo? It's a neat extra. Something to play up in the marketing. It is not the reason why I want to see it become the primary.

Now admiral brought up the possibility of redesigning the current primary, to keep the current concept without the excess 90s-ness. I'm open to that. If the choices are between the current primary and the new alternate though? I'm choosing the latter.

It's ludicrous to accuse them of playing "Rockies Dress-Up." The Rockies wore royal blue, red, and athletic gold. The new Avs alternate in question? Navy blue, burgundy, and silver. No one's confusing one for the other. Certainly not here, where the tiniest of details are nitpicked.

I definitely side with Ice Cap on this one. For anyone to say this is a whitewash attempt is going a bit too far. With this argument, should the Penguins keep their current Reebok crap because they won a Cup in it? What about the Kings? Their jerseys are nothing special either. Nowhere near as bad as Pittsburgh but they have won two Cups with it so far. Should the Kings keep their current look forever too? Even as a Canuck fan and someone who likes the Millionaires jersey, I would never want to see the Canucks switch to that jersey cause the Millionaires won a Stanley Cup. What I'm saying is that just because a team wins the Stanley Cup with a certain uniform, doesn't mean it should be kept, at least in my personal opinion.

I'll be completely honest; I am very excited about the Canucks wearing the spaghetti jerseys this season.

Other than the "interesting" logo those were honestly the best jerseys the Canucks have ever had.

I can't wait to see it back on the ice myself. I also think it is the best they have worn.

The Kings, a couple years ago?

The Islanders as well, (I miss their S.S. jersey, thanks Brooklyn.) but M4One beat me to the punch as I was writing this comment. :P

If we're talking primary logos, the Rangers' SS jersey counts too, since the wordmark is their primary look but it's not their primary logo.

Yes, I am that guy.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived