Ask A Moderator

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

Just curious, but what determines when a topic is marked as "hot"? I'm assuming it's a certain amount of posts within a given timeframe but just wondering what that is.

From what I can see in the back end, 10 replies within the past 60 minutes puts a topic into the "Popular Now" list that will show up at the bottom of pages, and I can't recall seeing a topic in "Popular Now" that wasn't "HOT!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for my lash out. Quarantine is kicking my ass and that guy in particular was getting under my skin. I never lied. I’ve got a friend who is a professional photographer who has shot things (and I’m telling you, the Chargers new uniforms are a different shade, it looks periwinkle. it will be a huge discussion on these boards) but I apologize for my behavior and I won’t share any more things whether they be promotion or fact from my friend.

• 1 month later...

Am I doing something wrong when I try to embed a tweet? everytime I think I do it, I end up with this: 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We. Are. Done. <br>Thank you to everyone for their positive comments, follows, retweets and likes. Can’t wait to watch all of our favorite MLB teams live again. <a href="https://t.co/V9BN5srHmQ">pic.twitter.com/V9BN5srHmQ</a></p>&mdash; Ross Yoshida (@RYDesignLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/RYDesignLA/status/1258590507829063681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AmPJ0Ty.png 

37 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Am I doing something wrong when I try to embed a tweet? everytime I think I do it, I end up with this: 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We. Are. Done. <br>Thank you to everyone for their positive comments, follows, retweets and likes. Can’t wait to watch all of our favorite MLB teams live again. <a href="https://t.co/V9BN5srHmQ">pic.twitter.com/V9BN5srHmQ</a></p>&mdash; Ross Yoshida (@RYDesignLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/RYDesignLA/status/1258590507829063681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 8, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You only need to copy and paste the http address into the reply window and it'll automatically add it as a Twitter post. However, if you're on a phone, I don't know how to get the twitter address.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

36 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

You don't need any special embed code. Just copy and paste the URL for the tweet into the reply box, but you don't the ? or anything after. 

On 5/8/2020 at 1:53 PM, officeglenn said:

You don't need any special embed code. Just copy and paste the URL for the tweet into the reply box, but you don't the ? or anything after. 

perfect. thank you 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

What's the deal with the Fantasy Sports section on these boards? They are completely barren except for the one La Liga Soccer thing. Also you can't make threads for like your own personal story. Is it supposed to be like the Sports Fanfiction sub-section that got nuked a year ago? Why is it different from any other concept threads? Would like answers on this.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

43 minutes ago, Bruhammydude said:

What's the deal with the Fantasy Sports section on these boards? They are completely barren except for the one La Liga Soccer thing. Also you can't make threads for like your own personal story. Is it supposed to be like the Sports Fanfiction sub-section that got nuked a year ago? Why is it different from any other concept threads? Would like answers on this.

No, that's for actual fantasy sports leagues on the boards. It's not meant to be like Sports Fan Fiction or concept threads.

Members must have 500 posts in order to view that section of the boards; there has been a 500-post minimum on fantasy league membership here on the boards for years, so that people don't sign up just for that. I'm not sure why the La Liga one is showing if you're under 500 posts, though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:

No, that's for actual fantasy sports leagues on the boards. It's not meant to be like Sports Fan Fiction or concept threads.

Members must have 500 posts in order to view that section of the boards; there has been a 500-post minimum on fantasy league membership here on the boards for years, so that people don't sign up just for that. I'm not sure why the La Liga one is showing if you're under 500 posts, though. 

Oh, I've seen the La liga threads since they were first introduced

Edit: Now I can't see them anymore, I don't really care cause I'm 30 posts away lol

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

• 1 month later...

So are we just never going to be able to discuss this whole Washington name change thing? Because I totally understand not wanting random NFL (or MLB in terms of Cleveland) threads derailed by posts about Washington when it's unrelated to the topic at hand, but there are actually things going on right now related to the name.

If something does happen, are we going to be able to discuss it?

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

I mean I'm not a mod but you (and I) have been around long enough to know that this topic always goes bad. 1 bad apple truly does spoil the bunch in these cases (granted, we usually find more than 1 bad apple). 

It's the whole "this is why we can't have nice things".....thing

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/3/2020 at 10:57 AM, monkeypower said:

So are we just never going to be able to discuss this whole Washington name change thing? Because I totally understand not wanting random NFL (or MLB in terms of Cleveland) threads derailed by posts about Washington when it's unrelated to the topic at hand, but there are actually things going on right now related to the name.

If something does happen, are we going to be able to discuss it?

If and when the name does change, then we can have a thread on it, but it will be kept on a very short leash. Until then, it's all speculation that leads down roads we've been down before.

EDIT: This applies to if and when the Cleveland MLB team changes its name too.

Edited by officeglenn

This is an unprecedented situation, considering we're (not) talking about the real possibility that a team might do an entire rebrand (a real rebrand) less than two months before the season starts.  Just the logistics involved alone might be worth discussing.  Also considering there's articles everywhere about how the coach is saying that he's involved and that they're down to two choices (or maybe just that there's two that he likes), it's getting real close to when a thread is needed.  Eventually, closing threads and responding to questions about starting threads might become more work than just policing one.

Totally understand and the reasons behind disallowing the discussion and support that decision, but it may be time to rip off the band-aid and just hope not too much blood leaks out.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

We’ll allow for discussion once the change actually happens but for now we’re dealing with every single thread about the subject being taken over by disingenuous straw man arguments that cause the whole thing to descend into a firey hellscape.  We’ve even had to start cracking down on concept threads since we’ve had three for the Washington rebrand that have become troll targets.

We are though going to be taking a harder line in general when it comes to issues that are made political for no reason whatsoever.

VmWIn6B.png

17 hours ago, LMU said:

We’ll allow for discussion once the change actually happens but for now we’re dealing with every single thread about the subject being taken over by disingenuous straw man arguments that cause the whole thing to descend into a firey hellscape.  We’ve even had to start cracking down on concept threads since we’ve had three for the Washington rebrand that have become troll targets.

We are though going to be taking a harder line in general when it comes to issues that are made political for no reason whatsoever.

I understand this.  History has been really bad to these discussions.  Given that there is a real social movement going on that's related to our topic at hand, I really feel we should be talking about this, including whether name changes are necessary for Washington and others.  It just seems crazy that we've eliminated so much of what's relevant to this discussion, to the point we have to pretend the world is a different place.  The Washington change is probably going to be driven by the current name...whether they go with a "lesser" native name or totally abandon...and "why they are selecting this name for the rebrand" is an important part of the discussion.  I wonder whether we can even get through that.

I suppose the board doesn't have a feature that enables moderators to stop individuals from posting in specific threads...That would be best to weed out the clowns and incentivize civility.  I think it's an interesting and important topic with tons of nuance (not the Washington name but the spinoffs) and this is the place I'd like to be talking about it. I know I've lost this argument (well, I never had it) but I'd like to have it talked about even if it means mods are quick with suspensions.

EDIT/Late Add: I don't love the politics ban, but it's not like I can't go find a place on the internet to have these talks. It's not important that this board be the place to talk about that kinda stuff. However, this board is the ideal place to discuss this potential issue.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This board should be the place to discuss the team colors, nickname, uniform design, etc - and nothing more.  The political threads were the worst thing about the forums.  

I don’t want to post about how much I love their new shade of burgundy, just to have to go through 3 pages of “PC police!” and “ignorant redneck!” just to follow up on it. There’s members here that I legit don’t like or respect because their views on certain topics have been exposed, and there was no need for it had we just been talking about uniforms. 

I think it’s possible as Long as the rules for the thread are spelled out in big boldface type. We’re talking about potential new names, what their new logo may be, if they’re playing in the current unis but with plain helmets, etc, and anything that references politics or debate around the name is instantly removed and the person reprimanded. 

my only fear with that is that I can see a lot of “innocent” people being suspended for posts that they didn’t mean to be political in nature but were maybe interpreted as such, and the current system doesn’t allow for an explanation -

it’s just straight to “suspended for belligerence towards the moderation team”. 

• Like 7

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The political threads were the worst thing about the forums.

Yep, that's part of the reason why I got banned way back in the day. I was a particularly bad case but I'm not the only person who's lost their temper when discussing politics.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Does anyone else have this issue? Everytime Im on the boards the page constantly is bouncing up and down. I think it may be because of the ads but Im not for sure. Its been happening for quite a while now.

Signature intentionally left blank

21 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Does anyone else have this issue? Everytime Im on the boards the page constantly is bouncing up and down. I think it may be because of the ads but Im not for sure. Its been happening for quite a while now.

Particularly when a page first loads. Yeah, the ads infiltrate the threads and cause things to bounce.

It's where I sit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.